Author Topic: Hand stripping at home  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Barry H

Re: Hand stripping at home
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
Leo0106 - The gloves I have are Click 2000 nitrile disposable powder free, large, 100 in a box for around a tenner.  Don't get them too big - you want a tight fit for Cocker stripping.  Have looked on the bay of fleas and can't find them but these seem to be the nearest, TBH any similar will do. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Extra-Strong-Purple-Powder-Free-Nitrile-Disposable-Gloves-XL-Food-Medical/111946420589?epid=1089076837&hash=item1a1086d16d:g:yqEAAOxy86RSaUtc

They do get grubby (you'd be amazed how much muck sticks to the coat even with regular grooming), but I use one till it gets a hole and then bin it - a box will last years as I only use on one hand  :shades:

Scissors can be had from Diamond Edge or Simpsons or Groomers.  All are excellent quality.  Like with anything else, don't skimp and get the best you can afford.  Can't stress this enough.  You only buy them once and they pay for themselves in the long run with ease of use and time and money saved.  I think mine were around £60 each for both straight and thinners (46 teeth single edge).  Smaller, blunt tip (for around the feet) are a lot cheaper.

Can also recommend the Kong Zoom Groom for a first pass to get rid of any loose hairs before combing/stripping (most dogs love these):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KONG-ZG2-ZoomGroom-Boysenberry/dp/B0002AR19Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1525074097&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+zoom+groom+dog

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
Looking at your photo i would say Coat King would work well for you along with some thinners

You may find that thinners will be the way to go on his legs front & back if you can get a pair of singled sided fine tooth thinners along with a pair of double sided wider tooth thinners which will take out bulk but leave a more natural look

Its all down to how you really want him to look smoother on his back but maybe longer sides
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
Thanks all so much. I definately agree with it being cheaper in the long run if i invest in tools to do it at home and im more than happy to pay for quality tools rather than cheap ones
Barry thanks a lot for the links. Ill be looking at them asap.
Off on holiday today.. will be using the flight wifi to do some research  :005: