Author Topic: Henry's Loose-leash training - a diary  (Read 8954 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Henry's Loose-leash training - a diary
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 07:30:57 AM »
Millie is still not good on a lead but.....

She now has a habit of dropping back, walking behind me and then walking along side Murphy with a perfect loose lead. Then she does the opposite and returns to her normal position on my right where she pulls like a train.

She does this continually during our walk. I don't understand why she only pulls when walking on my right when on the left she does a perfect heel.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2016, 07:48:41 PM »
Yes, I've made that mistake - I only say it at the moment if he really is walking well, but I suppose, thinking about it, it is a bit unnecessary. Thanks!
By the way, this diary is really keeping me motivated, it was a great idea!

Glad you're finding it helpful, I was worried about boring everyone!

For that last three days, Henry has been walking beautifully. I don't want to jinx it, but I think we are getting there!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
Wish I could say the same! Well done, keep it up!!!  :clapping:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »
Wish I could say the same! Well done, keep it up!!!  :clapping:

Pep talk time! Where have you got to in the process? Is there one place or situation where the training just not getting through? It's taken all this time to get Henry to walk nicely from the car to where he goes on the long line and even now there is one place that he loves where he still can't help pull me. When it's at the beginning of the walk it is so frustrating. I had a few 45 minute walks where the first 20-30 minutes were spent practically not moving.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »
As my trainer remarked with a sigh on Saturday " uh uh - Humphrey's back in Humphrey World again"! and that just sums it up!! When we leave the house, I get him to sit and then calmly walk off, if (when!) he pulls, we stop and he'll reposition himself and and we can manage a calm walk to the corner, where we come on to the main road - which is where the smells start - the cows walk along there to the field and there are several other dogs that have gone before us, so nose is glued to the ground and I could wave a side of beef in front of him, NOTHING will get him to look up. When we get to the place where we always cross over, he's back with me again and sits automatically and waits til I start off again. Shortly after that, he's off lead and he's rarely far away, and if necessary will walk perfectly to heel, - we've walked passed goats and cows and he'll stay with me.
Its the inconsistency that's so frustrating, some days or in some places he'll  walk beautifully but then at other times he just goes off into fairy land!! BUT on the plus side, he's been really good on his recalls lately and the last couple of days I've managed to get him to stop and sit at distance, so I have to be thankful for small mercies!!!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »
Is he pulling while he's sniffing? Now that Henry is behaving himself better I am attaching the two-ended leash just to front of his harness which gives us a six foot lead. If he wants to dander off to the side and snuffle, there's enough slack that he doesn't pull.

Because Henry is never off the lead at the moment, our training has been a good 30-40 minutes every day, in different locations, so that might have speeded up our progress.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »
Yes, I think that's your secret, - I really do need to spend more time with him on the lead. I walk with OH in the mornings for just over an hour but any serious training I do with him on my own in the afternoons, but we're usually only out for 20 to 30 minutes, - and thinking about it now, that's when he's usually better. Maybe  I should re-think our routine altogether and increase the time when we're training proper rather than just ambling along (and leave OH at home! ;))

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
Leaving OH at home is the secret to success!  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »
Hi, - just wanted to update that I think we're starting to see a chink of light on the distant horizon!!
Humphrey's very unenthusiastic about any of his harnesses, so I've been back to using the collar, just for short walks on the lead. Aldi had dog leads on offer a couple of weeks ago and I bought an elasticated one, just to have as a spare for the car. Its a bit strange to use as its harder to wind him in and you haven't got as much control but, he doesn't seem to notice it so much as its really light.  I keep my arm straight at my side and try as much as possible to keep it loose. ( He always walks better to heel without the lead anyway) We're definately making progress and he's starting to correct his own position now when I stop and he comes back to me rather than me stopping, him stopping and then I walk to him.  This is all still only happening in a distraction free environment and we've still got a loooonnnnng way to go but I do think we're heading in the right direction at last.!!............. :banana: (just hope I haven't opened my big mouth too soon! :005:)

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
After getting fed up that I feel like the middle man between the Russian and Polish tug-of-war teams (Murphy wants to stop and sniff everything while Millie just wants to plough on ahead) I have bought Millie a Halti head collar. Now believe me, this is a last resort as I am not a fan of this type of harness but it does seem to work.
When Millie is not trying to get it off her face she walked beautifully today. Every time the lead started to tension she would drop back without any correction on my behalf. Hopefully I can start to enjoy our lead walks a bit more now.

Edit : if anybody would like a Walk Your Dog with Love harness (18lb - 35lb) just send me a PM and I will send it out. It worked well for Millie at first but she has since learned how to pull in it.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Henry's Loose-leash training - UPDATE WITH VIDEO
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
Since it is 6 months since I started this thread, I thought I'd post a short video of Henry walking with me today. It's a bit rubbish as I am trying to walk and film at the same time, and Mr H is looking at me more than normal because of the phone in my hand. However, I think it gives a general idea of how easy our walking is now. On the street I keep him in more of a heel position. But in the park, I let him take it at his own pace and stop for important investigations.

https://youtu.be/urg7rqdyT0E

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: well done Mr. Henry and even more - Well done Rachael!! That's a real success story and so great that all your hard work has paid off. It just goes to prove that it IS possible with enough determination and staying power!
Herr Humphrey needs to get his finger paw out!!!!  :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
I expect everyone to be posting similar videos in six months time!

This (equally crappy) video shows Henry correcting himself a couple of times when he gets to the end of the lead.
https://youtu.be/pZfQjCk3gEU

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
I expect everyone to be posting similar videos in six months time!

This (equally crappy) video shows Henry correcting himself a couple of times when he gets to the end of the lead.
https://youtu.be/pZfQjCk3gEU

Don't hold breath!!  :005: (but we'll try!! ;))

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
Aww, Henry's just a model dog.  If I were not so embarrassed I'd post a video of Blue doing his finest Roobarb impersonation.