Author Topic: Running off on walks  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Wernerlau

Running off on walks
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
Hi hoping for help or maybe reassurance ...

We have a 14 month old cocker spaniel.  His recall has always been dodgy - he is very impulsive and also quite confident (not clingy).  We have trained recall to a whistle and a cue word ("here").  He responds to both until there is something else too exciting going on!  I realise this is a failure of proofing but we're struggling with proofing as we don't really have stooges we can use for practice.  He is on a harness and long lead for walks and I can manage the situation when I can see a distraction (dogs/ small children).  But occasionally he just without warning accelerates and takes off without any obvious reason.  When that happens he goes completely deaf.  So I guess my question is does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop the running off in the first place (rather than how to recall him when he has)?  I reward him regularly for checking in, take toys on walks, change direction to encourage him to keep watching me and on the whole this all works fine but it doesn't stop the odd occasions when he just legs it.  Any hope that he might grow out of it??

Offline Gazrob

Re: Running off on walks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »
I feel for you my working cocker sometimes nicks off. His recall is fine until he finds something more interesting. What I advise is to continue to train recall, heel and stay with whistle when out on walks for 5 to 10 minutes. If he nicks off in certain areas keep him on lead if you think there is a chance that he's going to go. My dog likes to nick off in wooded areas if he gets a scent so I keep him at heel or on the lead till I know he's not going to nick off. Our walks are basically a management exercise. I also recommend a regular leather lead as when he's on the lead he has to stay by my side at all times. This also teaches him to heel. He can run around when I let him off lead.

Offline Digger

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »
Agree with what Gazrob said.
Also: 1) If he bogs off in a certain place, don't go there again for a while or he will practice being naughty and it will become habit. If you find a place to walk him where he doesn't bog off, go there for a while to practice the good habit of doing as he's told. I find mine (14 months) behaves out of conditioning rather than training.
2) Allow him to experience those things that make him bog off (other dogs, small children) but with your permission, so they become less exciting. A bit like a human teenager- you might find if it comes approved by the parents it's instantly less appealing!
3) Carry on with the practice and rewarding for doing as he's told.
 ;)

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:17:22 AM »
...and never use your recall word/whistle if you're pretty sure it's not going to work...

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »
Completely normal for an inquisitive Cocker.  Have read all the posts on COL along with all the books and watched all the videos - at least three times.  Jack is almost 4 and I'm still working on it.  He's pretty good now, but still not completely trustable, so no daydreaming on walks (easier said than done)!  He's not food orientated which doesn't help.

A good recall is the toughest nut to crack, and a long, hard road, but stick at it.  After all the effort I put in I was convinced Jack was a no-hoper.  He was at least 2 before I saw any real improvement.  Personally, I'm not a fan of heel training.  Have never seen the point.  For an adventurous Cocker it just seems to create added stress.

Consistent (but not boot camp level) recall training on a long line with zero 'off lead' temptation for at least six months cracked it for me, but patience (yours) and maturity (his) are the only things that will really help in the  long run I'm afraid. 

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
Heel has been a god send to me. He walks by my side on or off lead till I give the command to go and play. He does this with ease. When i first got him he was a nightmare pulling me on lead he was hurting my arms back and shoulders. I also sometimes use the heel command for recall as well. It sometimes works better than the normal recall command.