Author Topic: paw not healing  (Read 361 times)

Offline millyann

paw not healing
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:01 PM »
About six weeks ago. Carlo was limping and licking his paw. The vet found a sort of little warty lump between his pads which was getting sore from licking and removed it under general anesthetic. Carlo was bandaged for a month, no walks except round the block for the toilet - we were all going mad and he was so miserable. Finally the vet announced it was healed and we got back to normal. The last couple of days, he's been licking his paw again and, when I examined it tonight, I saw the wound was open again and much bigger than it was before.  I guess I have to go back tomorrow and we have to go through the whole thing again. Does anyone have any similar experience? Do wounds on the foot ever clear up? I suppose every time he puts his foot down, it puts pressure on the wound. So how can it heal?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: paw not healing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »
Can't give idea on the paw but do hope all goes well at the vet.

Many years ago we had OH Nana's corgi.  After Nana passed away the dog went to stay on MILs farm and she was attacked by a farm dog, Sally was quite old and story is very long ;) anyway we brought her to our home as vet said the care and someone being around was going to be the only way forward- the worst injury was to her front leg above paw where it bends.  I had to dress it daily and also massage and move leg and get her to stand etc a first it was every 3-hours so disturbed nights.....anyway it healed after about six months, during this time she was loving known as Sally Bucket (due to bucket round her neck) there are comfy collars now so they dont bang into things......it would stop the licking.....just an idea.
I think the healing has two concerns first where it is weight baring it will open up, and with cockers licking the second concern, do hope someone comes up with ideas for you.  But age is on Carlo's side as he is young and I think his wound would heal better.

Julie

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed