Author Topic: Almost constant circling  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Gwpb

Almost constant circling
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
I have a 10month old working cocker who has "circled" since I got her at 10weeks. She only goes clockwise and circles a lot. She circles outside & inside. She circles during training, whilst retrieving, circles around other dogs, people, chairs, tables etc. You get the picture. I've tried a deep "argh" to stop it, tried ignoring it, tried praise when she's still & chilled out. I can take her to work so she isn't left alone for long periods, she's crate trained but I hardly crate her any more. I've booked her into see the vet as I've read about inner ear infections or vestibular disease but was wondering if anyone out there had any experience or thoughts about this problem?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Almost constant circling
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

I don't have any experience or knowledge of her behaviour, but I think taking her to the vet is a good idea. Could you film her first so that you can show the vet? Hopefully it's nothing more than a habit, but even if so, I can understand how it must be frustrating and worrying for you.

Perhaps if the vet rules out any medical cause you could seek out a behaviourist or trainer to see if they can identify the cause and come up with a plan to help.

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:20 AM »
Are you talking about spinning around almost on the same spot?
If so then both of my girls do this especially when excited.
We call it helicopter spins and Dolly can reach quite a height off the ground when she does it.
For example in the morning just as I'm about to let the gruesome twosome out for their morning pee in the garden Silkie's always spinning around in mid air at the door prior to escaping into the garden.
David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
I too have a helicopter cocker  :lol2:  Archie will spin for ages when he's excited (feeding time/walks/playtime etc) but never seems to get dizzy....  Others have remarked it's not normal behaviour but he only does it at those times and I can't seem to stop him anyway so I'm hoping it's just his giddy ways  :luv:  I would however consult a vet if he started doing it outside of these times (ie. when he's not giddy). 

Hope you find out more from your vet.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
With Kez it's when she is to be fed, we call it the "Whirling Dervisher" (don't know how to spell it)  :005:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Gwpb

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
No it's not the excited cocker circling (although she does do that). She'll just get up and start jogging in a circle when inside- sometimes around an object such as a chair, table, person, dog or just around and around. She does it outside to.
She'll do it after exercise, training etc so I've pretty much ruled out it being stress or boredom related. Its a distinct difference to being happy or excited or needing to go to the toilet. It's very strange and I've never see another dog (cocker or otherwise) do it.
Going to vet later so will see if they have any thoughts.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
I have always taken a video of things that baffle me with the girls. It helps the vet no end. Hope it isn't anything to worry about x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Gwpb

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
Vet update in case it happens to anyone else:
 Luckily (if that makes sense) she went straight into circles at the vets, so he had a good look. Did a load of balance test & something called the hop test. He ruled out ear infection & vestibular disease. Most likely a brain lesion caused at birth. Have three weeks of steroids to see if that helps if not then will have to be referred to a neurologist.
Thankfully it doesn't effect her quality of life etc, it just means she will forever go in circles.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
She will have her own unique style!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe