Author Topic: Henry's Loose-leash training - a diary  (Read 8956 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Henry's Loose-leash training - a diary
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
Sounds as though you are making real progress with his heel work  :D

Don't rush into recall.   Get his basics right first, he's already given you a hint of what is to come by doing "the meerkat" impersonation.... Much as I'm sure you want to be able to see him run round, off lead, it really is worth persevering with the long line until he's passed the chase age.......which can be after 2  ;)  Wish someone had said that to me and I'd listened...... We are off to more Gundog lessons as Coral has recently discovered what the ground scent really means.  We are not just back to basics but not able to be off lead at all, again  :-\

Jayne

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks, Jayne! Yes, I agree about the recall. I'm working on all his basics while keeping him on the long line. We need a solid down-stay for starters. I'm also going to focus on his recall in more basic situations. I'm ashamed to say I can't even recall him from the garden anymore.  ph34r ph34r
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline AlanT

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
I've begun to realise how much harder it must be to work/train a Cocker if you can only use a park.

I have given up using my local Common because there are too many roads, other dogs and possibilities to get into trouble.

Fortunately I've two huge forest areas around here. One of them, Ashridge NT, is so huge and wild I've to use a GPS tracker or I get lost.

I do need effective recall though!

Offline lescef

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »
Sounds like you are doing  well.
Bramble get so obsessed with the food that she walks straining to look at me which is no good for their necks. As she doesn't pull so badly I click and treat her when she's walking and looking around her rather than at me. Maddie isn't there yet. Her nose is still to the ground!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »
Just in the interests of balance, am posting to say we had a shockingly bad morning. I was not in a great mood and Henry was already agitated by the workmen building a shed in our neighbours' garden. I did some training with him before we went out (reinforcing some basic obedience before my Friday dog walker threatens to quit on me!) but Henry was just all over the place when we got to the park. Just as I got him settled down to some nice walking a jack russell jumped up and stole my bag of treats. So I had nothing to reward him with and he was pulling all over the place with me desperately trying to not let him reinforce it.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »
Start carrying a Tennis ball. You can get small ones.
Always good for "distraction" and rewarding.

You can clean and even descale my dogs teeth, by putting a ball in his mouth and holding it.
Dogs that are "ball-obsessed" are easier to manage.

Excuse to show photo of my dog!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Henry is not toy motivated when we're walking although I'll give it a try as things change.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
I agree with Alan. If your dog is interested in balls they can be great for getting the desired response. Millie will walk to heal perfectly on a field if I am holding a ball.
I've not tried it on a pavement walk yet bit I might do today.

Edit.....just seen the above post.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »
If you train a dog to fetch a ball then it helps with general recall.

I started ball training at the same time as toilet training.

Have a wee and fetch a ball. Worked a treat.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
I've tried repeatedly to train Henry to play fetch. Just. Not. Interested. He just wants to play tug with the ball. Will drop it for a treat, then I'll throw it. But once he's done that a couple of times and realised we're playing fetch and not tug, he drops the ball and gets his tug toy.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
I find a ball a distraction, to be honest. If Humphrey's been doing well, he gets to play as a bit of a reward but then I take it away again as the ball is the main focus of his attention instead of me! He loves racing after it and brings it back but won't drop it willingly and becomes so possesive with it, I don't think its good to let him have it for too long.
We've got a labrador staying here at the moment, so the training's on the back burner at the moment, they're both so excited all the time, I just haven't got the patience. . On a more positive note though, the lab saw two deer this morning and shot off with Humphrey in persuit - one blast on the whistle and Humphrey was back with me, - took another 5 blasts before the labby finally turned back! :banana: :banana:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
I do take a ball on a rope out with me sometimes but I find Henry just gets too hyper with it in a way he wouldn't at home.

Great to hear Humphrey is doing so well with his recall. I'm starting from scratch with the whistle, random times at home, occasionally when he's on the long line. I'm sure it will come back quicker than it took to embed in the first place.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
Better day today. We did some long line training in an open field first, then a walk in the woods. I normally let him off the lead in the woods as he stays close but he's been going further and taking longer to get back to us - minutes at a time, which feels like an eternity when you can't see or hear your dog - so I'm reluctantly keeping him on the lead in the woods too.  :-\

Anyway, he managed some loose-lead walking in the woods, which I think is pretty good with all the distractions. I'm also working on getting him to do a 'down' outside the house. He's always been very reluctant to lie down on command outdoors, I think it makes him feel vulnerable. I interspersed the loose-lead training with some 'down' training, just so he didn't get too bored, which he seemed to enjoy once he got over his initial desire to do a curtsey instead of a proper down! And of course I let him sniff every tree, bush, bramble...

As a side note, I have a dog walker take Henry on Friday mornings. He's been walking Henry since he was just a few months old but he's just told he can't take him any more because if he lets Henry off the lead, he disappears and does not come when called. If he keeps Henry on the lead, Henry pulls him all over the place. While this is a complete pain for me, I think in the long run it will be better for Henry, as he has been getting to do all the things with the walker that I've been trying to train out of him. Hopefully with a few months consistency and a bit of maturity on Henry's part, he'll be able to go out with the walker again. They adore each other, so it's a sad day.  :'(

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
That's a shame but I suppose you can understand how he feels. I think you're right about the training though, its quite possible that Henry's confused about what's expected of him. I just don't seem to be getting any further and since our labrador visitor has been here, Humphrey's just so distracted, he's pulling worse than ever.
Hope the penny drops with Henry soon so he can enjoy his Friday walks again!  ;)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
I have to admit I did sit and have a good cry, just out of sheer frustration. A few months ago he was off-leash, enjoying the woods and field and walks were... fun! I know we'll get back to it eventually.

I'm sure Humphrey will get back on track once your visitor is gone. We are definitely making progress, albeit slowly.