Author Topic: Secondary fear phase - fear of wiper blades.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Norton

Secondary fear phase - fear of wiper blades.
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:37:40 AM »
We set out in the car a couple of days ago and it started to rain.  My until now unflappable 14 month old sitting secured in the passenger seat freaked out, whining and pressing herself against the back of the passenger seat. I thought it was the sound of the rain against the windshield that she didn't like, but it turns out it's the motion of the wipers that spooks her.

Not quite sure how to handle this one. I'm thinking I shouldn't expose her to the fear too soon, yet she needs to travel.

Any ideas ?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Secondary fear phase - fear of wiper blades.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
Could you get her a crate for the car?  Coco has a soft crate in the back of my car and she is happy as Larry in it.  If you position it right, she won't be able to see the wipers or be bothered by them, or he may just get over her fear being safe inside the crate.
Julie and Watson

Offline Norton

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
I've though of that, but I'd really rather not.  I'm become used to my dogs riding up front with me.  She has a seat-belt, and other than the wiper-blade issue, seems to enjoy car travel.

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
You could try him on the back seat with someone feeding him treats while the wiper blades are going. Then if he can cope with that try same on front seat. This may take a few goes and I would make sure the windshield is wet so that the blades don?t make that awful dry rubbing noise.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:27:52 AM »
We had this exact issue this week! Leo rides on the back seats (harnessed in). On Monday morning i was defrosting the car and turned on the rear wiper and leo flipped out, wriggled out of his harness and ended up on my lap. Luckily this was while i was still stationary on the driveway. For the rest of the week i have been using the wipers sporadically and everytime I turn it on I throw a bit of kibble onto the back seat for him to scramble around and look for. So far no more freaking out so it seems to work for us.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
I think a crate is a good idea personally. Safer for you and the dog. Or depending on the type of car you have put some bedding in the boot and let the dog lie in the back and the dog can look out the back window.

Offline Norton

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »
Looks like this might no longer be a problem.  It's been drizzling all day and we had to run a short errand in the village requiring the car.  As soon as the wipers went on, she reacted but I calmed her and touched the inside of the windscreen as the blades were moving across. She seemed to understand that they're not a threat. No more crying.   

Smart dogs, these.

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
That?s great to hear. Happy journeys!