Author Topic: Thornits ear powder  (Read 1090 times)

Offline venster

Thornits ear powder
« on: March 18, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »
Hi all.

I'd just like to say what a great website this is for a first time dog owner.  Didn't realise there was so much to owning a dog, but everyone's advice so far has been very helpful.

I've just bought some Thornit's powder.   Emily my cocker does have dirty ears and had an ear infection when we collected her, but that's gone now so want to try and prevent any recurrence of it.

My question is where exactly do you sprinkle the powder?  As close to, and around, the ear opening on the head, or on the ear flap itself next to the opening?

And how often would you suggest as a preventative measure?

Thanks

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Thornits ear powder
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
Thornits is great and if used correctly will keep ears clean.
I always clean Ollies ear with an ear cleaning solution, that I buy from the vets. I use Colton wool face pads. Once clean dry them with a clean pad.
I put my Thornits into a small dish. Then take a clean brush (I have a 1/2 inch paintbrush but a blusher brush will do nicely. Dip your brush into the powder the dust all around the outer ear. Put the excess powder back into the bottle.
Hope that makes sense.

Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline venster

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:55 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your reply, I used a cotton wool ball to dust it around (blusher brushes aren't my scene!).

I've since just sprinkled it with my fingers - seems a lot easier, especially as it's quite grainy and not powdery as I thought it would be.

It's quite a pungent smell isn't it !

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
The problem with sprinkling it is the grain that could go down the ear. A brush is easier small paint brush is good. I pat the brush into the powder and that way only get powder. Yes the smell is strong but...worth it.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
Well worth investing in a little brush, I to was dabbing it on with my finger (blusher not my thing ether) Bea had a reaction in one ear I believe to the powder so unfortunately I no longer use it.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
The problem with sprinkling it is the grain that could go down the ear. A brush is easier small paint brush is good. I pat the brush into the powder and that way only get powder. Yes the smell is strong but...worth it.

Does anyone remember TCP antiseptic liquid?  Is that the same smell as Thornits?  :huh:
When Millie had her last professional groom, she returned smelling of TCP and with grainy powder in her ears...

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Does anyone remember TCP antiseptic liquid?  Is that the same smell as Thornits?  :huh:
When Millie had her last professional groom, she returned smelling of TCP and with grainy powder in her ears...

No, it is a different smell - I really like it.

I sprinkle it from the handle of a teaspoon.  Have never had a problem even if some of the powder does go down into the ear  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
I agree with Joules different smell that TCP but certainly has an antiseptic smell to my nose :005:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed