Author Topic: Incessant biting  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Cheadlea

Incessant biting
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
Hi we have our first dog a 14 week cocker spaniel who we have had from 8 weeks. He is lovely but we cannot get him to stop biting - to the point where I am covered in bruises and some bites really hurt. He seems to want to bite and chew all the time. Trying all the usual distractions, Kong toys, time out in his pen. Saying ouch forcefully, giving him treats for any good behaviour have no effect at all. He seems to be permanently hyper even though he goes to puppy class and has lots of walks and exercise. He does seem to be worse with me than my partner but I spend more time with him. Any advice as to what we are doing wrong? Thanks

Offline PaulJ

Re: Incessant biting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
Hey and welcome to the madness of cockerdile pups. You are not alone.

Our pup is almost 16 weeks. Nipping and play biting has been a challenge. More so for OH, her calves were black and blue in the earlier weeks. Pup is soooo much better now but it has taken patience and calmness.

Pups will mouth, it’s what they do to explore. When the mouthing is gentle we coooed “gentle, gentle” with loads of praise and stroking. If too hard we yelped and ignored etc. A favourite toy is always to hand to distract when.necessary. Now the mouthing is very gentle and mostly a lick. Nipping is much, much rarer now. It’s almost like mutual grooming. When mouthing starts We stroke him, play with his ears and feet and he licks us before thinking about escalating to a nip.

We chose not to treat with the inhibition training so pup did not associate nipping with food.

At times it has been a torment and has felt like it will never get better but it did. Consistently and patience will prevail...keep at it. Everyone says it will get better...I am slowly believing!  :005:

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:04 PM »
One thing we did notice is when tired the biting is much, much worse. Z does not know when to stop and will fight tiredness unless we reign him in and enforce sleep through his routine. The more sleep he has the less nippy he has generally been.

We also learnt that mental stimulation and making him think when playing has reduced nipping too.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL,

You have some good advice from Paul already.  Just to echo a key learning for me, getting your pup into a routine of regular sleep, play, eat and going outside  ;) will help enormously.  (Wish I’d been active on COL with my first cocker  ph34r)

Pups need to sleep for around 18 hours a day.  If he isn’t getting that amount of sleep you may need to help him by setting up the routine.  Also, stocking up on wine, beer and chocolate definitely helped me with the biting phase.

Play biting is the pups means of finding their way in the world.  They are born with a sense of smell, then they have sight and hearing and next is the bite/taste.  Their eyes continue to develop for some time, it’s at least 20 weeks before they have depth of vision (sometimes bumping into things) and around 10 months before their hearing develops fully.  You role in their development is to help them through each stage, which includes bite inhibition.  We’ve used pieces of carrot, small fresh deer antlers (frozen so helped with the back teeth) and yakker chews to swap contraband and distract from biting.  We are luckier in that we have four resident, adult, Cockers who (after ignoring the pup for 3 weeks) play and interact with her which takes the pressure off us!

Good luck with your boy and if it gets too much, escalate to “gin status”  :005:

Jayne

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »
Hi. Welcome to the world of the bitey cocker! I have two, one never bit or mouthed as a puppy but the other one was dreadful!. It is true that it does get better.
Make sure pup gets enough sleep. A puppy should be sleeping about 18 hours a day.
I think long toys are good to use as your hand is further away from the mouth! Also, when you play with toys keep them low on the floor so the pup doesn't have to jump up which will encourage biting..
Self control is also important. Teaching a ' leave' command will also help in the future. Còckers love to sniff things out so place little bits of cheese around the house or garden and get him to sniff them out. That will tire him out.
 Good luck!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Digger

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 11:39:18 PM »
Hi Cheadlea

I just wanted to give you some reassurance as so many of the lovely people on here have done for me and boy did I need it!

Our pup (now 22 months) was quite frankly the most hideous bitey puppy I have ever known. It was not funny at all. We'd had a dog before-for 15 years-from a pup- but this new cocker was like a devil!!!  I was seriously concerned and reduced to tears on occasions.
She would stalk us like prey! It was horrible. And she bit and bit and  bit for months.
 We tried everything. (See my posts re Ian Dunbar...and all the others. I was beside myself). It seemed like nothing was working.

The only bad news is, you are probably a while off from being out of the woods yet.

However...

The good news is multiple:

1) yours is so young that it is so normal, you may not even have a bad biter on your hands at all- it may gradually reduce over the next few weeks so that the behaviour is well gone by 6 months as normal.

2)There is masses of advice on here. (What worked for us was enforcing a routine, even though you don't think the pup is getting it, just do the routine you want and be consistent . Yelling ouch etc never worked for us- it just made her more hyper).
 Time out in the boring hallway was the only thing that hit home for us. And we had to do that for months. 30seconds, then 1minute, then 1min 30. 3 strikes and you're in your bedroom for a sleep.
Or WE would leave the room. In the very moment she bit. Everyone in the room. All at once. It was not a relaxing time. We spent many an evening standing in the hall with a glass of wine while the film we were watching played to itself and the dog.

I really think ours was about as bad as they get (apart from her evil twin Leo haha-read her posts too!)

However, our now nearly adult dog- while still very much opinionated and feisty at times-is not a biter. She absolutely loves people. And cuddles!!!!!
I (of course supervise) but no longer feel dread when our little 2year old granddaughter comes round. She hugs and strokes Inca and they love being together. Inca will let her take her ball, brush her and genuinely likes to be around the little one. Our 7 year old grandson who is terrified of dogs loves her now, and makes a fuss of her with confidence that she is safe to handle.
Although it is a slightly double edged sword, Inca's mild guarding tendencies show themselves most with the children. A massive Staffie slipped its collar the other day and was bounding towards the two year old and our little cocker saw it off in no uncertain terms and then stood in front of the toddler until it was gone. She loves the children, and all people. She will usually go to the human for a cuddle first, before even saying hello to their dog.
Acceptance of the nightmare was a thing for us. We were not expecting to have to deal with that level of behaviour but once we accepted that that was what she was like and we were going to have to deal with it I think that helped.
Patience. Try not to get angry- keep calm.(I've shouted at my dog, don't worry-were all human but try not to- they seem to be so hyper sensitive that changes in tone rile them up)
 Consistency. (Even though it looks like it's not going in-just carry on with your plan). Try and develop the ability to look at your dog and laugh and say 'you idiot'.
Give yourself a break now and then.
Wine.
Did I mention wine?
I have come to realise that cockers on line is a drinking club with a dog obsession!

Clothing: skinny jeans and thick tops only for the frst year!
Make yourself the best thing In your dog's world. Eventually the dogs love for you will win out.

Hang in there with your shredded clothes and upside down life...it will get better.  :D

It will. Honestly.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:03:01 AM »
Great advice from everyone. We have been going through it too.
The saying ouch or yelping in many cases will excite the pup even more and make the biting  more determined ..... in his eyes you thought it was fun play .
Keep long tug toys all over the house within easy reach, I had one around my neck all the time. Use a couple of huge soft toys as a play barrier  :lol2:
If he bites stand up immediately and be a tree, if this doesn’t work then leave the room. Use baby gates and play from the other side if he’s being determined ..... as a last resort scatter a handful of kibble so that you can move away to get a break ..... but only as a last resort.
As others have said, lots of sleep and yakers chews have been a godsend.... our pup loves them.

Offline Cheadlea

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:42:52 AM »
Thank you for all taking the time to reply. We will persevere and try harder to get him to sleep during the day as that is something he does not want to do - albeit he is very good at night. Have a feeling this website will be very useful!

Offline Bettylove

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »
Hi I think Cedric and Sidney are related 😊 I agree with the others that when Sidney gets over tired or stimulated he gets nippy. So if he is tired he gets time out to sleep in his crate with a king or treats to calm him or if not tired I have a special tight toy that he just gets to play with us and I also do some training to focus him. Sidney is teething now so he is chomping on chew toys more. Having a puppy is great fun but exhausting!

Offline Bettylove

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »
Sorry- predictive text! A kong and a tuggy toy!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »
Digger I've just re read your Ian Dunbar thread and howled with laughter, that seems a lifetime ago  :005: :005:

Offline Digger

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »
 ph34r
Ah Ben's mum-i know!!! She has been a real challenge to the rulebooks but life is much easier than it was back then!!!
It was your great advice and that of others on here that did help me feel better though- hence why I thought I'd take time to write a small essay for this poor new victim of cockerdile hell!
They are not easy puppies!