Author Topic: Conflicting advice!!  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Saffi

Re: Conflicting advice!!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »
Stuffster, that's a great idea and they can fly me over from Sweden esp:-)

Saffi just loved her crate when we brought her home, it was her safe place esp. when there are other pets in the house, however I now only put her in at night and she sleeps straight through until 8am. I am sure this has been the reason for her excellent toilet training. She also loves to take things like socks and boxers into the crate:-)

As for shaking a puppy, would you shake a baby? Hopefully there is your answer!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »
PurdyRose - Marks videos are what got me interested in the whole 'clicker training'! Fantastic they are!  :D

Who votes we set up a petition to the BBC to employ Mark to make a GOOD rewards-based TV programme (featuring lots of cockers, of course!!) ??

That would be worth watching!!

3 cockers 1 lab and me vote yes definately  :D (think you should start a poll  :D  )

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
No need for a poll just add the list of all on COL!!!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

Bramble and Beri were in their cage from being small 8 week pups and now have it in the car so it is now a place they feel comfortable in when travelling.  It was brilliant when they were small pups and helped us also.  I sometimes have it in the kitchen now and put them in when they are wet so that they can still see us.......and they always go to sleep, snuggled up and content.
My husband also has an extra large cage in his office as he takes them to work with him everyday and they snooze in the cage when needed.
They don't sleep in the cage anymore just baskets in the kitchen but they are very well behaved and still only 10 months old. If I have the cage in the kitchen with the door open they tend to go in and sleep in it.

They still get over excited and puppy play but I would never shake them ! :luv:

Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline lopey99

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »
i thought crates were cruel too until i found this site and realised the practicalities of them, the only time they are cruel is wheni dog is locked in them al day but then it is really the owner thats cruel. Cassie loves her crate, i never lock her in it only because it is in her pen and sometimes i can get held up at work.

some people have quite old fashioned views on dog training (OH father has tried to tell me a dog should have a liter of pups before she is spayed!!) when you are starting out it can become so confusing over all the different training methods but i can honestly say the advice i have sought on here has always made perfect sense and puts dogs well being first.

i would say got with your gut instinct if your not happy with something dont do it - or come on here and your sure to get advice on the matter. A great book i got is complete idiots guide to positive dog training and i love it!

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »
It sounds like you are doing a great job, tell these people to get stuffed :005:
Love machine

Offline lopey99

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 08:56:04 AM »
wow can i just say marks videos on top barks they are amazing! I bought clicker and training books awhile ago but never really got round to doing it but seeing those has totally inspired me and it might help with our terrible recall!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
Having well meaning but "Know it all friends" is about as annoying as folk telling up how to raise you're children. All the advice in the world IMO are only guidelines suggesting ways how to do things, there are no right or wrong ways to do things just different. If you are happy with your way and your pup is happy then just learn to turn a deaf ear, they'll soon realise you're more competant than they gave you credit for and back off. Confrontations are just not worth it. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline purdyrose

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:58:53 AM »
Just looked at the video - how fantastic. I'm going to try this clicker training.
Yes, Mark would be fantastic on TV - it's a shame he can't come to my house. ;)
Rosie is loving her bed & sleeping right thru now (Perhaps I shouldn't say that now co's whenever I say she's good at something - it changes) Typical!!
I have been using the 'schutch' sound to stop things & also clicking my mouth & rewarding. She now sits & stays, comes when called - gives paw & then gets reward - how chuffed am I :blink: I do have to work on her recall when she's going into the shrubs tho'. I have resorted to shaking her treat box which does distract her SOMETIMES!
She's a real angel & seems really happy. She's asleep at the mo' - trying to pretend I'm out co's I go back to work next week & trying to get her used to being alone for an hour or so - I haven't been out so not spending any money!!!!
Leigh

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
If you're after good books, try:  'Before and After getting your puppy' by Ian Dunbar (who's one of the world's top behaviourists and is a great fan of crate training) - ever puppy owner should have it

and then, for clicker training, one of the best is 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training' by Pam Dennison, although of course the classic is still 'Don't Shoot the Dog' by Karen Pryor which is what started it all going in the 80s.  Anything at all by Jean Donaldson from Culture Clash' to 'Oh, Behave!' are brilliant.

good luck - and congratulations for coming here and asking the right questions of people who don't espouse antiquated ideas of dominance

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
Just looked at the video - how fantastic. I'm going to try this clicker training.
Yes, Mark would be fantastic on TV - it's a shame he can't come to my house. ;)
Rosie is loving her bed & sleeping right thru now (Perhaps I shouldn't say that now co's whenever I say she's good at something - it changes) Typical!!
I have been using the 'schutch' sound to stop things & also clicking my mouth & rewarding. She now sits & stays, comes when called - gives paw & then gets reward - how chuffed am I :blink: I do have to work on her recall when she's going into the shrubs tho'. I have resorted to shaking her treat box which does distract her SOMETIMES!
She's a real angel & seems really happy. She's asleep at the mo' - trying to pretend I'm out co's I go back to work next week & trying to get her used to being alone for an hour or so - I haven't been out so not spending any money!!!!

Glad to be able to inspire you. :D
Eceni's book recommendations are excellent, Dunbar also has video's and you may want to try and get hold of Joanna Hill's Motivation movie. ;)
The more you understand how your dog ticks the better you relationship will be.
You can Join the APDT Library for £15.00 which has lots of good titles as well as DVD's and videos.
I wish I had discovered it before spending the fortune on my own personal library. :005:
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
off to look for it now... my OH will be so, so pleased if I can find a library and stop buying books...  :005:

thanks for that

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
off to look for it now... my OH will be so, so pleased if I can find a library and stop buying books...  :005:

thanks for that

e

Problem is  Eceni I read them  find them useful and end up buying em anyway for reference. ;) :005:
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »

thanks for that

e

Problem is  Eceni I read them  find them useful and end up buying em anyway for reference. ;) :005:
Mark

Mark you never told me that bit  :o - you mean I'm still going to buying them I've read them  :005:

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
reckon he's right.... and then you can lend them to friends.  I've lost touch with my copes of 'When Pigs Fly' (which is brilliant) and 'Bringing SHadow to the Light' which is, IMO, the best 'rescue dog' diary there's ever been....

happy reading  ;)

e