Author Topic: Favourite toy?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Favourite toy?
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Definitely not an original topic, but my guess is the answer changes over time and I thought it would be a fun and lighthearted thread to start off the new year. What is your dog's favourite toy? Or, if your dog loves all their toys equally, what is your favourite?  :005:

Laurië got a gingerbread man plushie for Christmas two years ago that she adores. She usually chews holes and pulls the stuffing out of soft toys. But for some reason this one has survived. She will carry it around when she is happy, and we are often greeted at the door by her proudly trotting around us with the gingerbread man in her mouth. She hides it around the house, under pillows, in our beds, under tables, it is never in her toy box for long after I tidy. She would bring it outside and leave it in the sun this summer, always in the same spot. She only plays with it if we play with her, but she will carry it around from hiding place to hiding place or even use it as a pillow. She sometimes brings it to the table when we eat. I think she is offering a trade, her most priced possesion for our food. I'm not sure, but it's adorable!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Favourite toy?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
:luv:
Humphrey tends to leave his toys in the garden too. His favourite, is what remains of a green sausage dog generally referred to as Dirty Gertie. Gertie‘s been patched up so many times, she‘s now sort of transmuted  into a deaf (no ears! :lol2:) three legged cyclops with scurvy but she obviously still has what it takes and turns up like a bad penny just when you think you‘ve finally managed to surreptitiously dispose of her!! :lol2:. The Walross and furry Snowman  he got for Christmas are obviously really uncool, Dirty Gertie rules in this house!!  :005:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:32:05 PM »
Dirty Gertie  :lol2:  Good name! Laurië got an orange moose for Christmas this year. She immediately chewed an ear off and started pulling out the brains. I could patch it, but then I know she'll take the other ear and the antlers next  :005:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
Harry loves whichever is the newest toy.  He has a brilliant memory and although he will play with his older toys, he searches for the newest first and will find it wherever it is in the house.   He gets so excited when a new cuddly toy comes home we have to go through the whole ritual of him taking it from us and running away with it to look at it, then he sits with it for a while then eventually he will bring it over to play with  :luv: its so sweet.  But he is fickle a soon as a new toy appears a few weeks later the 'old' one is relegated to the bottom of the toy box!! 

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 08:54:02 AM »
Sadly, Jack (now 5) is no longer 'into' toys as such.  Tug toys, chew toys, balls, sticks, he's not interested.  He's turned into a boring b*gg*r like me (in fact we're getting more alike as we both get older!).  He seems to like his Kong Activity ball - dispenses treats when pushed around.  I tend to put large chunks of Rich Tea fingers in it that he has to really work for to get out usually by pushing it at 100mph round the house until it bangs into something and a piece falls out.  Keeps him occupied for 15 mins or so but don't use it often in an effort to try to keep it a bit special - and keep his weight under control...  Trouble is it gets manky rolling round on the floor...

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
I love how different they are. I can relate to Harry. Whenever I am given a gift I do the same thing, just spend time admiring the new "treasure" for a while  :003:

Activity balls are fun, I'd say that counts as a toy, even if the motivation is food more than fun  ;)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 06:44:57 PM »
I love how different they are. I can relate to Harry. Whenever I am given a gift I do the same thing, just spend time admiring the new "treasure" for a while  :003:

Do you know the sad thing when Harry came to us at 8mths he didn't play at all, in fact he was about 6 or 7 before he chilled out enough to look at toys. Now at 10 he is making up for lost time and plays every day 💕

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »

Do you know the sad thing when Harry came to us at 8mths he didn't play at all, in fact he was about 6 or 7 before he chilled out enough to look at toys. Now at 10 he is making up for lost time and plays every day 💕

Aww  :luv: He deserves all the toys!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Minstrel is not that bothered about toys, but does like the occassional chew on a Nylabone, but I have to be careful to put Branston in his crate with one too or Minstrel would lose his,

Branston likes a game of ball in the garden on his own with me kicking/throwing it, if Minstrel tries to join in we have bad tempered fisticuffs (mainly from bullyboy)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 11:35:27 PM »
Lady is totally obsessed with her ball anything else gets destroyed in minutes or ignored. Tramp isn't too bothered by toys but does love a bone.
Neither one of them argue over toys and will let our three year old granddaughter take toys away from them knowing they will get them back.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »
Tea towels and old socks! Dylan isn't interested in toys, all the ones I got for him are still in their pristine state after four years.  He occasionally runs after a ball, but drops it and doesn't ever bring it back. But he nicks the tea towels off the oven rail, and will play with old socks rolled into a ball. He reminds of little children who play with the cardboard box rather than the toy that was inside it. He's happiest when just being petted

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo