Author Topic: Ollie not drinking much  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Ollie not drinking much
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »
Ollie has started to avoid his drinking water, after surgery he was fine and back to normal with eating light meals and drinking, then noticed over the weekend his water bowl was not going down, I put fresh in each time he is fed so have a good idea on the water level. No matter how much encouragement he backs away.

We think his lampshade may have somehow got entangled with the bowl and scared him ( you might remember- he stopped eating out of his stone food bowl several months back !! and backing away etc) so got another dish and he drank a little half a dozen laps - yet he will drink a bit of watered down tea if encouraged to- but it is hard work.

He had his stitches out yesterday and told nurse she said he was not dehydrated and checked his gums and sorted of pinched his neck area.  She also mentioned that as he had been on wet food he would be getting moisture out of that.  Also as he had been advised for lead walks only he would not be as active as normal.  She said to keep an eye on him.....he drank nothing through night and this am he wouldn't again - yet got him to have the end of my cereal milk with a wee extra water added and placed in his dish and all went down.  I am getting crafty by adding a bit of water with his food - just a little :shades:

In his self he is fine appetite great - playing - sleeping - loving his walks again(just not charging in to waterbowl)

Any ideas.....he had 3 in 1 surgery, the hernia repair/pelvic repair, castrated and teeth removed, he is off all meds now as wondered if it was Loxicom (like Metcam), any thoughts - ideas.  He is a confident dog in many ways - but if something scares him he does not forget and makes the most out of it.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Ollie not drinking much
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
Branston who is fed wet food, does not drink much from his bowl either and neither of them drink throughout the night. Minstrel who is on dry food does drink more water and usually fills himself up before going to bed.

Because the water in our area is very hard I boil the water and let it cool in a jug before filling up the bowls.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
Could you try putting a bit of meat stock into the water bowl? I did that when Humphrey was poorly and wouldn‘t touch anything and it worked. I just boiled up a bit of chicken in lots of water and it did the trick.
 Lots of  :bigarmhug: to poor Ollie!  X Jayne n Humph‘  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 12:41:01 PM »
Second what Bizzylizzy has said.  Another thing I used to do for my lot when poorly, was poach a bit of plain white fish in lots of water, and freeze some as ice cubes to flavour the water bowl.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
Have you tried changing not only the bowl but where it is ?

Bea had an issue with her feeding bowl when she was teething , I think she touched a loose tooth which hurt her and she's never forgotten it.

I spoke to a behaviourist and he suggested changing EVERYTHING and it worked.

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »
Whenever our two were off their water, the vet suggested pouring new water regularly in front of them. Apparently they convince themselves that the new stuff is always better than the (one hour) old stuff. If you have an outdoor tap, try pouring from there in front of Ollie, they like the sound of running water. Alfie would stick his head into running water to drink it fresh out of the tap.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »
At lunch I put a good two large spoonfuls fish stock from last night with a bit water added over his dinner and it all went down....have but a small water bowl we take away with us down and he turned his nose up.

I wondered if it was his teeth being removed  - but he wolfs his food.

I have chicken for later so will remove the bones and make stock with a carrot or two in....see how that goes . I have low salt stock cubes that I use but worry about the salt for him....might just put 1/4 cube in.

Hubby is away again after working from home for last 2 weeks and he gets Ollie to do most things....have asked him to pick up a new small dog bowl and make a big fuss of giving him it when he comes home Thursday.

I think his mouth is dry...but nurse didn't..........I have a small spray bottle and have sprayed water in his mouth, does not mind this as had a previous dental product used that way.

Offline its.sme

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
Personally I wouldn't use a stock cube, even low cubes have salt in them and it really wouldn't help.

Poaching fish or chicken in water should do the trick.

I think it's a great idea to ask your Hubby to try a new bowl with him, fingers crossed.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Ollie not drinking much-update
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »
Well his masters intervention seems to be working the new bowl arrived home with OH on Thursday and after a big fuss about what Dad had brought him he drank a little water, then he was also encouraged in the evening - by you get your treat after some water, as you can imagine 2 days on Ollie has learnt that one quick lick might result in a treat. :shades: crafty these cockers.

Still a big improvement, yesterday it went in the garden while we had a barb q and Ol drank from it frequently, am still giving added liquid/stock with his food, so fluid intake is much better.

Have a lovely Easter everyone

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 11:36:46 AM »
 :shades: Ollie, you‘ve got your Dad around your little paw!  :lol2:

Glad the „cunning plan“ has worked though. Happy Easter to you too!
x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
well done Ollie, always better when you have a posh 'glass' to drink from  ;)  Cheers young man. xx

Offline its.sme

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »
O Ollie :005: >:D :005:

I think you could be described as a little pickle :005: :005: :005:

I'm glad he is drinking more and long may he continue to do so :luv:

Sharon.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
O Ollie :005: >:D :005:

I think you could be described as a little pickle :005: :005: :005:

I'm glad he is drinking more and long may he continue to do so :luv:

Sharon.

So so right :luv: