Author Topic: Researching what we need to do for a new cocker spaniel puppy.  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Beth - Katelyn

Hello,
We are thinking of buying our first cocker spaniel puppy this summer and have a few questions.  The kennel club kindly recommended  this website.  The  first three questions are,  how high does the fencing need to be to stop the puppy escaping?  We have been advised not to get a dog flap until 9 months is that true?  Different books have given us different advice, do puppies need to go to the toilet on grass?  Our last question is, where is the best place to find a new show type cocker spaniel puppy preferably black, black and white or brown and white but character is MOST important.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
Re: Researching what we need to do for a new cocker spaniel puppy.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
Hi,
Never used a dog flap but my friend does and her pups just follow the older dogs out :D
My dogs prefer to go on grass but will go anywhere really.
There is a looking for a puppy section on here with good advice
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?board=23.0
Sarah
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:58:26 AM »
Firstly hello and welcome  :D

Im maddy and we have a 15 month old working strain cocker and she is the apple of our eye  ;)

No advice on a dog flap as I have never used one but I guess someone will be along shortly that has and can help. Willow likes to toilet where she can smell other dogs so for that reason I am guessing she prefers to go on grass, either that or in the spinny near where we live in amoungst the weeds etc. She will go else where if desperate but doesnt look happy about it.

I dont know re breeder of show types im afraid but I am guessing someone will be along soon with info to help you.

In relation to your fence, i know cockers can jump high, we have a 6 ft fence around 3 quarters of the garden and the other section a 5 foot fence, she has never escaped although when we first got her people advised us to replaced the shorter panels, this has never been an issue for us.

Maddy

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59:15 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

I'm Elaine, owned by 2 show type Cockers, 7 year old orange roan William and 2 year old blue roan and tan naughty boy Louis.

No advice on dog flaps, but with regard to fencing, we have 6 ft fencing round most of the garden and 4 ft panels in one area. We've never had a problem with that. Cocker puppies are naturally curious (very nosey in fact) and when they're small can wriggle through or under tiny gaps in fencing, so that's always been my bigger worry with new puppies.

If you have quite a big garden you might want to consider restricting access to a smaller area at first, simply because it means it's easier to supervise the puppy when it's out and if you have a digger (as many of them are) there will be less damage done :lol2:

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
Normal fence height is fine, like above gaps under fences are a problem, my pup gets under my car very easily and has managed to nearly dig his way under the back gate   :lol2: