Author Topic: pooing after pancreatitis - don't read if eating!  (Read 949 times)

Offline luckypenny

pooing after pancreatitis - don't read if eating!
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:32:11 AM »
Hi there,

Just coming to end of a hellish week - Penny admitted to vets with pancreatitis after eating multiple fat balls (feeder from John Lewis BROKE - will be speaking to them shortly). Luckily vet seems to think it was a mild dose, and in a way the seeds caused as much bother as the fat.

She got home Tuesday night and on Weds am did a runny small orangy brown poo with a couple on small "normal" lumps, a couple of streaks of blood, and what looked like the last few seeds (called vet and she said it sounded fine - perhaps a little local trauma form seeds scratching). However, since then she has not pooed at all. She was on very small portions of chicken and rice, and yesterday changed to a couple of small portions of low fat kibble. Drinking and peeing fine, getting perkier in herself, although not going as far on walks.

My question is - because she is having so few solids, will it take a few days for her to form a normal poo. I will call the vet anyway, but my concern is going into the weekend and her still not having done anything. Is there a gentle laxative that would be safe for her and not irritate her pancreas, or should I just let nature take its course?

Thanks

My t is eaa.

Offline luckypenny

Re: pooing after pancreatitis - don't read if eating!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
Still nothing - any advice most welcome

Offline tenaille

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »
Hi, sorry things aren't going well at the moment.
Martha was in the vets a couple of months ago after an awful ongoing case of the runs (all mucous and horrendously smelly). Vet advised a change to low fat diet for 3 months and prescribed various potions for restarting the gut bacteria and protecting mucous lining. She was on chicken and rice diet for several days and she also did not 'go' for quite a while until one day they just started again, much to our relief (and thankfully smelled a whole lot better).

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
I find it can take Henry several days to poop again after an upset tum, especially if I have him on small portions of chicken and rice.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
Thanks to you both for the replies - I have just come back from a short walk with her, and hurrah!!! - a poo!!!

I might be wrong, but what may have helped was a small bowl of her low fat kibble softened with some hot water - I thought perhaps something warm would move things on.

Hopefully she is now on the mend.

It was quite funny after the poo as I had to call work (naturally everyone is VERY concerned, and they'd asked me to update them on "movements").It's actually been quite touching how many people have been asking about her - the ones without dogs are in some ways easier, because when I talk the ones who have dogs there is a sort of look in their eyes and they realise the worry, and that's what almost sets me off.

I think we may have been very lucky x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
Yay!!!!!  Thank goodness for that, a result!  Nice that people are interested enough to care.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 08:54:07 AM »
Like you, I've been poo watching after pancreatitis! :005: its worrying, isn't it, when what goes in doesn't come out as you'd like. Our vet prescibed metrobactin and Zitac and also agreed that a daily dose of Prokolin was a good idea. Millie doesnt agree!
Its taken ten days to start feeling relaxed again, but just now she brought up all her breakfast...
Back to the watching again!

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
Oh dear - it is a worry, and you watch them like a hawk. Hope Millie is ok and it's maybe just "normal" sick, rather than pancreatitis again. 

Offline AlanT

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »
I find that if I put down too much cold water, especially when we come in after a walk, then this gets siphoned up very quickly.

It comes back up, along with breakfast, pretty quickly too.

So I only put a little water down at a time.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »
I find that if I put down too much cold water, especially when we come in after a walk, then this gets siphoned up very quickly.

It comes back up, along with breakfast, pretty quickly too.

So I only put a little water down at a time.

We have this problem too. A pool of water, plus breakfast, deposited on the floor.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mrs JT

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
From time to time we have an upset tummy and find Tree Bark Powder very helpful.  It's manufactured by Dorwest Herbs and can be bought from them directly and from many other online suppliers. Wonder if it may be worth checking out? 

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 06:23:18 AM »
Interesting - thanks. I'll look into that.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
It's also called Slippery elm powder. You can get it at Holland and Barratt.  I too recommend it. It's harmless, you use it for just a few days.   Medically it's called a mucilage. It makes the gut produce a gooey coating that protects it ,  allowing healing and soothing it so it doesn't  spasm, as it does with diarrhoea. Constipation is relieved too , because of the slimy coating.   My elderly parent with gut problems had the human prescription version . 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
I'm a big fan of Dorwest products , I would be reluctant to use it at the moment as it could give a false result ( if that makes sense ).

After any gut problem the vets often want to know how long it took to get working again or return back to normal, I know the slippery elm will do the trick but I would be worried of it masking the fact that all is not well.

Might be worth checking in with the vet before using it.

Sharon.