Author Topic: Tell me this teenage stage passes quickly !! Updated  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Ernies mum

Tell me this teenage stage passes quickly !! Updated
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »
Ernie is now 10 months and has previously been pretty well behaved .... However over the last few weeks he's developed a naughty streak . His latest trick seems to be ball stealing which can be very embarrassing !! If I see anyone walking their dog and they have a ball I usually distract Ernie , however this morning this didn't work . He ran off with my neighbours dogs ball and it took me 1/2 hour to get it back . Ernie thinks it's a game to run off with someone else's ball , previously I have taken a spare ball with me to swap but today I forgot it and he wouldn't trade the ball even for treats !!
Luckily I have an understanding neighbour but it was very embarrassing  >:D.

After that Ernie decided to bark at every dog on the field that wouldn't play with him . In the end I put him on the lead and marched him out of the field hanging my head in shame  :005:
Please tell me this is just a teenage stage and it won't last forever !!

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
Re: Tell me this teenage stage passes quickly !!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
That's one of Dolly's favourite tricks and Silkie now seems to be following up as well.
Don't know how you can stop it.
David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Try to put a positive spin on it. He is showing some spirit and character! Not Earnie's fault or yours if everyone else has a sense of humour deficit this morning!

Of course they settle down - but mischief is what they do best.

Sorry to be flippant but I couldn't help thinking how funny it was.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
Oh you have my sympathy in bucket loads. Archie is a ball thief and, adding that to his guarding problem it can be a nightmare. I have tried everything but cannot train him to give up the ball when out on a walk. Back at the car, yes. At home, no problem. In a field with an owner clearly showing to him that this ball is a very high value object and worth holding on to? Forget it. I can't run the risk of him becoming aggressive with an owner trying to wrench a ball out of his mouth. He never has yet but I know it's a possibility, however small. Some owners are good and listen to me when I tell them to ignore Archie and walk away but others rant and rave as if he's picked up the Crown Jewels! The "don't worry, I'll get it off him" from people who have never met my dog drives me nuts. I'm afraid I get really cross when people throw their ball in our direction or don't retrieve their ball from their dog before letting it come over to say hello. Archie knows not to go after a ball from a distance. That was done with lots of "focus on me" training and off lead heal work. The problem is balls that get put down in front of him by a dog that has come to say hello or that gets thrown in his general direction from behind us so I haven't had a chance to put him in the lead. I wish ball throwers would be more thoughtful and considerate rather than just have a go at me! If it's that precious, leave it at home or don't throw it near other dogs. (Sorry, rant over!)
The good news is, Archie is now loads better and, as I say, I can keep him away from balls and dogs at a distance. If they are close I always put him on the lead and I will ask owners to keep hold of their ball as he is a thief. I have to admit though, I do not take Archie to parks much and, despite it being on my doorstep, I never go to the beach. An on lead beach walk is no fun and there are balls flying about all over the place. It's such a shame.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
Try to put a positive spin on it. He is showing some spirit and character! Not Earnie's fault or yours if everyone else has a sense of humour deficit this morning!

Of course they settle down - but mischief is what they do best.

Sorry to be flippant but I couldn't help thinking how funny it was.
Totally agree, George and Hamish have a boxer friend who has just turned 3 he steals the ball from Hamish's mouth by tapping him on the head with his paw, it is all vey amicable. he also tries it with George, who hangs on to it for dear life and does not let go. most of the dogs we walk with steal each other's balls, I just go with the flow, we always go home with the right ones :shades:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
Oh you have my sympathy in bucket loads. Archie is a ball thief and, adding that to his guarding problem it can be a nightmare. I have tried everything but cannot train him to give up the ball when out on a walk. Back at the car, yes. At home, no problem. In a field with an owner clearly showing to him that this ball is a very high value object and worth holding on to? Forget it. I can't run the risk of him becoming aggressive with an owner trying to wrench a ball out of his mouth. He never has yet but I know it's a possibility, however small. Some owners are good and listen to me when I tell them to ignore Archie and walk away but others rant and rave as if he's picked up the Crown Jewels! The "don't worry, I'll get it off him" from people who have never met my dog drives me nuts. I'm afraid I get really cross when people throw their ball in our direction or don't retrieve their ball from their dog before letting it come over to say hello. Archie knows not to go after a ball from a distance. That was done with lots of "focus on me" training and off lead heal work. The problem is balls that get put down in front of him by a dog that has come to say hello or that gets thrown in his general direction from behind us so I haven't had a chance to put him in the lead. I wish ball throwers would be more thoughtful and considerate rather than just have a go at me! If it's that precious, leave it at home or don't throw it near other dogs. (Sorry, rant over!)
The good news is, Archie is now loads better and, as I say, I can keep him away from balls and dogs at a distance. If they are close I always put him on the lead and I will ask owners to keep hold of their ball as he is a thief. I have to admit though, I do not take Archie to parks much and, despite it being on my doorstep, I never go to the beach. An on lead beach walk is no fun and there are balls flying about all over the place. It's such a shame.
i  just wanted to say, i never throw the ball for the boys, when there are dogs, that we do not know coming towards us,  or who are in sight of us  i do understand, that some dogs might guard. In the mornings, we always meet up with same group of people and dogs, who all get on together  :shades:  It sounds like you have been working really hard with Archie  :luv:
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »
Sorry but this has made be laugh, little monkey...plus told earlier of friends 3 year old son in bank que running up total stranger and putting his arms round mans legging shouting Daddy Daddy then screaming place down when she pulled him away.

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Cockers and children why do we bother.....cause they are wonderful ;)
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:27 AM »
Thank you everyone . I can now see the funny side . Yesterday Ernie did the same thing so I called him and then when he wouldn't drop the ball and started messing about , I turned my back on him and walked off . He then dropped the ball and came running . Weve got a session with a friend of mine next Saturday who is a dog behaviouralist and are going to work on ernies ball stealing as I'd like to take him to the beach in the summer without him running off with everyone else's balls   :005:.

He's sat at my feet at the mo giving me the big eyes  :luv:

Offline Ernies mum

Re: Tell me this teenage stage passes quickly !! Update 31/03/15
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:00:27 AM »
After lots of training we've finally cracked the ball stealing  :D !!

On the advice of behaviouralist we practiced the drop command with treats , then moved onto rewarding with another ball. We started from scratch with fetch using back chaining, then progressed to fetch with two balls and have now fazed out the second ball .

I can now play fetch with ernie and he will bring the ball back and drop it at my feet for me to throw it again .

If he does pinch anyone else's ball ( which he doesn't tend to ) he will bring it to me and again drop it at my feet  :luv:.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Tell me this teenage stage passes quickly !! Updated
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »
smashing... well done to you both :banana:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »
Way to go Ernie  :cool4: :cool4: well done to both of you  :D
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
That's great progress, well done  :happydance:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Thanks everyone . The poo eating has improved too . Now just got to stop him stealing underwear from the clothes horse (which he's recently reverted to ) and we're sorted  :005:

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »
Well done. Very interesting. Can you tell me what back chaining is? Arvy was perfect at retrieve when a puppy but now likes running away with his ball, prancing about and then forgetting about it. He does usually bring it if I sound really serious and there is a treat likely.

Kate
Kate

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:19:32 AM »
Well done. Very interesting. Can you tell me what back chaining is? Arvy was perfect at retrieve when a puppy but now likes running away with his ball, prancing about and then forgetting about it. He does usually bring it if I sound really serious and there is a treat likely.

Kate

Hi Kate

Back chaining is starting from getting the dog is give/ drop the ball first and then working backwards to retrieving it , breaking down each stage as you go along . My friend who is a behaviouralist gave me the advice . We worked on drop first and she advised me to watch Chirag patels video of drop on you tube and there are various videos of back chaining a retrieve too . Once ernie had mastered drop in different locations he very quickly mastered the retrieve  ;)