Author Topic: Maisie  (Read 1847 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Maisie
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:46:34 PM »
Help needed.  Maisie is becoming quite aggressive towards other dogs when I walk her.  I am trying my best to stop this very unwelcome behaviour by giving a sharp tug to her lead and telling her firmly NO.  Making her sit and focus on me and again telling her NO.  Maisie is deaf so this is a little difficult.  As soon as she sees another dog approaching, normally on the opposite side of the road at the moment, she is ready to fire up and bark and display aggressive behaviour.  None of my other Cockers have ever behaved like this and I don't know if it's part of the "protecting me" aspect of her personality.  It is worrying me as I have booked a holiday in June with Maisie in a cottage in a very "doggy" area on the edge of the Lake District.  The absolute last thing I want is to be walking a dog who is going to fire up every time we come across another dog.  As I will be on holiday on my own with Maisie, although I plan to meet up with friends who live in the area, this could prove to be a difficult situation.  I do now have one of those Yellow signs attached to her lead warning people not to approach her.  I would add that Maisie is never let off lead because of her deafness.   Any advice please. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Maisie
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:57:48 PM »
It sounds as if Maisie has found her feet and now sees her role as protecting you. Rather than rebuke her for what she‘s doing wrong (for her its a natural reaction), I would try to make her understand what you want her to do instead. Firstly, try where possible to put yourself between her and the dog or person that she‘s barking at, where possible try to avoid a head on approach which is confrontational in the doggy world - you can try and cross over the road or make a wide circle when going past, or even turn around and walk the other way. . Try and distract her if you can, a ball on a rope, a favourite toy or a treat works well for us and then praise and treat as soon as she‘s quiet. Another option is to get her to sit, you can also use a distraction and praise and treat when she’s calm. The object is to get her to understand that you have the problem in hand, she can relax and let you take charge. Do you know anyone else with a dog who would help you set up a situation so that you could practice? Its far easier to train for a situation before it occurs when you’re both stressed and  you’re more than likely to react without actually thinking.
You‘ve done so well with Maisie so far, I‘m sure you’ll be able to sort it. !  :luv:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »
Thanks for your advice and Yes I am doing some of the things you suggest.  I always have some kibble in my pocket as a reward for good behaviour.  At the moment we do not very often come "face to face" with another dog because, as I'm sure you know, everyone crosses the road when they see you approaching  :005:  There is an area very near where I live which is quite rural and in this area there are some narrow paths so crossing the road is not an option.  I know I have done well with Maisie and she is an absolute treasure.  A good friend has offered to take me and Maisie to a lovely local park a couple of times from next week where there will be many more dogs so that I can try and manage this behaviour.  There is also a very nice cafe where we can get a coffee after the walk  :banana:

A very experienced COL member has previously messaged me to congratulate me on both taking her on and persevering with some of her pretty challenging behaviour.  This lady said most people would not have done what you have Andrea.  I don't  feel particularly proud, I love her dearly and Maisie had paid me back tenfold with her adoring looks and cuddles. 

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
The one thing I would add, is what Daisy's trainer told me, is that for challenging situations, take really good treats.  Daisy loves sausages, so I chopped them into tiny pieces.  If I needed a big distraction, I would give her a piece, and drop a few so she had to find them.  It kept her busy for a little longer.  Daisy has definitely gone backwards in lockdown, there is no doubt about it.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 08:30:36 PM »
  Daisy has definitely gone backwards in lockdown, there is no doubt about it.

I said exactly the same today when I had to walk through the city with Humphrey, we‘ve got a lot of revising to do! :shades: Training really is a lifelong exercise!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 06:50:21 AM »
Yes I know what you mean about Lockdown dogs.  I was a little unwell the week before last and a friend called to see me on te Saturday afternoon at around 4.00 pm.  It was a freezing cold day and I said to her no way am I sitting outside in this so I opened a couple of windows in my lounge, which is quite large, and she sat at one end and I sat the other.  The look on Maisie's face when my friend came into the lounge was priceless.  If looks could kill Bridge would be 6 feet under now.  "Who are you and what are you doing in MY house was definitely the message".  It was hilarious.  Bridge said well of course no-one has been in the house for months have they Andrea.  We did laugh at her. 

Maisie also loves sausages.  I will try those because at the moment I have a small amount of kibble in my pocket which does work.  I used your tip bizzylizzy the other day, we came across a Black Labrador, off lead, on a narrow path which leads to my local countryside walk.  I saw the dog approaching and made Maisie stand on the grass area at the side of the path, I stood in front of her and made her focus on my face and told her No and it worked a treat, not even a grumble, so I was really pleased. 

Onwards and upwards with this one.  :luv: :luv: