Author Topic: Toby at 11 weeks  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Gerryjane

Toby at 11 weeks
« on: May 04, 2019, 04:40:11 PM »
 Hi new to this forum.
We have now had Toby almost 3 weeks and like others we are exhausted having forgotten how how much hard work is involved. Puppy biting is the usual issue but tug e nuff tuggers and chasers are a real help to separate hands from teeth. Our main issue has been runny poo which was fine when he arrived with us. Have had blood in it too. Saw vet and have wormed him with milbemax and used logic firm paste together with a vet diet food and things improved by yesterday but pretty loose again today having finished the logic firm. He’s been fine in himself full of beans.
Looking to transition to better food..... the breeder used beta puppy and we used Eden for our retriever and he looked great on it. Any other recommendations would be appreciated, I’ve been looking at Forthglade.
Looking forward to your help, support and interesting threads   ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Toby at 11 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »
Hi and welcome from me and Humphrey! I can‘t offer any advice on food I‘m afraid, - Humphrey‘s fed raw which suits him really well but I‘m sure someone will be along soon who‘ll be able to help.
Looking forward to hearing all about Toby and hopefully seeing some pictures?  :shades:

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:22:49 PM »
Thank you so much. Where do I try to upload photos ... being a bit slow at the moment :lol:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:28:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Lovely to hear the new arrival is making an impression  :005:  Daisy is RAW fed, but Eden is a very god food, would you consider that as an option as you are obviously familiar with it and seem happy with it.  Before Daisy went on to RAW she was on Lily's Kitchen, and if we are away in the 'van' she has that for convenience sake.  Previously I have used Burns wet food and Nature Diet for our other dogs.  Lots to choose from, it is a bit mind blowing.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
I did try to start a transition onto Eden but not sure if that contributed to the “bottom” issues so stopped straight away. I agree that Eden is really good but like everything it doesn’t suit all dogs. It certainly is a bit of a minefield! We’ll let him settle down before trying another slow transition I think  ;)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »
Apologies, I didn't realise you had already tried Eden.  A lot has happened in his world in the last few weeks, so with everything that is going on, it is not surprising he has had a little bit of tummy trouble.  Definitely agree that it is trial and error when it comes to getting something that suits their tummies. 

Offline Toofast

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 07:45:52 AM »
I am a raw feeder, however I do use complete kibbles for emergencies, especially if I forget to take meat out of the freezer!!

Eden is a very good quality product but if too much is used it can cause runny poo's. Try using much less until the puppy's tummy is used to the product.
I sometimes use Millies Wolfheart, their "Forerunner" starts with a 40-60 mixture with other flavours graduated up to  80-20 the same as Eden. Maybe you could try this and work your puppy up to a higher protein very slowly. If you think that a 40-60 mix is too low in protein just add a little raw each day to boost the protein. Raw itself is easy for these very young tummies to digest.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
If you prefer kibble, all the better quality ones can be recommended, but even then some trial and error may be required depending on what suits (ie Jack tended to itch on Millie's for some obscure reason - now on Acana).  Besides Eden, Orijen, Acana and Millie's Wolfheart are all worth considering (other options are also available!)

Since this link tends to get posted whenever food is discussed, and for good reason, I'll do the honours.  Better have lots of your fave beverage (alcoholic or otherwise) and a spare couple of hours  :lol:

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 01:05:29 PM »
Hey Gerry,

Welcome. Your pup is same age as ours so we will no doubt be experiencing the same things over 5he coming months. Our pup is on raw and they are like bullets. The breeder fed the litter raw so we have just continued. He also said that if he fed kibble he would use Kronch and has done so in the past.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 06:30:12 PM »
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Toby is so much better already. Great to have found such a resource online. I’ve looked at so many helpful threads.

Paul, Zennor is gorgeous.... what a look! We too are suffering with the play biting and it’s my legs and ankles that are the favourites so far. I’ve resorted to wearing boots indoors til it calms down  >:( Apart from that, being armed with tuggies and chasers is  really helping with playtimes and redirection.
Looking forward to hearing more stories as time goes on  :D

Offline Bettylove

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
Sidney is on pets at home AvA food for medium breed puppies and it seems to be really suiting him. He is ten weeks old and it’s good to hear how your puppies are doing. He is a show type and if cockers  are similar at all to labs it does make a difference with the training whether they are working or show. I had both types of labs and the the working one picked up things much quicker and was always wanting to please. So I am ready for the long haul with training 😂 He can sit and do a down but I only practice recall when he is actually already on the way back to me to get him used to the command. If he is distracted there is no hope! He too loves my slippers/tights/ankles- I have tried helping and freezing but it seems to make him more manic! I have a tuggy so use that as a distraction. You mention chasers, I was wondering what those were? Looking forward to hearing more about your puppies 😊

Offline Neil

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
Bobby thrives on Millies Wolfheart, the online ordering and excellent delivery service make it a very convenient option.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 10:49:42 PM »
Thank you all again, lots to think about.
Bettylove the chasers are fleece or fur on the end of a very long canvas strip, Toby loves chasing it back and forth in the garden.  I use chase and tug as rewards and to help teach manners. Toby already knows that Thank You means release the tug. I get them from a company called tug e nuff as the quality is very good and there are lots of different types.

Toby was a bit like a Tasmanian devil this evening  >:D Something got him so hyped up. I tried some find it games using chicken and I think that might have done it. I have never known a pup so manic about food so I think he could still smell it. Never mind, we can have our first walk tomorrow. Wish us luck and I hope things are going well for all the new pups and exhausted owners  :D

Offline Bettylove

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »
Hi,
Thanks a chaser sounds like a good thing to have and I am very impressed Toby already knows a release command. Sidney has very manic moments and I am starting to link these to him being extremely tired/over excited or he needs a poo!
Hope Toby had a good first walk 😊

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 10:36:38 PM »
Tummy..the logic paste will firm it up with the thickening clay. If the poo is still runny or bloodstained after stopping it, the vet should give  antibiotics for gut infection.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.