Author Topic: Bailey The Rescued Cocker  (Read 14274 times)

Offline theshrew

Re: Bailey The Rescued Cocker
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 01:47:14 AM »
Good news - Jill has been back at work this week, piece and quiet for meeeeeeee  :luv:

Obviously its the same at home but on a walk his frame of mind really affects how the walk goes

Monday - What a bloody mere, Sulk central - walked like we just got him, sniff sniff sniff wouldn't really walk.
Tuesday - Better but similar
Wednesday - He will sit on the same sofa with but if i sit at the other end = progress on walk to
Thursday - If i call him he sometimes comes and sits with me on my sofa

Friday - He's come and really get nestled in with me - He walked brilliantly today.

Re set weekend incoming  :huh:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »
He’s doing brilliantly. My neighbour fostered a stud dog, from a very well known Crufts champ breeder,Springers. . He was well cared for health wise,but that was it. Institutionalised from living in a kennel, he took a year to get over his neuroses. On a lead ,he just lay cowering. He later became a wonderful,loving boy.   
There is so much for Bailey to cope with, scents, noise, sights, let alone meeting people and dogs, and understanding his instincts.
From my experience,  kennelled breeding dogs, from good or bad backgrounds,  have more complex problems than a rescue stray.  They just need time, a routine, peace and love!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 01:42:00 AM »
Yes i think you are correct really, I think i probably expect to much to soon from him.

The fact he shows so much promise. I'ts clear to see he has the potential to be a normal happy dog yet within a blink of an eye he reverts to the opposite is sooooooo frustrating.

Actually he's started to bond with me a little more this last week or so and let his guard down.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:37 PM »
Institutionalised is a good description.  I think you don't really understand the complex needs of an ex-breeding rescue until you have one.  Progress may be slow, but going in the right direction.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 12:33:00 AM »
He certainly is  :luv: 

The change in him since the start of the year has been quite a lot tbh. He trusts me a lot more now, the more he trusts you the more love he gives back which is very rewarding.

Hopefully that will progress into trusting me when were outside to - Id love for him to be off lead eventually, thats a big ask though and would be a long time coming i think. 

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 09:55:40 PM »
From memory it took over a year for Lara to have a reasonable amount of trust in us, and longer with hubby as I think the puppy farmer was male.  Time will make such a difference, stick with it.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
You are making progress with him, small steps going forward (ok occasional backward too ) but in the main going forward

Loving reading his progress  :luv:

Offline theshrew

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2021, 01:09:14 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates recently but the progress has been fairly slow tbh. Its been 1 step forward 2 steps back but gradually getting better.

The last few weeks he's really changed while walking on his own, He would walk slightly behind or actually very well at the side of me before. I keep changing what we do if it doesn't work i've dried other methods, Now he is ever so slightly more confident he's started to get a bit cheeky and even pull. Not what i want but hey this is good for a little while i feel.

Then on the long lead hes normally at a slow canter at best, sniffing every blade of grass. The last 2 weeks THE ZOOMIES HAS STARTED to a fashion and has progressed pretty quickly. It takes ages for him to trust something is ok but when he does he's off + His attention to me has gone from little to pretty high. Today i've had a 100% sprint back for recall which was bloody brilliant  :luv: Just like a proper cocker.

It makes me so happy seeing him so happy, today was like a Eureka moment

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2021, 06:12:46 AM »
Wonderful news!! ! What better sign of happy  cockerism than a case if the zoomies!!  :lol2: It really sounds as if he‘s turning the corner, - not only a relief but it must also be very satisfying that your patience and dedication is seeing rewards. Well done to Bailey and very well done to you!!!
I love reading the updates, so keep us posted!  :bigarmhug:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2021, 08:04:35 AM »
Fantastic news - zoomies  :005: Ash has just done her first and I couldn't remember the name we called Fern doing these but zoomies is what we will call them now  ;)

Progress indeed and you should be real proud of what you have accomplished with him, so good to hear his attention is now on you and a fantastic recall no wonder you had an Eureka moment   :luv: :bigarmhug:

Offline theshrew

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2021, 01:00:38 AM »
Wonderful news!! ! What better sign of happy  cockerism than a case if the zoomies!!  :lol2: It really sounds as if he‘s turning the corner, - not only a relief but it must also be very satisfying that your patience and dedication is seeing rewards. Well done to Bailey and very well done to you!!!
I love reading the updates, so keep us posted!  :bigarmhug:

Its brilliant, frustrating but very rewarding to see tbh

He really is a very clever boy, its just getting the confidence in him that's the issue. Once he does something its like opening a tap from closed to open very quickly, he just gets it.

One things for sure i know we've done an amazing thing and given him a better life than he had previously.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2021, 10:33:54 PM »
Lovely to get an update, and great to hear the zoomies are now a thing!  :D  I think progress has been good.  It's more difficult for you to see it as you are too close.  Happy days.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 11:57:00 PM »
Trouble in camp

With Missy getting on a bit on not so keen on going for a walk much recently. We’ve decided Bailey would benefit from having another friend.

I wanted a Golden Retriever if truth be told but I don’t think I could cope with the hair especially not in my car so I decided on a Springer.

Say hello to Daisy 😍

[img width= height= alt=2-F1-D6940-9564-45-D4-8-EDA-77-F3-C7-ACA27-F" border="0]https://i.ibb.co/nDG8Kk0/2-F1-D6940-9564-45-D4-8-EDA-77-F3-C7-ACA27-F.png[/img]

Bailey wasn’t to sure what the score was for the first day or so I guess it’s a big change for him. After just over a week of having her he is really bonding with her.

He’s quite happy to let her sleep on top of him cuddle up etc. The last few days he can see what toys are for, the little fellas put his big boy pants on and dipped his toe into this thing called play 😍🤙 It’s great to see, he’s been making progress in general slowly but surely. This has been a bit of a kick up the backside for him which we were hoping for and will enable him to progress much faster going on this last week it’s definitely working.

I’m itching to get her out on walks now

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:25 AM »
Hello Daisy,  :luv:

Is your count 3 now? woohoo   I forsee great fun (and work) ahead, bless 'em all  :cool4: :banana:  :dance04:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 02:25:22 PM »
Hello little lady...you look a darling.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed