Author Topic: Feeling inept  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Feeling inept
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
"I didn't have a problem with toilet training mine either- am speaking about a couple of sheets of newspaper for emergencies and my pup was clean and dry overnight early on".

In your previous poist you said paper down for twenty weeks!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
Poor you, I think it is far more difficult brining up a puppy that children, I was shell shocked when we got Selby and I have had dogs all my life but nothing prepared me for him >:D I thought also it must be me doing something wrong he would not eat, he would bite and really hard and just run riot and dig on the settee.  The only thing he did that was anything I would call normal would be sleep!!!! I would put him to bed at about 12 ish and then take him out about 6 and put him back to bed and cover his crate completely and he would go back to sleep, but the evenings!!!! I just could not cope with I would be in tears and thinking what have I taken on.  He is now 10 months old and I must admit he still has his moments of biting especially when he is tired and digging, but I just lead him to his crate and close the door and he has time out.  Things will get better just hang on in there :luv: I know now I love him to bits and it was one of the best things we did, I know when you are going through this time you think it will never end, but it does. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline DiJon

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »
Things seem to be settling now  :D.

We have incorporated a few changes and learnt a few new things which seem to work for Tia.

Have now put a bolt-on water dish on her cage so she has water 24/7 and a big blanket that we use partially during the day and almost fully through the night. She was still whining a bit during the day, so have started to leave the radio on and this seems to keep her settled. Last wee at about 11pm and we need to start getting up at about 6.30am as opposed to 7am and I think we stand a good chance of her being dry overnight as she was barking at 6.50am this morning.

Her 1st vaccination will now be on Tuesday evening, this has been delayed due to the antibiotics the vet started her on for her upset tummy. But stools are now back to normal on chicken and rice, and I have now started to introduce her kibble in with this.

Would like to say thanks for all the advice and kind words and hugs... much appreciated to have your support.  :luv:
Di & Jon

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Yey! You sound much happier :005: Glad she's starting to settle and things are falling into place. Keep posting when it gets to you, you have an interesting road ahead and they'll be lots of good tips people can help you with :D

Well done for now!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 05:17:09 PM »
:banana: :cool4: Fantastic news!!!  :D We do pretty much the same times with Dru and he's doing well. You'll have ups and downs as we all do, but you'll get there in the end I promise.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
So pleased to hear that things are improving  :cool4: :cool4: - well done you  :clapping: :clapping:

Hang on in there - it will be worth it in the end and it certainly sounds like you are on the right tracks.

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
We feel for you , we are going through the same thing with our 9 wk old jasper, love him to bits but my god its hard work. Went to vets today as he had upset stomach , hes now on a three day oral worming substance. We have had sleepless nights since we got him last friday and plenty of accidents from both bits although im getting clued up with the signs and pick him up take him outside where he goes without fail.

Someone mentioned a training excersise where you leave the pup in a room on its own and close the door, go back five min later and praise if quiet, then do it again but leave it ten minutes and so on, Jasper is just getting used to short spells on his own but night time still a problem. Going to borrow a crate and try this to see how he likes it before buying one .

I hope it all goes ok for you

Very tired Jaspers parents.

Offline mooching

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »
Glad things are getting better!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 12:56:26 AM »
So pleased to hear that things are improving  :cool4: :cool4: - well done you  :clapping: :clapping:

Hang on in there - it will be worth it in the end and it certainly sounds like you are on the right tracks.

me too  ;) :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!