Author Topic: Cysts on front paws  (Read 6105 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Cysts on front paws
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 08:54:36 PM »
I have to keep Ham's ppaws shaved to prevent them now. Hope it works. I hope h gets btter, your poor boy.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2006, 12:42:23 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying, Mick. I've been away covering a story down south and only just got the message.  Lady Lola is spot on about the 'sp'.  Any vet will understand my approximation, however.  Binnie had absolutely no side effects with the long-term antiobiotics, unlike the steroids which put weight on her and made her even more ravenously hungry.  I agree with Louiebeans mum that a food allergy (or even a contact allergy) is a possibility although I would have thought it would have manifested itself a bit sooner as your dog is quite a mature chap.  As part of the long run up to getting control of Binnie's problems, we had a full range of allergy tests done.  In her case, she showed a reaction to house dust mite and also a mite found in hay (which I forgot in my original post).  To an extent, we could llimit her exposure to these but it was virtually impossible to shield her from them entirely.  My vet also said that once the infection has become deep-seated, it is likely to flare up regularly even if the 'triggers' aren't present. 

The regime we developed was basically:
(1) Constant antibiotics - Cephalex .... oh, you know what I mean ... at a low level
(2) A shock treatment of steroids followed by fourteen days on a lower dose if we got an outbreak that the antibiotics couldn't control.  Then we stopped before she built up a resistance.
(3) Daily doses of evening primrose oil and fish oil in Efavet capsules (this really did so much good - can't recommend it enough).
(4) Paw washes in salt water and a thorough but gentle drying after every walk
(5) Foot fur kept clipped short
(6) Little boots for a week after the hay was cut (made by me out of fleece, velcro ties and little rubber soles and a right sight!)
(7) Lots of very boring cleaning of the house and her bedding and hypoallergenic food (JWB with fresh veg although I'm yet to be convinced that any of the food stuff made any difference)
(8) If she was in pain, we used Metacam which seemed to take the inflammation down and gave her some relief. (My preview page is showing a smiley here which I can't get rid of. Maddening as i have never felt less like smiling in my life.  I am garbage at this posting-lark however so you'll have to excuse me!)
(9) Sea paddles whenever it could be managed.  (Easy for you on Skye, lucky person).  The salt water disinfects the feet.

We live in a very rural area and it just wasn't possible to keep Binnie away from all the other bacteria loaded things like manure without making her life really unhappy.  We relied on the washing to protect her.  But I never walked her in fields that had been newly muckspread or sprayed.  It sounds as if you have similar problems but I think it's important to keep your dog keen on life and robbing him of his favourite walk would be worse than dealing with the consequences.  I wouldn't dream of contradicting your vet but I really think it would be helpful to discuss the antibiotic route rather than relying purely on steroids.  I must emphasize that we never managed to 'cure' the problem but we did manage to control it.  We reduced the cysts from being constantly there to an outbreak two or three times a year.  I am so sorry for you both.  It is a rotten, rotten situation to have to deal with.  I could have cried so often to see my happy, lively little dog in such distress.  But don't give up - there are things that will help and you just have to investigate what is right for you.  There is loads more on the web about interdigital cysts than there was when we started.  Maybe you need to point your vet at it.  I really hope to have better news from you soon. 

Offline mick

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2006, 04:05:41 PM »
Hi Folks,

Many thanks to all for all the suggestions and best wishes it is really very kind of you all.

I will let Coral know what you suggested but to be honest she has not a hope in hell of putting shoes on our Jess. He once cut his paw (long time ago now) and the vet badaged it and when I warned him that I expected the bandage to last no more than a couple of minutes he told us he wont fetch that of very easily. Well he was right it was not very easy for him it was in fact easy easy and lasted about 30 seconds whilst we stood there paying our bill. So the vet took him back in and had another go to the same effect. I swear to god that our Jess stood there with bandages all over his head where he had tore them off and thrown them around whilst looking at the vet and doing a good impression of Mutley. I was starting to gag trying not to laugh with OH giving me dagger looks. We finished up leaving the wound as it was with the vet suggesting a collar but I did not want him to have this and so I got into a routine of when he was licking it told him to  "pack it in Jess" and he soon related to this and stopped (though giving me dagger loooks ) and its no different now when he has the Cysts I just tell him this and he stops licking. 

He has allways had a thing about his feet being cut. He stands very nice whilst Coral cuts the rest of him with just a little nervous twitch when she gets to his dangly bits  :005: (then again who wouldnt) but will in no way will he tollerate having his feet clipped but to give Coral her due she sticks at it and I will suggest to her that she clips them even shorter. Then again being two hand a half thousand miles away it easy for me to say. She allready bathes them every day in warm salt water. I started this routine off last time I was home for two weeks and he did not make a fuss at all.

I think its woryth giving the antibiotics a go and see what happens as anything more radical I am not going to entertain anymore.

I am not in Skye Annie. I use SKYPE to talk to Coral through the P.C. I am in Tripoli Libya on my own but if our Jess was with me (if only) then I would not let him walk in the sea out here.

One other thing about the above and him licking at the sores that I would like advise on. My late father always stated that there was a healing effect in a dogs spittle and the dog should be left to lick the wound. I have no idea if there is any truth in this or not. Anyone else an opinion on this as I always stop him licking if he starts.

Thanks everyone like I stated before it does me good to get things off my chest.

Keep smiling and keep well
Best regards from Libya
Mick         

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2006, 04:42:34 PM »
Ooooops  :005: :005: Memo to self:  read before you write :lol: