Author Topic: diabetes in cockers-help!  (Read 731 times)

Offline hblower

• Site Member
diabetes in cockers-help!
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »
orin has been diagnosed with diabetes at 10.5 yrs old. he is going in to have his glucose curve mapped tomorrow but just looking for what on earth to do and any advice. it seems all dog treats have sugar in- his dry food seems ok as its rice and turkey based good quality but i am going to swap his pouch meat for mince from the vets as pouches have sugar in.
how do people manage please? rourines, working, feeding etc, holidays

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
diabetes in cockers-help!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
I can't really help but I can offer you this advice.

I work in a pharmacy and if they (the vets) give your dog any medication please take it to a pharmacy. Ask the pharmacist is this a human medication or is there an equivalent one? Also ask them how much would it cost to buy it from the pharmacy?

My cocker has a lifelong eye condition that the vets prescribed pred-forte eye drops for, they charged me about £19.00 for a 5ml bottle that only lasts 28 days once opened. Because it's a prescription only item I didn't really know the cost,  but when I looked it up on the system I was shocked to find out I could get the same drops 2 x 5ml bottles for £6.35 with a vet prescription.

My other halves parents collie has epilepsy and has to get kepra tablets, my other halves  mother was paying £90 for 30 tablets = 1 month supply from the vets. I went into work and checked on the system and for a pack of 60 tablets = 2 months supply its £5.15

Yes you'd have to pay £12-15 for a vet prescription but depending on the drugs it could end up saving you a fortune.

I have told all my friends who have dogs to always ask a pharmacy about their dogs medication. As in most cases dog and human medication is the same.

My cocker also has skin allergies and is on Apoquel tablets this isn't available for humans so is sourced via a vet prescription from a well known pet drug site online.

It's really worth looking into and I hope you get the help and information you need.

But there are plenty of options with medication that will save you money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Re: diabetes in cockers-help!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:37 PM »
I have always been warned not to tell the pharmacy if you are buying 'human' medication (eg.piriton) for your pet - they'll refuse to sell it to you!

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:34:25 PM »
I have always been warned not to tell the pharmacy if you are buying 'human' medication (eg.piriton) for your pet - they'll refuse to sell it to you!

Yes that's because you want to buy it yourself, not with a vets prescription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »
Have you looked into more Natural dog treats ?

Fish4dogs, natures menu and I'm sure many others do treats that have very few ingredients.

If I got Bea's medication from the vet I would pay £80 per bottle, from a pharmacy with her prescription I pay £41 per bottle plus the £10 prescription, I always ask for 3 bottles on one prescription so this keeps costs down.

I hope Orin feels better soon.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
you mention treats also and wondered if this site might have idea for home made treats.
https://www.bdws.co.uk/category/dog-food-recipes/
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed