Author Topic: Worries after Barney's castration and hernia repair yesterday  (Read 6467 times)

Offline louiebeans mum

• Site Member
  • Louiebean and Me.
Re: Worries after Barney's castration and hernia repair yesterday
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »
I hope Barney is feeling better today x x x  Its the worst thing when your little furry friend is ill and they can't tell you what is hurting.  When my Louiebean was poorly after his castration I gave him bach rescue remedy ( and I had some too  ;)).  It really helped calm him down when he was distressed as he is a bit of a wimp too.

Sending lots of hugs to you both. x

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 11:02:08 PM »
Has anyone heard from Sam? Hope you are all ok Sam, been checking in all day for an update on Barney (and Sapphi and you of course) Thinking about you. Jann :luv:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 11:14:42 PM »
Thanks everyone  :luv:

Sorry I've not got on sooner this is the first time I've had chance to get on the pc.

Barney had another rough night, although the vomiting and diawotzits had stopped.  At 1am I tried him lying on me again, like he did for the whole of the previous night, and this time he settled for a couple of hours but then he was crying again. Let him out for a bit, then let him paddle around and he eventually began to get sleepy so I got him in his crate and he settled and he was fine for the next 3 hrs or so until OH got up.

Today he's been much brighter thank goodness. Had a few bits of crying and pacing early on this morning but since then he's been much better.  The vet was pleased with his wounds, and his gums had pinked up again and his temp was fine so I think he's back on track.  

The only thing now distressing him is the bucket. I spent ages this morning trying to adapt one of OH T-shirts, but it was a bit of a disaster. Ideally a childrens one would have been better but I just didn't have the energy to go to the shops and then the vets. In the end I bought a dog jumper when I went to the vets. I got a bigger one so that I could adapt it, so since I got in I've spent ages adding poppers and panels to it to try and cover up all the bits required.  I think he'll have to have his bucket on at night, but during the day it will be enough to keep him at bay until I notice.
It will also stop him scratching with his back paw and it will stop both Sapphi and Max from licking him.  ::)

I need eyes in the back of my head! Barney's licking Sapphi's eye and Sapphi and Max are licking Barney.  >:(

I am feeling pretty wrecked now, hoping for an event free weekend.

Hopefully I'll get a good nights sleep tonight, but not before I've worked out my BARF shopping list which I've been doing all week, but thanks to my furry friends I've been kepts a bit busy.

When my Louiebean was poorly after his castration I gave him bach rescue remedy ( and I had some too  ;)).  It really helped calm him down when he was distressed as he is a bit of a wimp too.

Why on earth didn't I think of that!  ::) I've flipping got dog anxiety drops and rescue remedy and it never entered my head.  ph34r
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 11:24:19 PM »
SO glad he's feeling better - I've been checking to see an update this evening  ;)

You've really been through it haven't you!  I hope that at that loving licking doesn't do any harm  :luv:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »
 ;)just thought i'd check in again before bed. Glad you've posted Sam and that Barney's a bit better, hope tonight is not as eventful. You could do with a good rest it must have been very stressful for you. Hoping tomorrow you'll feel a bit calmer. When I read Louiebean's mum's post I thought exactly the same as you, Why didn't I think of that? Hindsight's a wonderful thing ! Anyway, take care love to Barney :-* :luv:

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 01:57:36 AM »
Glad to hear things are improving for you - love to Barney  :-*
Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
Glad he is feeling better  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
Oh Sam, sorry I have only just caught up with this, you have been through the mill girl!!!!  I hope Barney is feeling better this morning and I bet he looks drop dead gorgeous in his jumper.  :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »
Well he's much better today, and wanting to play with Max.  :D

But he will just not stop whinging.  ph34r It not the sad whinging of the previous two days, he's just continually whinging.  Despite hours adapting the jumper yesterday the little devil still got to his castration wound.  >:( He gets really stressed with the bucket on so I was wracking my brains what to do. Then a friend suggested the pants for bitches in heat. So OH was sent to buy some this morning and they do the trick perfectly.  :blink:  Because he's got the jumper on protecting his hernia wound you can't really see them so its not too embarrassing for the poor lad.

I am hoping for a less eventful week next week. Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
Then a friend suggested the pants for bitches in heat. So OH was sent to buy some this morning and they do the trick perfectly.  :blink:  Because he's got the jumper on protecting his hernia wound you can't really see them so its not too embarrassing for the poor lad.

and you are wondering why he is whinging  :005:

bless just kidding ;) It doesn't matter what they look like so long as dont make themselves worse.
Glad to hear he's a bit better, was getting worried yest when we didn't hear from you x

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »
I was getting a bit worried too, but I'm thrilled that he seems to be recovering at last.

Here's hoping for a better week for you next week.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »
 ;) Glad to hear Barney's on the mend. Hope you're not going to embarrass him by showing us a pic of him in his jumper and pants??  :huh:  :P ::)

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
Oh Sam, just seen this...

I hope Barney continues to improve, and you soon have a whinge-free Barney...

Petra

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »
I don't know if you have one handy, but a kids/babies vest with poppers between the kegs can be a good substitute.

Hope he's feeling brighter soon. :luv:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 08:28:32 PM »
aww missed this...poor Barney ..glad he getting better  ;) ...sending some healing thoughts x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"