Author Topic: Working Cocker Clipping or Trimming?  (Read 6682 times)

Offline BattyPuppy

Working Cocker Clipping or Trimming?
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:17 PM »
Hello. Our working cocker is 13 months now and we've seen a change in her coat since neutering.
She does look very sweet, like a teddy bear! However, on a practical level, she goes running a few times a week with my husband and am having to bath her after each run and she is filthy and matted with mud even on the driest day, she is very attracted to puddles and any kind of mud!
Am wondering if having her trimmed would help out with this as an sure she doesn't want to be bathed that frequently any more than I want to do it!
What are people's thoughts on hand stripping/clipping/trimming? I don't want her to look 'clipped' as such as want her to look natural plus she is only a slight frame and taking away too much fur will mean people ask us every day if she is a puppy again....any advice appreciated. We live in South Manchester if anyone can recommend a good groomer local to us.
Many thanks.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Working Cocker Clipping or Trimming?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
Because her coat has changed since being spayed it's unlikely that hand stripping is an option. Cocker coats tend to alter a lot after neutering and become less manageable, and chocolate/liver coats tend to be more difficult and prone to becoming fluffy than some other colours.

You could try a Mars Coat King or thinning scissors to see how you get on with them, but if that doesn't work clipping may be the easiest way forward to keep her tidy. Have you tried letting the mud dry and brushing it out of her once dry?

Offline BattyPuppy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
Thanks for your help. Have had a look at the coat king and may give that a try myself first before taking her to the groomers. At least that way I have some control over how she turns out, don't want her scalping!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
The grooming of the coat comes up a LOT on COL  ;) :lol2:
I have given you a link to previous discussions which may help.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=114012.0;topicseen

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=113992.0

Hope this helps.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:00:55 PM »
Roxy will be 5 in May and I have managed to avoid going to the groomers so far....but tomorrow is the day. She is black and is also looking very teddy-like and has a curly coat now since being spayed. I have clipped her a few times myself but have now accepted that she needs to be done properly as we are walking the Dales Way next month and I want her coat to be manageable for that. I will post an after pic tomorrow but this is the before...

Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »
Roxy will be 5 in May and I have managed to avoid going to the groomers so far....but tomorrow is the day. She is black and is also looking very teddy-like and has a curly coat now since being spayed. I have clipped her a few times myself but have now accepted that she needs to be done properly as we are walking the Dales Way next month and I want her coat to be manageable for that. I will post an after pic tomorrow but this is the before...

My Marley looks just like Roxy  :luv:, but with a docked tail and slightly shorter ears.   I have never clipped Marley though and just rely on a coat king and the comb/rubber band.  Her solid black coat is much woolier than her blue roan sister and has definitely got worse since spaying. It seems sometimes whatever I get out one day grows back again overnight  >:(.   I do like the natural look (either though it does seem to add extra lbs to her shape   ;) :lol2:).  I look forward to seeing Roxy after her appointment  :luv:.

Offline BattyPuppy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:26:22 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the 'after' although she looks lovely just as she is! It is more of a practical issue isn't it. It is the crazy teddy legs of our pup that are causing the issues!

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »
The after pic- she looks like she did when she was a pup! I did go for an 'all'off' though but told her to leave her ears and tail alone :)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
Roxy looks beautiful  :luv:
Wish I could take the years off just by having a hair cut  ;) :005: :005:

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Tee hee me too  :005: :005:

I had forgotten she had a white bit on her front it's been so long since I have seen it!

BattyPuppy - she is totally adorable just the way she is - very much like our Bobby. I have never had him cut don't think he needs it. But I do know what you mean about their legs  :005:

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
I got a coat king 20 extra fine for my wcs, she too had gone fluffy since being spayed.  it works great her smooth shiny coat is back although I need to take some fur off her front legs but she looks fab again.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:33 PM »
if it's just her legs get some thinning scissors  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Hamad

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
The after pic- she looks like she did when she was a pup! I did go for an 'all'off' though but told her to leave her ears and tail alone :)

Stunning and your place looks beautiful!  :luv:

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
You've now got me thinking that both Dolly and Silkie could do with a clipping.
Silkie's the spitting image of Roxy but at the moment the before picture.
David
Dolly & Silkie