Author Topic: Kidney Failure - updated p3 :-(  (Read 6316 times)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
Re: Kidney Failure - help!!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
Only thing I can offer are positive and healing thoughts for Purdey and lots of these for you both.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

this also comes from me xx

Offline Millipede

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
I am very sorry to hear about Purdey. I lost my last cocker Della to kidney disease, although she was a lot older. Has the vet advised switching to a special kidney food, as it is important to feed low phosphorus and low protein to reduce the strain on the kidneys? Della lost her appetite (or perhaps the food wasn't very tasty) so it was a daily battle to get her to eat properly. She surprised the vets by living for a few years, but don't know how advanced she was when she was diagnosed to compare with Purdey.  :'(

Offline lottiescat

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
I've no experience of this. I know that humans have special diets that keep things under control for a bit. We all send positive thoughts and our love.....

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »
just wanted to send  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you and Purdey

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that Purdey is in renal faillure, you must be devastated :( I'm sure, as has been said above that your vet probably advised you to place her on a specific renal diet and also on meds to support her kidneys. Fortekor is one of the mainstays of treating kidney failure as is diet control. Is she drinking and peeing a lot? Praying your  Purdey is around for years to come.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
I would pm Bluegirl. She is an absolute whizz with natural remedies and I know she treated her own girl when she was suffering with renal failure. Cannot hurt to ask xxxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments. Purdey is home from the vets after spending 2 days on a drip and I have to say she looks like a playful puppy apart from the weight loss - it's so hard to believe there is anything wrong with her!! She loves the KD diet and bounces as high as the counter top while I'm getting it ready for her!

The only signs (now I'm looking hard for them) is that she has very yucky breath, she does drink a LOT (but she always has), and she is sick a few times a week. She seems a bit uncomfortable at night and struggles to settle down but apart from that, she is chasing birds in the garden, playing tug with Luna, barking at the Postman etc as if there was nothing wrong.  I keep clutching at straws and kidding myself that maybe they've misdiagnosed her!! ;-)

I'll PM Bluegirl. If anyone has any suggestions for alternative therapies etc I'd love to hear them. Does anyone know kidney friendly treats I can give her when I'm going out for a few hours - I always used to leave a rawhide chew or kong with pate etc

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
So pleased to hear she's home and improving. I hope you are able to find the right medicines to help have a full and happy life. All the very best  :D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
 :banana: great news  :D so pleased Purdey has responded so well.

As I mentioned before it took Chester about 12 months before the meds really helped after which she led a very normal life and diet for the majority of the time.  Hope Purdey continues to do so well,

Jayne
X

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 08:32:22 PM »
So sorry to hear this, but happy to hear she seems to be enjoying life.  Not sure if the KD stuff is kibble, but if so can you moisten it a bit and stick it in her kong when you have to go out, instead of giving it to her for her dinner, or give her it half in kong, half in dinner?

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Re: Kidney Failure - updated :-(
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »
Purdey managed to fight for 6 months and has been absolutely brilliant through all of it, but she suddenly took a downturn last week and on Saturday we made the sad decision to say goodbye. :'( :'( 

We all miss her so much - I had no idea it would hurt quite so much.  :'(

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Kidney Failure - updated p3 :-(
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
good night brave little soldier
run free  :luv:

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 06:49:26 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Purdey, you must be beside yourself  :'(  I am glad however that you had those very precious months with her  :luv:  There are lots of our cocker babies for you to run free with at the bridge  :luv:  Take care, Lesley x
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline woodlander

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
So sorry to read this.  What wonderful precious months you've had together
Run free little one  :luv:

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
Oh how very sad.  Don't know what to say.  Take care.
Diane