Author Topic: Cocker logic!!  (Read 659 times)

Offline Sumava Cockers

Cocker logic!!
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
Barnaby's coming on nicely.

Eyes are no longer blue but are currently green!

Recall is getting better and better.  Yesterday he was performing well over a distance of greater than 100m, and unsightes of me over the brow of a hill.  What a star!

And talking of performing brings me to the point of this post.  House-training is improving but not progressing as swiftly as we's hoped.  This is probably down to him being a mid-winter puppy and effectively having an extra 6 weeks indoors before the very cold weather passed.  Anyway,  our old girl Betty was able to be very well controlled by using guilt,  so we thought we'd try the same on Barnaby.  Caught in the act of peeing on the floor is penalised by having to sit in the Naughty corner for ten minutes.  This brought about a big reduction in the number of accidents.  we were pleased.

And then last night Cocker logic prevailed.  We were all sitting in the living room,  not particularly paying any attention to the pup,  when all of a sudden he walked over to the Naughty Corner and sat there quietly for ten minutes.  Yep,  you've guessed it,  he's already prrd on the floor,  and knew the next thing on the agenda,  so took the initiative! :-)  Ha ha......
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Cocker logic!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
Aww what a funny little boy, so sweet  :luv: Hope I'm not being rude to offer advise, but it would be even more effective to carry him outside when caught in the act. Puppies have really short attention spans and he does not have the cognitive ability to know that you put him in the naughty corner because you want him to pee outside. His logic, as you observed, is that a wee inside should be followed by sitting in the corner. He is not ashamed, he is simply doing what he is trained to do  ;) So I think you would have better luck by carrying him outside to show him where you want him to wee.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
Agree with Mari - but bless him, he's made the connection!  :luv:

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
Yep,  you're exactly right Mari.  Thanks for the advice.

Its an example of how cocker logic isn't quite the same and that of us humans.

Our old girl used to get a biscuit whenever we got home.  We thought it odd that although a home loving dog,  that she's try and escape whenever the front door was opened.   It turned out that in her mind the act of crossing the threshold into the home was rewarded with a biscuit,  so in Cocker logic se was plainly expected to do perform that task as often as possible,  and to cross the threshold inwards a cocker first has to be on the other side of it.  Simples:-)

Barnaby is now being carted out mid-pee whenever caught in the act!
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
Oh bless....very logical to me :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed