Author Topic: Poor Poorly Poppy  (Read 34202 times)

Offline dood

• Site Member
Poor Poorly Poppy
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:23:12 AM »
To prove allyou people right who told me we shouldn't get Poppy from a breder when her house smelt - she's not a well girl at all. When we picked her up on Sunday(9 :'( weeeks old) she was full of beans then slept solidly for 9 hours(no water or food) before sleep again all night. We noticed blood in her poo and ttok her to the vet yeserday. Colitis maybe caused by worms or stress and  ear mites and the vet noted how lethargic she was, didn;t even stir with thermometer in her boottom. Been given worming stuff, diet food, antibiotics etc.She did eat special diet food and played with us  yesterday altho she slept far more. Today she has been awake since 6.30 by this I mean out of her crate - bloody mucus all over the newspaper in there. She doesn't want to play and just wants to go to sleep on anyone's lap. She has drunk but won't eat.
Vet wants to see her on Friday but said take her in if she goes downhill. I don't know what to do. Am crying as I write this. This isn't how it was meant to be we wanted a happy bouncy puppy and we've got beautiful, friendly, permanently asleep Poppy.
So you can say we told you so but please help me. Do I take her back to the vet today or leave it another day and hope meds kick in? Breeder keeps saying she'll take her back and much as I love her a tiny, mean  part of me wants to do just this as we didn't pay her all that money for a sick dog - butthen what would happen to her? She's lovely and we adore her and just want her instantly to spring back to health I suppose.
I'm sorry I just needed to get that off my chest but actually I stil don't feel any better.

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Poor Poorly Poppy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:34:01 AM »
So sorry that Poppy not well - I'm sure we all want your poopy to get well as soon as possible :(

They are really fragile at this age, so if you are at all worried, I would go back to the vet - they can dehydrate so quickly :(  Try to tempt her with some cooked chicken, mince or similar - at this stage, even a small bit of food might just get a bit absorbed, so will do her good :(

Puppies do sleep alot anyway - and the combination of drugs she has had might be a bit overwhelming for her and so make her sleepy too. I am sure that once she is feeling better you will be looking back at these few "quiet" days ;)

Only you know if taking her back to the breeder is the right thing to do. Some pups do get very stressed when they move into their new home, and can get poorly to a lesser or greater extent;  but ear mites don't sound right for a puppy from a reputable breeder :( Did she come with Insurance, from the KC, maybe? If so, you will probably be able to claim on that for the costs of her treatment; but bear in mind when you come to insure her after the "free" period, that this will count as a pre-existing condition so you will have to declare it if you move insurers :-/

I hope you and Poppy are feeling better soon
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:37:33 AM »
When I got Dallas, I had to rush him to the emergency vet the day after I got him as his poo was basically pure blood, he wouldn't eat or drink and was very lethargic. He came from a show kennel and was fully vaccinated so it might unfortunately just be one of those things :-\ He was diagnosed with gastroenteritis and was very close to being kept in on a drip but he picked up with his antibiotic treatment.

If Poppy is drinking now, thats a good sign and will stop her becoming dehydrated. Keep trying to tempt her with some food - just small amounts to begin with. Because she is so small, any illness will take quite a lot out of them so do let her sleep if she needs it. (Pups sleep a lot even when they are 100% well!!) Antibiotics can make some dogs feel sick so bear that in mind if she still doesn't eat anything this morning (the vet may change her treatment).  I would phone your vet this morning to give them an update and they will be able to advise you further. They may want to see her again with her being so young.

Hope she feels better soon :-*
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »
Nobody on here, would say i told you so !! As nobody could possible know what was going to happen. You can get a pup from the best breeder in the world, and the Pup may be poorly.

At least the breeder is saying she will take her back, thats something, she is not wiping her hands of her. i would tell her you want to give her the best chance, and will review the situation in a week or two.  At least you then you you are really giving her the best chance.

It really could be a bug, which can be dealt with, do not despair at this stage. I would defo call the vets.
Keep her well watered.

Let us know how ou get on today.

Have got everything crossed for you !!!

Do not worry about having done the wrong thing, you have given a beautiful little pup a chance, which is so important !!!

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »
You poor thing.  I would agree with the others and go back to the vet if you are at all unsure.  Puppies dehydrate really quickly.

I really hope that she picks up soon and you get your bouncy little puppy that you were hoping for.

Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 07:59:49 AM »
agree with all that's been said, we're not here to judge....and all have poppy's and your happy future together in our minds...so yes, please call the vets...and don't be worried that you are an over-protective parent (we all are!).  dehydration can happen quickly in a tiny body so sometimes the vet (and a drip) is a scary but best option...

so hope that poppy is feeling better soon...and the fact that you love her so much already is really giving her a fighting chance ;luv;

please don't beat yourself up about it... ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:33:44 AM »
I agree with all the above. As Rachel (IWLAss) says puppies at this age do sleep a lot, some more than others. The main thing is she needs to keep drinking to prevent dehydration. I would keep in close touch with your vets as well as it can be difficult to know sometimes especially when they're this young.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:35:02 AM »
Poor you and poor pup ((((HUGS))))

As already said,if you are worried in anyway go back to the vet. The vet wont think anything of it and will be glad to be able to help. I remember one time Alfie was poorly and I was in the vets three times in one day in floods of tears. Pups are so tiny that even the most minor of infections can knock them for six and its scarey for any owner to see it - let alone a new owner.

Even without being poorly a pup will spend more of the day alseep then awake. So give the vet a ring for a chat or to make an appointment and in the meantime just keep on trying her with fluids and small bits of plain cooked chicken.

Hope she recovers soon
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »
Big hug to you and ickle Poppy

Please don't worry about the sleeping too much - as already said young pups sleep a lot, so that plus the meds....
But obviously, if you are at all worried talk to the vet!

Thinking of you both, keep us updated...

Petra

Offline Tracey Jane

• Site Member
  • We're just silly about Milly
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 09:19:07 AM »
You poor thing. I really feel for you.  When we got Milly she was very sick within the first couple of days of getting her. I didn't know whether I was coming or going. I'd so desperately wanted a puppy for so long and then when I finally got one she was so poorly it broke my heart.  We could have taken her back but once I had her she had a hold of my heart so tight I couldn't possibly give her back regardless of the outcome. I'm not saying that this is what you should do but don't give up hope.  

As everyone has said give the Vet a call even if it's just to put your mind at rest - they won't mind, they want your pup to be as happy and healthy as you do. I'm sure once the medication works in she'll start to pick up. Also feeling safe and loved will help her to recover - which is exactly what she will feel with you.

I really do hope things improve today for you both. Please keep us posted.

Will be thinking of you both.

Big hugs  

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »
Hi,

I'd definately call the vet just to be on the safe side but she may well be at that stage where she's going through the worst of it before she starts to pick up. Our Max was incredibly quiet for the first few days & had a bit of a runny tum on & off & slept LOADS & he came from a very reputable place where he'd been adored & kept as part of the family.

I remember one day last Summer when he literally slept all day & at one point I couldn't seem to wake him up properly at all - I was frantic - called hubby in tears to rush home from work - just about to speed up to the vets, etc. when he rolled over, opened his eyes, looked around in a sleepy daze & promptly wandered off into the garden & started demolishing a plant!?!

Just make sure she drinks & try to tempt her with basic plain food & keep a very close eye on her - hopefully, the meds will kick in soon & once she's recovered, she'll be right as rain & then the puppy mayhem will begin!!   :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
Aww so sorry to hear about Poppy :'(  I agree with whats been said already, if you are in any way worried, you take her the vets. 

Thinking of you both xxx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
So sorry to hear that Poppy isn't well.  Can't really add anything to what has already been said, but I would say that if you're at all still concerned about her, take her back to the vets.

Will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed Poppy recovers quickly.

xxx
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »
((((Hugs to you and Poppy))))

Sorry that she's not well, I don't have any other advice really other than keep in touch with your vet and trying the the things that everyone's been suggesting.  Who knows what could have caused her to be unwell, I've heard of pups from all manner of backgrounds being ill when they're taken home.  Don't be too hard on yourself.

If it was me I'd be in constant touch with the vet, and keep us updated on her progress.  I hope she's feeling better soon.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
Really sorry to hear about poor little Poppy, you must be so worried. I would say if you're at all concerned take her to the vet, they really won't mind, I'm sure they'd rather you took her in than didn't, and it will help to put your mind at ease.

Like others have said, pups really do sleep alot and she's been through alot with the move, feeling so unwell and trips to the vet. Glad to hear that she is drinking as that's a good sign. You could try cooking a little bit of white rice and chicken and making up a fairly sloppy mix for her (even put it through the blender), if she's drinking then she might lap at that and get at least a tiny bit of energy into her. You could do the same with the puppy food she's been on, make it really sloppy and she might have a little go at it.

Keep us updated, we're all thinking of you and wishing Poppy better.  :blink:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk