Author Topic: To puppy or not to puppy...  (Read 1973 times)

Offline PollySpaull

To puppy or not to puppy...
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »
Hi all,

Some of you might remember I was on the search for a cocker pup to come and join our family!

Well I found a lovely litter and have booked a viewing this weekend! They will be 4 weeks old!

But... my partner who was initially very enthusiastic about a new pup is now having reservations.
He's worried Monty won't like him, and worried that Monty will lose the bond he has with us and instead be focused on the other dog.
He's also concerned about little things like bathing them if they're both filthy and feeding times etc! He also said that if I were to have a baby the house would be hectic!

I was of the opinion that once out of the puppy stage having two isn't going to be hugely different than having one. I'm already feeding each morning, walking every day etc etc.

Not really sure what the point of my post is really but I suppose after some opinions or experiences! I also don't want to have to let the breeder down, although Im sure she has lots of potential families lined up.

Thanks all x

Offline PollySpaull

Re: To puppy or not to puppy...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:15:09 AM »
Forgot to add that we're also off to Canada in April. The pup will be around 7 months old, but our usual lovely dog sitter is sadly moving away. I think that's another concern that we have to find someone new...

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:01:41 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about letting the breeder down - I'm sure she'd be far happier that you speak up now than have problems later.  A good breeder will understand.
The decision can only be made by you and your partner but maybe if he's not 100% behind it, perhaps it would be better to postpone it before it causes any tension.
(We have a labrador staying here this week and although they get on and are both enjoying themselves, it does also have its down sides - (its pouring with rain today and they're both filthy after our walk  >:D).) I think a pair of spaniels is a joy and there are lots on here who will say so but I have to admit to worrying about upsetting the boat if we had another one, Humphrey's so laid back and I too worry that another one might not be the same. Maybe if you wait until you're back from Canada, then you can really relax and enjoy the trip and having a new puppy in the spring or summer next year would also have the advantage of making house training etc easier........
Wish I lived nearer, I'd look after the lovely Monty for you like a shot!  ;)

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
Hi. It's good that you are thinking about it. These are some of my thoughts.
It depends on how well they get on together. My two only tolerate one another so we have to be very watchful. I would suggest that you think about getting a little girl as opposite sexes are more likely to get on generally.
They should each have their own time with you, be trained separately and walked separately as well as together.  This would prevent Monty becoming too attached to his new friend.
Feeding isn't a problem.  Just give them their own space. And the cost of course!
Yes, when you come back from a muddy walk having to bath two can be a drag and time consuming. Grooming both is time consuming too.  If they are both clipped or go to groomers to be groomed then it won't be so bad.
I hope I haven't put you off!
 They do say adding a third dog is easier than a second!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
I don't think the bond you have built up with Monty will change, as to whether they will get on its hard to know until the puppy arrives, but you will know what Monty's temperament is like, does he like other dogs, has he met puppies when you have been out, that sort of thing will give you a rough idea.  I knew Ben would hate us getting another dog as he is was never dog friendly at the best of times, I also knew there was the potential he would actually harm a puppy so we went with an older dog, so you should have an idea already about that.

Having two is brilliant, I love it - yes it was hard work initially and we still have to watch them as they would fight over food, but I think its lovely having two dogs around and feels very different to just one.
We didn't find it much harder work with things like walks etc as if you are going its the same to take two dogs as it is to take one, yes you get double the mud, but again if you have to clean up after bathing one dog it doesn't make any difference if you have bathed two.   The only way we have felt it is financially - this year has been tough as both boys have had serious and ongoing health problems so vets bills have been astronomical, but I guess that's just pot luck and if you have a dog you already know there might be costs at some stage.

Good luck with your puppy search and hope your partner comes round  ;)

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »
Thankyou all for the wonderful advice and personal experiences. There's some great advice and points to think about in there. I think having two would be lovely, and Monty would provide a good role model for the puppy. My partner is still unsure so we're going to have a proper sit down and chat about it tonight.
I hope he does come round!

Oh and brilliant news... my dog sitter just confirmed she actually isn't moving now! Hooraaayyyy!!!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
If I remember right you got Monty as a pup so you know what having a pup involves.

Until I saw that you will have your dog sitter after all, I was going to suggest a postponement until you get back from Canada.

Yes, you will double up on the bills, but you know what the budget will stand.

As a very general rule of thumb cockers are something of a pack animal and like to have a friend/partner in crime. I would be minded to look at a little bitch to avoid testosterone fueled rivalry, but again, you know your own dog and you need to pick one who should be 'a good fit' in your little pack.

If someone is going to be walking them on their own you need to think about pulling as two fit cockers can have you face down in the mud very quickly. Also think about how you can walk and keep both supervised and safe.

Which ever way you go I am sure you will put the dogs first.

Rodney

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:09:09 PM »
I posted a similar thread on here about 18 months ago, just before Coral arrived.

Coral was a lovely easy puppy but it wasn't just double the work.  For the best part of 18 months I've had to train them separately, walk them at different times as they a) both deserve attention and b) have different needs in terms of training progress plus work out a new routine.

I heard a great saying "leave a year for every paw before introducing the next generation".  Pearl was 4 years old when Coral came home but in some respects was still quite immature and suddenly developed guarding tendencies over food, beds, me.......it was only ever my handbag and a tin of cola before  ;)

However well you think you know Monty it will exacerbate any insecurities he may have, of course if he is a well rounded dog then you have no issues to be concerned about   :D. You should consider, though, how you will deal with two dogs (one of each sex is always better) if they really do not or cannot get on?  My two tolerate each other.  Coral is still crated at 21 months old and that's in part because Pearl gets stressed if they have free reign together!

It can be very rewarding.  They do keep each other occupied/entertained and I'm sure it's better there are two in the house when I'm at work (I also have a dog walker for the afternoons).  It is also incredibly hard work at times - you would hope he older dog will lead the way? In somethings yes and Pearl still asks for Coral to be let out (Coral is silent otherwise....then just goes anyway) in other things no, Coral has taught Pearl to chase - which she never did before  :o

Good luck in your decision.  Between us we now have 4 cockers - that, of course, is the next step  :lol:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:19:16 PM »
We've two cockers. Milly's a female show strain, six years old and came to us from a rescue charity at 7 months old. Chaz is a four year old male worker and we got him as a puppy from a  breeder/gamekeeper on a local estate.

When Chaz first came home I sat on the floor in the kitchen with him on my lap for Milly to come up and introduce herself. Milly's always been very gentle and ladylike so it came as a bit of a surprise when, a few minutes later, they were both tearing around the house tails going like mad taking it in turns to chase each other  :lol:
While we'd had to be careful with Milly due to her rather unfortunate history prior to coming to us, Chaz's arrival seemed to make her world complete. She became more confident and, although there were the odd growls from her during Chaz's learning process, there's no real nastiness between them and Chaz still defers to her most of the time  ;)
They're walked together with Dot taking Milly's lead while I have Chaz and when they're released Milly's quite happy to stay fairly close by investigating any interesting scents while Chaz is off dashing around at a rate of knots before eventually settling down to quartering the particular bit of ground that he's occupying at the time.
At home, Milly settles down close to Dot and snoozes while Chaz seems at times to be attached to me with a piece of string whenever I'm on the move and settles around my feet or alongside my chair whenever I'm sat down.
In many ways they're like chalk and cheese but they do seem to rub along together pretty well together most of the time.

Overall our experience with the two of them is very positive but I have to admit that Chaz's puppyhood was somewhat "Challenging" but almost certainly not as bad as it would have been without Milly's influence.
Yes, costs of insurance, vet's bills and food are doubled but so are the rewards of having a cocker each  :luv:

Bob.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 06:56:15 PM »
A very serious word of warning though.....

Once you make the jump to two dogs, it is extremely tempting and incredibly easy, to go to three.

Then all of a sudden, you have four.

And before you know it, five   :005: :005: :005: :005:

At one stage, we had dogs aged 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 - although books say you should wait longer before adding a new puppy to your family, we decided that as our dogs hadn't read the books, it probably didn't matter.

We didn't regret it at all - and even now miss having 20 paws around the place  ;) 

One day......maybe we will have 20 paws again.

So, I guess my advice is go for it! LOL
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »
Haha brilliant!! Thanks all (Penelope that had me laughing!) so the verdict is....
We're off to visit the pups on Sunday!!!! We've both agreed so I'm a happy bunny!
We had a lovely walk today with Monty and his friend buddy (an entire cockapoo) and he enjoyed himself immensely! Here's the pic to prove it!

Thanks all for your wise words and opinions. Always hugely appreciated and I'll keep you all posted! X

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:15:03 PM »
Great picture.  :luv:
Good luck with your new addition. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 11:17:45 PM »
Don't they look happy together, lovely picture.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Glad your partner has come round. So much easier when you are both singing from the same sheet  ;)

I have two cockers and a cockapoo and they all get on reasonably well together. I did make sure that when Toby (poo) was a very young puppy he got to get his sleep..or he could be a right pain to the others, and that he respected their space....and I think that has helped the jump from 2 to 3. I found if you don't leave too long between dogs and new pups, you won't have forgotten  the hard work it can be and will be more prepared for the challenges ahead.

My 3  spend most of their time together, except when training, feeding and sleeping, and as Toby is still  a pup I have to take/ keep him out in the garden longer for a pee/poop, or with the excitement and nosiness of a pup will forget what he's out there for and immediately need to go out again.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »
Agree with getting their sleep! I'll do the same set up Monty had when he was a pup. A crate and playpen in the dining room with frequent nap times/time outs during the day! Monty will continue sleeping upstairs with us so that he gets his normal good sleep. I'll carry the pup on a short morning walk with Monty, then take Monty out alone in the afternoons for a good run.
I'm confident that they will get along, even though they will be the same sex. Monty is ridiculously chilled out and a very friendly dog. So I have lots of hope for the new addition...

The cat on the other hand... well... I have a feeling she won't be best pleased! (Even though secretly she loves a snuffle from Monty!)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 02:04:55 PM »
I got one of those puppy buggies when Branston and then Toby got too heavy to carry but not old enough to walk too far - not for everybody - but it made sure they all got their exercise. (quite a hike to the park) then when he was old enough had them on extending lead for a run round the park, then a ride home in buggy where they would happily snooze.

I didn't have a car at the time and found this the easiest way to manage their walks.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.