Author Topic: Any Tips on night time settling  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Chocolate Hero

Any Tips on night time settling
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
Archie on the whole is settling in well however night times are still a bit of a trauma. He sits and wines for ages took an hour last night to get him to settle. Im trying absolute puppy with him tonight with a wheat bag in his bed wrapped with some thing with our smell on. He settled great at the weekend when at my parents and I've come to the conclusion that he's probably never slept alone (he does sleep in a crate and is happy in there just not at night)

Any tips for getting him to accept that bed time isn't scary?
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Re: Any Tips on night time settling
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
Hwo oldis Archie?Is he toliet trained at night?If he is then it is company he is missing.Some people allow their dogs in the bedroom and Archie could then sleepon his own bed /crate and see you.you may even be able to use this for a short time.It was not an option for us. Pepper was only a puppy and needed to go out to wee.Islept in the room next to him for a few weeks and took him out without talking to him and he soon settled all night. It is very hard with a new dog,and cocker spanielsreally donotlike being on their own do they! Good luck.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »
hes 10 months. I don't really want him in the bedroom as the cats have upstairs and are still huffing at the dog. He's very Velcro and thinks he's missing out. He is toilet trained which has been a pleasant surprise.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »
Pleased to hear 'Fraser-Nash' (hahaha) is settling in well. I had the same issue with Barney when he first arrived and had a few broken nights with him whining/barking at being left alone, for the first time in his life, and in a strange place with strange noises!!

I found reassuring him and taking him outside for a 'comfort break' without any interaction but being firm putting him back to his bed immediately and then left, worked for me within a week however my dogs do spend the whole day with me from the start so this may take longer if you can't spend the time with them. Maybe I was lucky, but this has worked with all my pups and rescued dogs for as long as I can remember. They need to learn they are safe in their new home and in their bed, of course, and are not being 'locked in' to a crate. Personally I have never used one so can't comment on this way of training!

I wouldn't recommend letting him upstairs as it will be a forever preference for him and IMHO is the start of problems in the future with his training.

Hope you can get through this unsettling period with Archie soon.

P

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
Could you have a radio on quietly so he thinks he has company? Or a big teddy to cuddle up to?  :huh:

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
tried the radio and a small lamp so its not totally dark. he had my husbands jumper wrapped around a warm hot water bottle (could not get a wheat bag for love nor money). He did settle a bit quicker last night. i think a lot of it is he needs to learn we will always come back.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
Maybe try a clock in his sleeping quarters............................not that he's able to tell the time at 10 months,  :lol2: :lol2:, but a nice soothing tick-tock that replicates a heartbeat can sometimes do the trick!

Failing that try radio 3, that'll send anyone to sleep! :shades:

ETA: Forgot to say that the vet suggested using Adaptil so I bought a plug in version.......................................Barney sniffed it and looked at me.....................................................'Are you serious, don't you know this is a fire hazard' :005: :005:  Outsmarted by a Spaniel...again!!!

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
well with a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case we have had 2 very needed quiet nights. Seems to be working. just need to keep it up and work on the day time leaving. Radio 3 would certainly be coma inducing.

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »
Humbug likes classic fm. He hates pop music!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
How is Archie settling with you now.  Hope the night times are improving.  Can we have some photo updates please.