Author Topic: Barking mad  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Barking mad
« on: April 06, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
One of the few behavioural issues we have with Henry (apart from his non-existent recall) is his barking in the garden. He barks at birds, be they in the garden, in the trees, flying overhead. He barks at squirrels. He barks when he hears another dog bark. He barks at neighbours passing windows in their houses. And once he starts barking he just... keeps going. And when he's in barking mania, he starts pelting around like a looney (think puppy zoomies times 10) and dodges away from anyone who comes near. It's like he goes over threshold on every level. I always leave a lead on him in the garden and it's a question of stepping on it as he streaks past, or patiently bringing him back down with strategically scatter treats - if I can get his attention long enough to notice the treats. As soon as I get hold of the lead he goes straight back to normal and trots beside me like nothing has happened and he hasn't just been the hound from hell.

It's absolutely infuriating and very difficult for me as I suffer from noise sensitivity. Over the winter he only went out in the garden for toilet breaks and wasn't allowed to do his own thing, in the hope that the habit would be broken. But it's as bad as ever. And it is compounded by attention barking. He wants me to play with him all the time in the garden. I've always been clear on the boundaries: I control the toys in the garden and we play when I say. But sill - the barking persists.

I am trying various techniques to break this habit, but I'm open to suggestions!

I am trying 'click the trigger' - as soon as he sees something he wants to bark at, I click. If I'm quick enough, he breaks focus and comes to me for a treat. I've just started that this week. The problem is he will then sit and bark at me instead. That barking I am ignoring as it is trying to get my attention. But now I'm sending a massive mixed message about the consequences of barking.

As much as possible I'm trying to prevent him having the opportunity to get into a barking jag, but this means not letting him loose in the garden, which is frustrating at this time of year - for him and me. And other members of the family keep letting him out by himself, saying oh, he'll be okay.  >:D

Any suggestions? Just bringing him in doesn't work because a) it takes forever to catch him and b) by the time I do he has stopped barking so he doesn't see being brought back into the house as  a negative consequence of barking.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Barking mad
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
You have my sympathy. Murphy is an attention barker in the garden, he just wants me to chase him all the time. He will also bark if he hears another dog. It is nowhere on the same scale as you are describing but as I am noise sensitive I do find it annoying.
If he starts, the only thing that I have found works is a very firm 'GET IN' and in he comes. I wouldn't use the same approach for Millie because she is a very sensitive little soul, but Murphy does listen when the voice of doom is used.
I'm not really much help I'm afraid but I am sure somebody will be here with some good advice.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
I have exactly the same problem with Bramble except she doesn't try to avoid me. At night she goes out on a lead as I don't want her barking waking the child next door up.
As we're not supposed to let them practice the behaviour I take her in and put her in her crate. It makes sitting outside in the summer very wearing! >:D
She is also a nuisance when I'm grooming Maddie - barking, demanding attention and generally upsetting Maddie. When we were having trouble with the two of them years ago our trainer told us to try and let them be around when grooming so I don't usually crate her. However,  I have started removing her from the room when she starts creating, sometimes just into her crate without closing the door or into her bed, then walking away, allowing her to come back of her own accord. If she starts again she's removed again.  I have to say she is a little better sometimes just coming and laying down next to me. I will try it in the summer but it's such a drag!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »
I am teaching 'boundaries' in the house - Henry has a mat or bed in most rooms where he goes and stays when sent (in theory, we are still working on him staying there with super interesting distractions). I started it in the kitchen when I was cooking and we've got to the point where he is starting to go to his mat voluntarily when he sees I'm busy and not going to pay him any attention.

I am thinking of doing the same in the garden. I've ordered a raised mesh bed that I can put out on the grass and will do the same training. I think it will be much more challenging, but it may be the solution to the attention barking.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
 >:D Henry Henry!!!!.......
Sorry, - can't really suggest anything more than Murphey's Law and Lescef have already. Humphrey had a phase of attention seeking in the evenings, but we just ignored him completely and if it got too much, I used to just take him into another room and the shut the door without comment. Its obviously a lot harder in the garden but I think if it was me, I'd try as much as possible to follow the same principle - i.e. don't look at him or speak to him but take him inside and ignore him until he's calmed down. I might be completely wrong but I wonder if any attempt to distract with treats etc might be seen as reward? Even telling him to be quiet is giving him some sort of attention - he needs to experience that barking brings absolutely nothing positive.....🤔
Best of luck - hope someone else has more concrete advice! Would be interested to hear how it goes!

Just read your next post which came as I was typing - that sounds like a good idea too!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
I've said this before on here but I'll say it again, because it works for me.

I trained "speak" and "calm" as a pair.  Every day out walking we have barking practice. Pick your spot!
But we also have shutting=up practice.  We turn on barking, we turn it off.

We use hand-gestures with this.  I get barking by flapping my hand upwards.  And a whole calm down by lowering the hand and arm slowly. Natural movements to make.

Mind you I started when a puppy.

Won't work when there is a genuine target like a flock of birds but will signal "enough" when they have gone.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »
I've said this before on here but I'll say it again, because it works for me.

I trained "speak" and "calm" as a pair.  Every day out walking we have barking practice. Pick your spot!
But we also have shutting=up practice.  We turn on barking, we turn it off.

We use hand-gestures with this.  I get barking by flapping my hand upwards.  And a whole calm down by lowering the hand and arm slowly. Natural movements to make.

Mind you I started when a puppy.

Won't work when there is a genuine target like a flock of birds but will signal "enough" when they have gone.

I know you've said it before. I've trained this too. The problem is it doesn't work when he is in such an agitated state.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
>:D Henry Henry!!!!.......
Sorry, - can't really suggest anything more than Murphey's Law and Lescef have already. Humphrey had a phase of attention seeking in the evenings, but we just ignored him completely and if it got too much, I used to just take him into another room and the shut the door without comment. Its obviously a lot harder in the garden but I think if it was me, I'd try as much as possible to follow the same principle - i.e. don't look at him or speak to him but take him inside and ignore him until he's calmed down. I might be completely wrong but I wonder if any attempt to distract with treats etc might be seen as reward? Even telling him to be quiet is giving him some sort of attention - he needs to experience that barking brings absolutely nothing positive.....🤔
Best of luck - hope someone else has more concrete advice! Would be interested to hear how it goes!

Just read your next post which came as I was typing - that sounds like a good idea too!

To be clear (because it's a bit confusing), I'm talking about two different types of problem barking here:

1. Barking at triggers that escalates into a barking frenzy where he is entirely unbindable. That's the one I am trying to reduce with the 'click the trigger' protocol to stop the barking happening in the first place and distractions like sending him to a 'boundary' where he knows he is supposed to be calm.

2. Attention barking. I am paying no attention to that at all.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
Just had another thought - don't know if its even workable but might be food for thought...
Could you try and "set up" situations that would normally start him off and then condition him? (I used to deliberately take Humphrey up to cows etc., make him sit and feed treats).
I don't quite know how you'd do it with neighbours in the windows etc , but you get my gyst - perhaps confrontation is better than distraction ???

Again - your reply crossed mine, but will post anyway...

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
Yes, that's what I'm doing with the 'click the trigger' training. We go into the garden with Henry on the lead and the minute he spots something I think he's going to bark at, I click so he turns to me instead.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 07:22:10 PM »
I'm sure you'll sort it - considering you're a first time dog owner you've got an incredible aptidude for understanding what makes them tick  ;)
Best of luck!!

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
Our Betty was the same as your Henry and we never found a way to cure it. 

We think it was mainly down to exuberance,  but for sure it ruined many a walk in the quiet countryside.  You have our sympathy.

We're keeping an eye in this thread in the hope of finding useful advice just in case the new boy starts to develop the same tendencies.
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline AlanT

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »
The milkman comes at 4-30 AM.  The intruder warning on the landing sounds.

Barking starts of course.  Any dog would.  But "calm" and a wave will produce a few grunts and back to bed.

This is a 3-year old full-male.  Mind you we selected a pup from a domestic-pair seen to have calm natures.

Offline ips

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
Eze goes mad barking if anyone comes to the door or comes into the yard (no I haven't found a way to stop it either) BUT she never ever barks in the field, on walks or when working. I think its a territorial thing.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »
The milkman comes at 4-30 AM.  The intruder warning on the landing sounds.

Barking starts of course.  Any dog would.  But "calm" and a wave will produce a few grunts and back to bed.

This is a 3-year old full-male.  Mind you we selected a pup from a domestic-pair seen to have calm natures.

In all those situations we can also stop the barking with a 'quiet' command. My problem is very specific to the garden. Reading these replies, it seems I'm not the only one with this problem!