Author Topic: Billy no mates, any good?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
Billy no mates, any good?
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »
Hi
I am thinking of trying Billy no mates, has anyone used it? Does it really work?
Has anyone had any negative effects from it?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Billy no mates, any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Hi

There was a thread on this subject some time ago which became a bit controversial if I recall rightly  ;). BNM is a herbal remedy, which if you are happy to use I'm sure has benefits but if like me, you prefer scientifically proven and certified medications you may wish to do further research before making a decision - which I guess is the purpose of your post!

What do you want to use it for? Is it something specific or general preventative as there may be others on here with their experience or suggestion of alternative products.

The main ingredient in BNM is neem.  After a lot of research, which included purchasing BNM and using it for a short time, Pearl now wears a scalibor collar from March - September and is the treated with Stronghold (mites) moving on to Frontline over the winter!

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »
I cover my dog with advocate at the moment, and was looking to add a little tick cover in during the summer months.  I tried a ceresto collar last year, but even though it was quite loose it rubbed on her neck so won't use it again.   So just looking at all alternatives really....

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »
I swear by it. We have a lot of ticks here and Archie is a magnet for them. Before I started using it I was removing 4 or 5 (crawling, not yet attached) ticks on every walk. Now I rarely see any. I prefer to use it as it is a deterrent. Other treatments require the dog to be bitten in order to kill the tick and given the possibility of disease being transmitted through the bite, I prefer the BNM route. It also works for fleas but I do keep stronghold in the cupboard just in case. The inclusion of neem is what puts some people off but it contains neem leaves and not neem oil (which is made from the nut, not the leaves). Neem oil has some negative side effects.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »
I cover my dog with advocate at the moment, and was looking to add a little tick cover in during the summer months.  I tried a ceresto collar last year, but even though it was quite loose it rubbed on her neck so won't use it again.   So just looking at all alternatives really....
Pearl hasn't had a problem with the Scalibor collar but I guess it may not suit all dogs  :-\

We travel around the UK quite a bit on holiday, I asked my Vet for the best product to use but the advice was it depends on the season and region hence resorting to the collar.

I'm sure they will be others on later who can give more information on alternatives including BNM  ;)

Offline rubybella

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
Have been using BNM for over 2 years now. No fleas at all and only the odd tick, but then even when used chemical treatment they still got ticks! I do use it all year around though as I just don't think the winters have been cold enough to kill off any little blighters really. I am not worried about using Neem as I believe that the chemical treatments are far more toxic bearing in mind you mustn't touch your dog after using it!