Author Topic: Worries after Barney's castration and hernia repair yesterday  (Read 6465 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Worries after Barney's castration and hernia repair yesterday
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:45:31 PM »
Barney was castrated and had his umbilcal hernia repair yesterday. Last night he was fairly distressed, crying continually and he wouldn't settle. He'd had a little bit of scrambled egg, he'd drunk and been to the toilet. In the end I laid him on my chest (I was in my recline chair) he settled there with odd bits of crying. I tried to put him in his crate but with his bucket on his head there wasn't enough room. So I let him out and waited to see if he'd settle but he wouldn't at all. In the end he spent all night laying on me, with a few toilet breaks.

This morning was much the same, but he had a fair bit of diarrhea and then he was sick a bit. Then he started to be really sick, and he was very distressed. He would cry and then stand there with his head hung for ages. I called the vets, but unfortunately my vet had a family emergency so there was another practice covering. I took him there and they said that the way he was hanging his head meant he was in alot of pain, apparently its what they call the praying position. The gave a pain killing injection similar to morphine and an anti sickness injection. He said that if he'd been stressed it takes them longer to recover from the anaesthetic. They gave me a tin of light food to give him a little at a time. He's had a small amount tonight.

When I got him home he sat for ages with his head hung then he flopped down and went to sleep. He slept for a few hours. Whats worrying in me is that he's wandering around crying again, nothing will settle him. I've tried leaving him to settle, having him on me and nothings really working. We've had him outside and he's not doing anything. If he's on me he'll settle for a few minutes then he's crying again, but he's not trying to get down which he would normally do when he's had a cuddle and wants to go.  When he's on me I'm taking his bucket off him to make him more comfortable but he's still crying.

Does anyone have any ideas? He is a wuss and I did expect him not to take it too well but nothing like this.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Worries after Barney's castration and hernia repair yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:50:32 PM »
Aw, poor Barney :(

I think they all react to anaethetic in different ways - it took Molo two or three days to recover from a lumpectomy last year - he wasn't sick, but obviously in pain and totally disorientated - and whining constantly, it was really distressing to watch  :'(

I hope he recovers soon - I rang the vet for reassurance more than once  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:53:24 PM »
You're right Rachel they all must react differently.

Sapphi and Max were both groggy the day of their ops but the next day they were both almost like normal, which is probably why I'm so worried about him.  :-\
He is due back at my vets tomorrow afternoon for a check up, but its looking like another long night for both of us.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »
aw thats awful bless him. I dont know what to suggest other than ring the vet for some advice :-\

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »
Poor lad. I was going to suggest trying him without the buster collar to see if that was making things worse but you have already tried that :-\

Hope you get a more peaceful night tonight
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:03:01 PM »
Ruby wouldn't settle the last time she had GA and she was also in pain from the thorn that had been in her eye.

If he's not bothering with the wound then I wouldn't bother with the bucket either regardless of whether he's sitting on you or not. I have a number of fosters who are neutered here by my vets and I never use the buckets (mine don't even give them to when you leave the surgery).

Hope he feels himself soon :luv:
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »
Poor Barney, he sounds really upset. It sounds like it'll be the anaesthetic Sam, I wish I could suggest something to help, would a warm hot water bottle give him a bit of comfort do you think?  If he's still the same in the morning I think I'd ring the vet for advice instead of waiting for the afternoon. Hope you manage a restful night (both of you) Sorry you've now this worry as well as Sapphi's problems (hope she's improving.) Update us tomorrow Love Jann :luv:  :-* :-* for Barney :luv:

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »
I don't know what to suggest other than calling the vet.  I hope he manages to settle tonight and feels better in the morning.

I've just been reading your other thread about Sapphi - you are having an awful time at the moment.  Our dogs really know how to worry us.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:29:31 PM »

If he's not bothering with the wound then I wouldn't bother with the bucket either regardless of whether he's sitting on you or not. I have a number of fosters who are neutered here by my vets and I never use the buckets (mine don't even give them to when you leave the surgery).

The vets gave us the bucket just in case he was bothering with the wounds with an advice sheet saying they very rarely bother with the wounds. Well straight away he did, so I tried for a bit just telling him no (one dog with a bucket is enough, two is more than my poor legs and paintwork can take  ::) ) but he just wouldn't leave them alone so we put it on him. While he was doing his wondering around and crying he's then scratching the wound (is only his hernia wound that he could reach) with his back legs so I've ended up having to cover his paws so he can't do any damage.

He had laid down for 20 minutes but now he's wandering around and crying again.  :'(

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »
Aw poor Barney  :'( 

It is so distressing to see your dog upset and in pain.  I'd ring your vet as soon as they are open (hopefully you won't need to) and describe his reactions.  It looks like another long night for you..........................

Luckily Ben didn't have the hernia repair at the same time as castration as the vet said the hole was tiny and the lump was just fatty tissue.  He was distressed all evening and all night (I slept downstairs with him, in tears at times as I felt so guilty).  He did show a big recovery the next day though and didn't need the buster collar.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »
Maybe you'd feel better if you did phone vet tonight for advice Sam. If they can reassure you that Barney's behaviour is to be expected you won't be so worried? I really feel for you it must be awful :-\

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:58:11 PM »
Luckily Ben didn't have the hernia repair at the same time as castration as the vet said the hole was tiny and the lump was just fatty tissue.  He was distressed all evening and all night (I slept downstairs with him, in tears at times as I felt so guilty).  He did show a big recovery the next day though and didn't need the buster collar.

Unfortunately Barney's hernia was getting bigger, it started off tiny and wasn't even apparent when he was lying down but it ended up really quite big.  :-\

Maybe you'd feel better if you did phone vet tonight for advice Sam. If they can reassure you that Barney's behaviour is to be expected you won't be so worried? I really feel for you it must be awful :-\

I'm finding it really upsetting watching him being so distressed, its almost like having a baby because I don't know what is troubling him, I've tried toilet, water, cuddles, left alone, no bucket and nothing helps. I had prepared myself for his reaction last night as he is a big wuss, but I really didn't think he'd be so distressed today/tonight.
Then I look at Sapphi who is looking equally forelorn and she is constantly trying to itch her eye through the bucket.
I'm finding this very hard, to see both of them so unhappy and distressed is breaking my heart.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 11:10:11 PM »
Oh Sam, I'm so sorry it must be so distressing for you. It really is awful when you can't do anything to help. Everything always seems worse at night too doesn't it? Hope OH is up as well and supporting you in this! Can only say again if you really are worried, phone an emergency vet. Wish I could help, thinking of you  :luv: :luv:

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
Meg had an op just over a week ago and her first night home was awful.  She just lay down and cried, shuffled about a bit and laid down some more crying.  It was really distressing and she didn't even want cuddles as it hurt too much.

I feel for you, especially with 2.  It always seems twice as bad when you're tired and stressed.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »
Um I know its not the same thing, but when George had a skin infection and Linus had a lump removed I put a T-shirt on them. It didn't stop them scratching, but did stop the damage. :huh:

Sorry cant think of anything else to help  :-\ Other than bring him here as I'm not sleeping very well at the mo so at least you'd get some sleep x

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.