Author Topic: Food amount  (Read 1481 times)

Offline PaulJ

Food amount
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
So, OH is getting worried, I am not but she has asked me to ask here. Although I have said if she is worried check with the vet although I am not sure he has forgiven vet for his first jabs last Friday  :005:

Feeding schedule from breeder was 400g over three meals per days which seems like a lot to me. Pup eats between 130g to 220g of raw food provided by breeder and we intend to continue with raw. Pup now 9 weeks, coat is in great shape and he is full of energy. Nothing to worry about as far as I can see.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Food amount
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
You generally aim to feed 3-5% of their predicted body weight 3-5 times a day.  Our pup came home on a regime of 3 meals a day but wasn’t eating the larger quantity, we switched her to 5 smaller meals a day (raw).

One solution doesn’t suit all - our girl is currently on 400-450gm a day at week 14 has dropped to 4 meals a day.  400gm does seem about right for your boy.

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 06:03:41 PM »
OH did mention this to breeder during a telephone chat sorting out some admin. Suggestion was to remove uneaten food and leave empty but dirty bowl then put food back thirty minutes later. This is to mimic the litter eating all the food since pup accustomed to eating with litter mates. Both parents are smaller cockers too so not expecting a large one when full grown.

More smaller meals makes more sense.

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 06:50:35 AM »
To much conflicting opinion around. Breeder says 400g per day, vet says 150-180g per day and food manufacturer says 240g per day. I give up with them all  :005:

Healthy coat, growing nicely (3.2kg at 11 weeks) and full of energy. Can feel ribs but not skinny. Eats between 160g and 270g per day depending on what way wind is blowing. Looks like common sense is going to be our benchmark.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
Don't worry about it. My dog was really skinny till he was about two years old. He's now filled out. He's still slim but I can't see his ribs anymore. Vet says he's healthy.