Author Topic: Worms  (Read 865 times)

Offline eclare

Worms
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
Our 2 year cocker spaniel has roundworm for the second time at the same time of year despite a strict worming regime using milpro and bravecto as recommended by our vet. He is not a scavenger and doesn't eat dead animals. They are concerned he may have immunity to the wormer, has anyone else had a similar problem??

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Worms
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
The de-worming  treatment doesn't prevent the worms, so theoretically you can treat one day and the next day they can pick up new ones.  I prefer to have stool check on a regular basis and only give treatment if necessary but a teaspoon of coconut oil, or dessicated coconut mixed in with the food is a good natural worm deterrant.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Just read an article that says pumpkin seeds are natural wormers and can be used as a treat too!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
Just read an article that says pumpkin seeds are natural wormers and can be used as a treat too!

off to google  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
Check if they have fleas as they can get worms via the fleas, I know it sounds incredible but the fleas carry them because of the wild animals they bite and drink from.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
Check if they have fleas as they can get worms via the fleas, I know it sounds incredible but the fleas carry them because of the wild animals they bite and drink from.

Fleas can be part of the life cycle of tapeworm, but not roundworm as far as I know, which is what eclare's dog has.

As already said, worm treatments treat any worms that the dog has at that time, but the dog can be infected again the next day, week, month or never.

I sometimes send samples off and have a wormcount done. If no worms are present I don't treat, but if they are I use Milbemax.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »
Thanks Elaine for the correction and we also use milbemax as Dexter can tolerate it as he cannot others.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »
Thanks Elaine for the correction and we also use milbemax as Dexter can tolerate it as he cannot others.

I think Milbemax is well tolerated by most dogs. I've never yet had one that could tolerate Drontal!

Offline eclare

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 07:44:43 AM »
Thanks all we finally got all clear on samples so hope it lasts this time!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
Its also worth finding out if you're in a lungworm area too - mine are all now treated monthly with milbemax as Lady was recently diagnosed with lungworm and as the vet said today that unless you test for it you don't know if your dog has lungworm and your dog can easily die from infection of it (some vets use advocate for lungworm each month)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline eclare

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:02:32 PM »
I have now found brown scabs on 3 nipples, is this related to the roundworm?

Offline lescef

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
I shouldn't think so. Both mine have those scaby bits. I've always thought it was dirt so just leave it. It doesn't pick off easily,  it would probably need vaseline.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble