Author Topic: Pig ears... can he have them?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Roslyn McConnell

Re: Pig ears... can he have them?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »

Yes.

Some dogs can find the pig ears a bit rich though (causing a bit of a runny tummy) - they do diet ears which are less fatty, so more delicate on the tum....
 ;)

:005:  :005:  :005:  :005:  :005: sorry I find the thought of 'diet ears' really funny! I must be having a 'silly day'!!!!

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 11:45:56 PM »
Thanks. Are the puffed pigs noses good? and I'm sure chicken feet would have bones in them, wouldn't it?

Never tried the noses - just don't like the look of them.  They don't look that chewy though  ;)  Not sure about chicken feel - are you talking about raw feet off a chicken?  I have never seen them for sale otherwise - can't think they would be very nice - they must be just bone and claw with a bit of skin.  You could try him with a raw chicken wing though - great for keeping teeth clean too.  :D  Until he gets the hang of it, you can just hold one end of it to make sure he chews it up properly and doesn't swallow it whole  :o :005:

Dried chicken feet are quite crunchy and chewy (a bit like dried chicken stomaches) I don't know if there are bones in them, but they are technically still raw, so won't splinter, I don't think.
The puffed pig noses are really great - my two love them and they are chewy - a bit like marshmallow  :lol2:

Please tell me you are basing your descriptions on observation only!!!
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »
Thanks. Are the puffed pigs noses good? and I'm sure chicken feet would have bones in them, wouldn't it?

Never tried the noses - just don't like the look of them.  They don't look that chewy though  ;)  Not sure about chicken feel - are you talking about raw feet off a chicken?  I have never seen them for sale otherwise - can't think they would be very nice - they must be just bone and claw with a bit of skin.  You could try him with a raw chicken wing though - great for keeping teeth clean too.  :D  Until he gets the hang of it, you can just hold one end of it to make sure he chews it up properly and doesn't swallow it whole  :o :005:

Dried chicken feet are quite crunchy and chewy (a bit like dried chicken stomaches) I don't know if there are bones in them, but they are technically still raw, so won't splinter, I don't think.
The puffed pig noses are really great - my two love them and they are chewy - a bit like marshmallow  :lol2:

Please tell me you are basing your descriptions on observation only!!!

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Surely everyone samples their doggy's treats don't they?  ph34r
Julie and Watson

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
Surely everyone samples their doggy's treats don't they?   ph34r

Oh!! yum yum :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 02:46:34 PM »
Ollie loved his puffed pig nose. Kept him entertained for about an hour. I bought a pigs ear as well, as they had no cows ear, so will try that tomorrow. Had pig trotters. Quite large so I'll wait until he's older for that. How often should I give him a pig nose/pig ear?

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »
we prefer pizzles to ears and both of ours have runny bums on ears - even cow ones.

Pizzles are a great treat as Jessie doesnt seem to gain weight with htese like she did with ears.

I would give an ear daily maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »
My two love rabbits ears - thats their absolute favourite treat :blink:

sue, zak and strider x
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline theshrew

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 11:43:17 AM »
Missy goes mad for Pigs ears keeps her happy for hours.

The first time i gave one to her she had it all and she got a runny bum bum for a day or so afterwards. Now i cut them into 3 pieces and she has one maybe once every 2 - 3 weeks.

I tend to give her boiled knuckles more now as i think its probably better for her plus helps keep her tooth pegs clean.

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
One of our old cocker's Lucy was really ill from eating pigs ears so I don't like Bramble and Beri to have them....I have given in a couple of times but they were sick. They do get treats but I would rather it was carrot or apple  :luv:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 06:16:08 PM »
He loved the pigs ear and thankfully, it didn't upset his tummy at all. So, now he has one pigs nose, and one pigs ear a week.