Author Topic: Lip Fold Dermatitis Again.  (Read 6137 times)

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Lip Fold Dermatitis Again.
« on: May 31, 2005, 01:23:16 PM »
Poor Indie has had lip fold dermatitis again over the last couple of weeks. I manage to clear it up on one side and it comes back with a vengance on the other side. I have also noticed that the very back of his lipfold and gum has turned a liver colour. He yawned earlier and I saw that a large area inside his mouth has gone a liver colour too. Is this caused by the dermatitis or am I worrying unecessarily?

Indie now has a green oozing sore on one side of his mouth that is really irritating him (however it doesn't smell at all). I am using the Hibiscrub, fuciderm and thornits and it's not making much of a difference. I still put the cider apple vinegar in his water too.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:07:53 PM »
Amanda - you could be overdoing it with the treatments. Too much can irritate and make things worse.

If you have an open sore leaking green ous then it's infected and prob needs antibiotics. A trip to the vets is in order I think.

You need to keep the area dry. Dab with hibiscrub, leave for a couple of minutes then pat dry. Keep patting dry throughout the day.

The liver spots are probably just Indie's natural colouring coming through. Both my boys have different coloured patches in their mouths - all perfectly normal.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 02:44:09 PM »
Thanks Pammy.  I don't think I am overdoing it, as I am using them sporadically. I don't use them one after the other I try to rotate them. Will take him to the vet tonight then.

I was concerned about the liver colour as I only noticed it come on when the dermatitis started again, but you've set my mind to rest. :)
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks Pammy.  I don't think I am overdoing it, as I am using them sporadically. I don't use them one after the other I try to rotate them. Will take him to the vet tonight then.

I was concerned about the liver colour as I only noticed it come on when the dermatitis started again, but you've set my mind to rest. :)
[snapback]129694[/snapback]

I wouldn't rotate them. Stick with one to keep it at bay. I would use the hibiscrub when it flares up and Thornit to keep it at bay once it's under control. ;)

good luck at the vets ;)
Pam n the boys

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 04:19:03 PM »
I had a visitor over from California, this weekend, who has an Am Cocker.
They are advised that Otodex eardrops, readily available from the pet shop, can also be used for the treatment of Lipfold dermatitis  :)
Haven't tried this one myself.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 04:27:02 PM »
I use Hibiscrub to wash the area and then put some TCP on.  I find that the TCP smells better than the pong from the infection  :(  and it clears Sebastian's trouble up very quickly.  He hasn't had an infection for quite some time now.
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Penel

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 05:48:48 PM »
Ouch TCP would sting like b*ggery on lip fold dermatitis wouldn't it ?  I am taking Tilly to the vets this week too with it, it almost clears up each time and then recurs again - she is fairly dribbly and I wonder if thats why it never goes - her mouth is always damp.

Offline flora

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 06:14:41 PM »
hi funnily enough molly has this problem to my vet told me to use hydrogen peroxide to clean when it stops fizzing wipe with clean water on cotton wool just once a day then he has given her an antibiotic jab and some otomax ear cleaner to use as iontment all this to be done once a day i am fairly shure this will work well i hope it will!!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »
Ouch TCP would sting like b*ggery on lip fold dermatitis wouldn't it ?  I am taking Tilly to the vets this week too with it, it almost clears up each time and then recurs again - she is fairly dribbly and I wonder if thats why it never goes - her mouth is always damp.
[snapback]129719[/snapback]

Penel

I don't think it can sting as Sebastian doesn't mind it at all.  I use it on myself and it doesn't sting.  

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 07:43:22 AM »
Vegas had it really bad a couple of weeks ago. I used the normal hibiscrub & Thornit but it wasn't touching it this time. The area was swollen and smelled rotten :ph34r:  Used Fuciderm on its own for a week and that cleared it up. Of course, sods law, Dallas has it now!!! But his doesn't seem to be as bad and the hibiscrub is doing the trick.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 11:34:52 AM »
Boysie seems to have this permanently now, and flinches when I try to clean his folds(using diluted hibiscrub). One is quite deep, and never seems to dry out. Last autumn one side got infected with small blisters and a boil, that the vet had to lance. Today the vet has said we should seriously consider the op to straighten them out - but this terrifies me . Is it really the only option left?

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 06:17:18 PM »
if it's constant infection like this then probably yes - but it is very successful surgery. My friend's boy had it done as he suffered terribly - he's a different dog now :D
Pam n the boys

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 08:26:03 PM »
Cleo had the surgery too, and was the best thing we did. She used to get it on and off constantly. To be honest I dont think it really ever cleared up properly. Livvy isnt troubled by it, and Alfie only now and again usually in warm weather.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 10:41:58 PM »
if it's constant infection like this then probably yes - but it is very successful surgery. My friend's boy had it done as he suffered terribly - he's a different dog now :D
[snapback]131233[/snapback]

I suppose I'm worried because he's about 7, and I'm concerned about him having any op. Can I ask how your friend's dog after surgery - I'm thinking about eating, going out for walks etc.........

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 11:09:36 PM »
I know you asked Pammy, but when Cleo had it, she was bit sensitive for a couple of days. They used soluble sutures so we just had to keep it clean and dryish and take her back for a checkup. She ate normally the next day.
I'd walk your dog away from anywhere dirty though. Probably just excersise in thr garden for a few days.

They are much more resillient (sp) that we give them credit for.
Love from Karen and Livvy