Author Topic: Removal of matting between paw pads  (Read 2390 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Removal of matting between paw pads
« on: October 05, 2019, 07:45:54 AM »
We have a problem with a rather large matt of hair on Humph‘s paw. Its between the last two pads (carpal and digital I believe they’re called) and its got clogged with dirt and heaven knows whatelse. He‘s pretty protective of his feet  >:( and can get a bit grumpy so I don‘t want to get too confrontational and create a problem. I‘ve tried using scissors but its difficult, he starts complaining as soon as he sees them, (although a normal paw trim has never been a problem)
I was thinking some sort of short blade or spike might be good so that I could split the matt (he will allow the end of a metal comb but that‘s not sharp enough)
Have looked online but can‘t really see anything suitable. Does anyone know if there‘s any specific tool for the job or what else I could use?
Thanks!

Offline lescef

Re: Removal of matting between paw pads
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
We get these from time to time and it takes two of us to remove them using curved scissors. I don't know if there is such a tool but would he let you soak and gently massage between his pads in an attempt to loosen the lump.
The lumps are so close to their skin I can understand  their reluctance to let us cut them! Good luck :D
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble