Author Topic: Going down hill - Advice needed  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Chocolate Hero

Going down hill - Advice needed
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
Just after a bit of advice, unfortunately after a few weeks of ups and downs with the bloods we seem to be on a larger decrease to 31%. The vets has decided steroids just are not doing the job for him and are now wanting to try azathioprim as a last resort. His white cells just will not quit at attacking his red cells. The vets are going to be contacting Edinburgh tomorrow to get more advice.

It feels like were hitting the end of the road, but just don't know when that is. We have both said how ever hard, we would rather him be happy and have had a good quality of life. I know he's not in pain but he hates not getting to do the things he loves. If we know the end of road is near we think we would rather lift his restrictions and let him live life as he has always loved rather than as an ill boy.

How do you know when the time comes to start coming to terms with making decisions, when there not in pain, but not getting the quality of life they deserve and just fighting to maintain a basic level? Never had to make the tough decisions with such a young dog, it seems cruel to think about it but i know we need to rather than it spring up at us.  :'(
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Going down hill - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
So sorry to read this I had hoped things were stabilising, I don't really have any advice but just wanted to send love and say I am thinking of you.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »
Thanks, its good to know COL's out there  helps as you all get how much a cocker becomes your life. Just thought we would have another 10years, not having to think this way after 2.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »
Thinking of you Becs, really know where you are coming from re living his life not as an ill little boy, big hugs x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
I am sorry, not able to help you.  Just wanted to say that I so sorry you are having to deal with all this and I hope you can get some help from somewhere.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
Oh this is so awful for you all. I have everything crossed that it will never come to you having to make such a hard decision. As we all know and love the cocker zest for life, it really is such a hard thing to have to think about but if it does eventually come to that, you know your boy better than anyone else and you will know what is the absolute best thing for him, even if that is the worst thing for you. Sending you all lots of positive thoughts and lots of  :luv: :luv: and  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
So sorry things are not going well  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »
My heart goes out to you  :bigarmhug: You really shouldn't have be thinking of this with a dog so young  :'( 
I agree with Redked ....you know your boy  :luv: I hope and pray that the vets can give him his quality of life back  :huh: and that it won't come to that  :-*
Sending  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you both xx

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
This is just too awful to comprehend. Poor Jethro and poor you  :bigarmhug:

I can't imagine not being able to exercise him - he must be so confused. Have you been advised not to? Or would it really set him back?

I sincerely hope the vets can sort out something that works. Life can be so unfair sometimes.

Thinking of you all xx
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »
I am so sorry.  My heart goes out to you.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »
He's to be kept calm (what ever that is to a cocker) he's allowed 15mins of walks a day which isn't enough but he can't cope with much more anyway as he gets out of breath.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
Can he go out in the garden? Maybe you could play 'find it' out there for a change? To be honest, if he has to be kept calm the barking is probably worse for him than a run around the garden.  :bigarmhug:
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
yea we play find it type games a lot but he's getting bored. At the moment its the drug changes & outcome thats the most worrying. Outcome depends what we do about restrictions. were getting by with the restrictions.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you both  :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 09:45:58 PM »
I'm so sorry, what an awful predicament for you. This is just so unfair with such a young dog.

I really hope that the new drug makes a big improvement and that Jethro can have more exercise and less restrictions  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: