Author Topic: Ear Problems  (Read 358 times)

Offline scallywag

• Harley 12/10/2012
Ear Problems
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
Hi all,

So currently Harley is on a course of ear drops to clear up a mild infection (mucky wax, bit itchy, bit inflamed) and she is not enjoying the drops at all. She started off not to bad with them but as the times went on she scratches and squirms to try and avoid them. I hate stressing her out.

I would like to use something to prevent this happening in the future and have heard about Thornit Powder through COL. As a first time dog owner I am a bit unsure of how I would use this product? Could anyone tell me the general procedure for administering it? Feel a bit silly asking.

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for general upkeep of healthy ears I would be really grateful :) I just want to do the best by her and make sure she's well looked after.

Kayleigh and Harley
Love from Kayleigh and Harley

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Ear Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »
Hi Kayleigh.....are you lifting Harley on to a safe, high surface to administer his ear drops?  :shades:  I've always found this much easier if they are off the ground & if you need help ask someone to distract him perhaps with a treat, whilst you get the ear drops in.  :shades:
I occasionally use Thornit Powder on my boy Alfie....i've found the best way is to put a little on an artist's paintbrush & brush around the outer ear canal.  :shades:
It helps to make sure the hair around the inner ear is kept short to allow the air to circulate a little easier & also to keep them dry.
Alfie is terribly prone to ear infections & although i've managed to keep them 'at bay' for over 14 mths, sadly he does have another atm.  :police:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Ear Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
William has eye ointment every day and we've got into a routine where I get a treat out, show it to him and say "eye drops". He then jumps on the sofa and lays down while I put the ointment in his eyes. He's not keen but is very patient because he gets his treat straight afterwards. I realise it will be more difficult with a wriggly puppy, but if you can get somebody to help you initially with the aid of a treat and introduce a cue word or words like ears or ear drops, and give her praise and a treat once you've finished she should eventually get more used to it.

I have Thornits at home, although I rarely use it because luckily William and Louis usually have very clean ears, but Wendy's suggestion of a little paintbrush is a good one. You only need to use a very small amount and don't poke it into the ear canal, just gently apply round it.