Author Topic: unexpected bonus  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
unexpected bonus
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:59:12 AM »
Its been a tough couple of weeks, Ben has been very unwell needed an op and reacted very badly to the anaesthetic, there were a couple of occasions where I thought we would lose him  :'(
its hard generally watching them get older but what has amazed me most is OH.  He is generally very emotionally buttoned up, think Doc Martin!  However since Ben came home from the vet I have seen another side to him that has been very well hidden for 20+ years.  He has been so tender with Ben, when he doesn't think I am listening I can hear him talking to Ben very softly, he carried him round the house, in and out of the garden when he was too weak to stand and spent three whole days sitting on the settee with Ben cuddled up on his lap.  Every time he put Ben down he started to howl and shake he was so disorientated, so he just held him constantly. 

Sadly Ben is deaf so doesn't hear the sweet nothings that OH is whispering to him, but I don't think that matters as just being with him seems to help Ben relax.  For me whilst it has been horrible seeing Ben so unwell, it has just been amazing to watch OH and Ben together and a complete revelation to see OH just so gentle and tender with him  :luv:

Fortunately Ben is now out of the woods and our lovely vet says he is ok for a while longer   

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: unexpected bonus
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
I'm glad Ben is in better shape now, but sad that he had such a bad time of it after his surgery, poor boy. Well done to your OH. I'm sure his kindness must have helped you as well as Ben during such a difficult time. Supporting Ben must have been a bit easier with both of you sharing his care.

My OH wasn't best pleased when I got Louis, but as he was working abroad long term he didn't have too much say in the matter and just agreed, rather grumpily, about getting a second dog. He didn't engage much with Louis and thought he was hard work and didn't fit in (there was an element of truth in that). But as time has gone on he's mellowed towards him and since retiring a few months ago he's finally fallen for Louis and takes time to play with him and to reassure Louis when something frightens him.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »
It took a while for Jago to win my OH over.  It wasn't Jago, it was the fact we had a second dog which was an unpopular decision  ;)

Jago adores my OH and has won him over - well he's funny and sweet and lovely (Jago, not my OH!!!) so it was inevitable.

Glad Ben is on the up - it's no fun having old dogs is it.  Such a worry but so precious <3
helen & jarvis x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
GLad to hear Ben's recovering well - a bit of extra TLC is works wonders! (I also have an OH who's transformed!! :005: - quite amazing what these little characters can achieve!) :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »
So glad to read Ben is improving, and OH is so involved, years ago my OH didn't bond with my westie, who felt he was my four legged protector, and me finding Mr Right as we were going out at the time, was a raw nerve for my westie, plus he also took a liking to the back of his trouser leg on occasion :o

Several years on and there was a kind of acceptance.  OH was brought up on a warm and animals were very much for work.

When my westie  went to the bridge OH was the one who showed his strength and was there with him, after I can remember in my grief that OH was wiping away the tears too.

I too have a transformed hubby who adores his dog - must admit he was the one who saw a cocker and said he would like one and here we are :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »
Aaaw you've made my eyes leak  ;) So pleased Ben is getter better.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »
Leaking eyes here too.

So pleased Ben is feeling better.  Lovely that your OH was so brilliant with him too  ;)

The only downside of having older dogs is the added worry every time something is wrong with them.

Fingers crossed Ben continues to improve and OH continues to show the previously unseen side of him! LOL
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
So glad Ben is getting better. It's lovely that his dad can show that side for Ben too. My OH is a Doc Martin type as well. Didn't see a tear from him when his (adored) mum died followed by his grandma and grandad. But he's always been emotional with our dogs and when our first dog Lizzy died we sobbed together. He sits and talks sweetly to Bonnie as well. It's quite nice that men who find emotions very difficult have this relationship with their dogs; they can express themselves at long last without it feeling wrong to them. Dogs are great therapy animals aren't they xxx