Author Topic: Barney's not well!  (Read 4479 times)

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
Barney's not well!
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »
Have switched from the 'Feeding' section to here because I now suspect a more serious problem.

When I rescued 'the Lad' I noticed his poo was not good and solid. Despite my comment to the rescue kennel, I was reassured that it was probably stress due to being in the kennels and took this on board!

Having had Barney for a few weeks now I can categorically confirm that he is not stressed or aggressive (this note is for any insurance company rep that may be looking!!!) and despite my best efforts with an easily digestible diet ( yes, you insurance guys don't have to pay) his output remains loose to runny, and now has blood in the looser deposit. Furthermore, he has lost weight although he is still as active and doesn't appear ill?

A sample has now been taken to my vet for analysis and we await the results.

It is such a shame that rescue organisations (even KC approved ones) do not pass on the information a rescuer deserves!!!!

A case of caveat emptor again!! Totally p**d off!

Offline dawn

Re: Barney's not well!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
Hang on in there and keep your fingers crossed. Henry once had blood in his poo and runny stools, turned out to be nothing, and it settled down just fine.

How long has barney been ill for? Or do you not know?

Hope he's OK though........ :bigarmhug:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »
Hope its nothing serious.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »
Sorry to read Barney is not well - this sounds similar to Colitis which Minstrel suffered from as a young pup, if so his was treatable but I do have to be careful what food and treats he has.

Hope Barney is feeling better soon and you can find out the reason behind his illness  :luv: My vet told me at the time that Colitis can be bought on by stress.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Do hope Barney's vet can sort the sweet boy out and he is soon well.  It is so worrying and the worse thing is was this known.  I would see what the vet says and can advise.

When you get results I would certainly discuss with the rescue...I would like to believe they have a responsibility of care to Barney and certainly need to assist you.  Do you have any idea if he was fostered while with rescue...

Hope some one can advise you more...

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »
Blood in stools always looks extremely alarming, but if it's bright red and fresh looking it's very often just that something has scratched or irritated while on it's way through the dog's digestive system.

Fingers crossed that it's something very simple that perhaps a change of diet and perhaps adding something like Dorwest Tree Barks Powder will sort out. Weight loss always sounds alarm bells too, but because you've only had Barney a short while it might just be that you need to feed a bit more or something different until you find the food that suits him best and the amount that keeps his weight stable. Hope you get some answers soon and that he's OK :D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:40 PM »
Really sorry to read that Barney is unwell - hope the results give some answers and whatever it is, is easily treatable

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:52:05 AM »
Thanks all for your concern and support. I was a bit  >:D yesterday but have calmed down now!  :D

I am currently trying the Three Barks powder but as this has gone on for so long without a significant improvement I thought it best to take a sample to the vet for analysis. I also think it is Colitis but the lab will test for everything so I guess a course of anti-b's or somesuch will be prescribed.

Sadly, my e-mail some weeks ago to CAESSR about this has gone un-answered and the insurance will not cover for pre-existing conditions. Let's hope it is something simple!! ;)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »
Hiya
Sorry to hear your lad isn't improving.
i posted about our Ellie had terrible colitis
when she first came and wasn't house-trained either!
It did take a while for her to settle digestive wise, as i posted
I used Acidopihilus caps from Holland and Barrett and 
pro-bio goat yog as a matter of course for some weeks then gradually#stopped both
my feeling was that she needed to repopulate her gut with
better flaura and fauna and sure enough once the horrible greasy,
messy output stopped everything firmed up and was fine .
If he's having anti-b's the Vet might suggest pro-kolin paste
which does the same thing.
hth steffxxx

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »
Have you tried giving him yoghurt? If he doesnt actually seem ill, just doing runny poos, it sounds like IBS/Colitis which can be easily fixed by adding a spoonful of pro-biotic yoghurt to his food.

A few years ago, I had Nelly who had this condition. The vet prescribed some kind of paste which was quite expensive but which I managed to get all over my hands, but none into Nelly. The vet then said try pro-biotic yoghurt and it worked wonders  ;)

I recently adopted Vera from a show kennel. All was fine with her until I got her spayed, then she got an infection in her wound, requiring a short course of antibiotics. This cleared up, but then the wound started to open up and she got another infection in it. She then needed a long course of antibiotics and predictably, she got the squits (often in my bedroom overnight). I'd forgotten about the yoghurt solution until someone reminded me. I bought some Activia and started giving her a spoonful on her breakfast and all is well again now  :D

It's worth remembering if ever a dog has to have antibiotics, a little pro-biotic yoghurt can quickly restore the flora in his/her gut.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »
Many thanks for your yoghurt suggestion I will discuss with my vet when the results come back.

As he is now loosing weight as well as the occasional blood/mucus in his stools, I thought it was time for professional treatment.

As a matter of interest, what weight are your young adult (18 months) dogs. Barney is now down to 10.5kg (from 11.6kg when I first had him) and the vets seem to think he is 2kg underweight?

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
When Harry came to us at 8mths the weight dropped off him for the first few weeks, and he didn't need to lose any, I think it was all the stress of the move etc.  he was about 10kg for a year and was a skinny thing. 
Hope you get is sorted  :lol2:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
A while back, the girls had what I assumed was colitis but I just couldn't get on top of it for some reason. I took a sample in from Kali and it turned out to be campylobacter. Hope you get some answers soon x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »
Many thanks for your yoghurt suggestion I will discuss with my vet when the results come back.

As he is now loosing weight as well as the occasional blood/mucus in his stools, I thought it was time for professional treatment.

As a matter of interest, what weight are your young adult (18 months) dogs. Barney is now down to 10.5kg (from 11.6kg when I first had him) and the vets seem to think he is 2kg underweight?

Minstrel 18months was weighed last week and he is 12.6 kilo, which the vet said was good for him, but he did not need to put on any more. Minstrel suffered from juvenile colitis and it was quite a while - probably when he got to 12-15 months before he filled out and maintained his weight.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »
CAESSR may be as much in the dark about Barney's medical history as you are I'm afraid - dogs are often surrendered to them with little or no information depending on the circumstances - in some cases they are stray dogs :/

I am aware that the team at CAESSR have some "challenges" with IT so it may be easier to call John or whoever your point of contact is to discuss his condition - hope you get some answers soon

I've not had a dog suffer from colitis but have got a rescue cat who developed it about 6 months after she came home - she was a stray handed in to my vets, who then asked me to take her rather than putting her into a rescue - it seemed to coincide with her starting to relax and settle in to the house.  She's also had a recent bout of pancreatitis which was definitely my fault ( let her have some sardines in oil) so I now know that she has to have a very simple / plain diet.  My preference would be to have her on a good brand/high protein food but actually she thrives on the cheap stuff  :o

Also had a cat come home (age 12 weeks) with giardia - now that is unpleasant diawotsits  :020: - then picked up campylobacter about 12 months later. She is also on a simple diet and will not eat human food, thank fully!  Both conditions took some identifying but we're easily treatable.

Pearl cannot tolerate any of the better quality kibbles, she is predominantly raw fed but I do move her on to kibble while we are on holiday in the caravan.  It appears that anything over 30% meat protein upsets her digestive system and I have to confess to feeling guilty that's she's on Vitalin Senior when my budget would stretch to much better quality food   ph34r

I suppose what I'm trying to share is that it can take a long time to establish what works well for one of our furry friends and sometimes it's not the obvious choice!  Wise decision in my view to get him checked. I hope it rules out anything more serious than an imbalance in his gut,

Jayne