Author Topic: Awful stinky smell  (Read 579 times)

Offline assumpta

Awful stinky smell
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
Can anyone advise on what a lipfold infection smells like or looks like. My boy gets his glands emptied every 6 weeks so thats ruled out but theres an awful smell coming from his mouth. It doesnt look infected or sore but  theres a horrible and stagnant smell  :-\ Should I be cleaning his mouth regularly?

Offline Ambler54

Re: Awful stinky smell
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »
Cant say what it smells like just that it will knock your head off from 5 paces.Rosie had it 2 weeks ago, kept thinking She smelt, gave Her a bath etc but it just got worse.....so off to the vets, but I had already had a look and the skin on the fold looked a little dry but not sore and I had started wiping with very dilute Hipiscrub,( as seen suggested on here)  then drying it but She still had antibiotics.I think the Hipiscrub had started to work as it cleared up quite quickly, She now smells'normal' and the vet suggested using a dilute Hipiscrub wipe a couple of times a week.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
Hi, lipfold infections absolutely stink (like something rotten). There are different bacteria that cause them and so treatments vary accordingly. The main thing is to get the lipfold areas clean and dry and try to keep them like that. If you are lucky then cleaning with Hibiscrub might be sufficient but if the infection is Pyodermas (superbug) or similar then antibiotic treatment will be needed. If the infection keeps re occuring then surgery is usually advised, not as bad as it sounds and very effective (but the infection has to be cleared first).
Hibiscrub is generally the first thing to try but otherwise its off to the vets for antibiotics.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:51:42 PM »
VEt visit!
 As well as lip fold infection,  you need to query  gum or tooth infection, or also bear in mind that kidney problems cause bad breath.   Sadly my Vet misdiagnosed this  at first.  Bob went in for  bad breath  and tooth extractions, but turned out it wasnt teeth,,and the blood test he had taken beforehand  showed up his kidney problem.
I hope it's just lip folds.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:43:57 AM »
Just reinforcing the excellent advice already given. While it's "probably" lip fold infection it's the sort of thing a vet needs to look at just in case it's one of the other nasties that can lead to bad breath.

Our Milly had this a few years ago and an antibiotic injection to give it a swift kick in the bum, followed by regular cleaning of the jowls with dilute (10% solution) Hibiscrub, has kept her mouth free of nasty smells ever since.

Hibiscrub is so useful for cleaning any of the small wounds, cuts and abrasions that cockers seem to collect that it would be a good idea to keep a bottle of the stuff in stock. While it can be pricey in small quantities from vets or chemists you could possibly look at getting a 500ml bottle from the likes of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibiscrub-Health-Care-500-ml/dp/B001AV4C20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477442277&sr=8-1&keywords=hibiscrub+health+care+500+ml

It works on humans as well  ;)

Bob.

Offline murphymoo

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:37:08 AM »
It smells like rotting potatoes

:005: :005:

Offline assumpta

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice. I've booked the vet for Friday and ordered hibiscrub. Yes, rotten potatoes is a pretty good description  :o Before I had a little cocker I was blissfully unaware of anal glands, yeasty ears and lipfolds to name but a few ailments he's had.