Author Topic: Fluffyist cocker you've ever seen!  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
Fluffyist cocker you've ever seen!
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »
Hi I need some help, my 2 yr old working spayed cocker hasent ever been trimmed before.
But her coat has changed due to being spayed and she looks like an out of control wooly mamouth, she does look cute, but even days after long walks I'm finding things twigs, matting in her coat.
Thing is I don't want her cut to look like a show, I've no idea what to ask for. Anyone got any pictures ?
Thanks
First time cocker owner 🐶

Offline dawn

Re: Fluffyist cocker you've ever seen!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
Not until we've seen your piccies first! Woolly mammoth photos are a must.

Seriously Though, HEnry is not a show cocker, more of a mix really. We have his hair cut short, well shaved to a few cms really, every few months when it gets matted and twiggy!

I'm sure some better advice will come along soon......

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »

Here we are x

Offline Hamad

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 06:14:56 AM »
Why not have her cut shorter with only light but still shorter feathering on legs, tail, and ears using thinning scissors for a more natural working cocker look?

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
Yes that sounds more of what id like thanks

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
I have two working girls and I found their coats did change (for the worse) after spaying.  I don't like the look of a clipped cocker as I like my girls' coats to look natural.   I have tried most things to control their coats over the years (they are 7) and I have found the thing that works the best for them is the comb/rubber band on their backs and sides and then I use a coat king on their tummies and throats (the bits that don't show).  I do thin out their feathers in the winter and trim the fur from their pads to help to prevent mud balls.  It is a constant trial at this time of year but we have got the post walk routine down to 10 minutes now - hose down with outside tap and then microfibre towelling afterwards  ;)
The downside of this is that they do look a bit chubby compared to a clipped cocker but I know they aren't fat. ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline lrlrip

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »
Hi I need some help, my 2 yr old working spayed cocker hasent ever been trimmed before.
But her coat has changed due to being spayed and she looks like an out of control wooly mamouth, she does look cute, but even days after long walks I'm finding things twigs, matting in her coat.
Thing is I don't want her cut to look like a show, I've no idea what to ask for. Anyone got any pictures ?
Thanks

My nearly two year old working cocker is the same since being spayed.  She also has long hair on her head which and have no idea what to do with it. 

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »
Have noticed a change in Gemma coat since her was spayed. It has not grown but looks like it could do with a dose of conditioner
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
Well I bathed her today and used conditioner!!!! And she feels amazing, so feel free to use it. I mainly used it on her ears & back. Hooding she won't get so tangled

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
Irlip, your cockers fur on her back is just like mine(my dog!!!!!) I mean ha ha ha I describe it like cotton wool, definitely decided on a clipper and tidy up. You gotta keep her topknot though its cute : )

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
I would try the coat king method & thinning scissors first before going for clipping.

The coat king will help keep her back & side under control trim feet with Scissors,  I tend to clip with clippers inside of all legs.

The only reason I say not clip first even tho she has been spade clipping her back will encourage her coat to grow back thicker & all at the same time, thinning & stripping with coat king or comb & band won't change the coat as much as clipping.

A good tip with the coat king use on wet hair if there is loads to strip out then just use as an when I've had really good results on workers using this method particular the solid liver colour
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
I have used the coat king on my girl today for first time and she looks great.  only thing is whats the best way to use it on legs and other boney areas.  thanks

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »
Question   why does spaying affect their coats . My super sleek girl now looks like the pink panther when he stepped out of the tumble drier
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »
Question   why does spaying affect their coats . My super sleek girl now looks like the pink panther when he stepped out of the tumble drier

I 'think' its something to do with hormone levels, but I may be wrong  :huh:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »
My girl is a working cocker and I have her groomed every two months, I ask for a short back on sides on her body leaving feathering on her tummy and get her paws and legs clipped show with just a touch of feathering, I love her curls on the top of her head so her 'wookie' bits stay. I am lucky that my groomer took the time to ask me exactly what I wanted and between us we have settled on something that suits Kooki and fits with her running through every bush, bramble, thicket in woods..  Not the best picture but Fred is at the front and has a coat that doest need clipped and Kooki is at the back just after a haircut so you can see the feathering It was summer so had gone a little shorter to keep her cool
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce