Author Topic: Funny breathing - advice please!  (Read 813 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Funny breathing - advice please!
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »
My cocker is 10yrs old and has had pretty good health. A couple of years ago he started seriously snoring - never gave it much though just assumed it was his older age. He has been through the mill lately with a few nasty ailments. Last summer he had a really bad wart removed from his ear. Then he was very low during Christmas which there seemed to be no reason for. In Jan/Feb he started bleeding from his little man bit and this eventually resulted in a castration to stop the bleeding. This as successful, but he had quite a seriously bad tummy for a few weeks.

Just after the op, he had a funny incident of breathing. It is heavy breathing through his nose and it's a bit like he's trying to cough too. The closest thing it looks like is asthma. It didn't return for a few weeks, then another bout. Each bout last about 3 or 4 minutes then he seems fine. Last night he had another one whilst sleeping. It woke me up.

He's always been a bit of a noisey sleeper, what I call faffing and farting and funny breathing patterns whilst dreaming, but this is a tad worrying.

I took him out yesterday for a couple of really nice long walks and he was pooped! I know he's been on short walks because of the op for recovery and needs to get back out there again, but I was a bit surprised at his panting.

As a carer for my mum, I don't always have the money for vet visits. I am insured but every time I go just for him to be looked at it's nearly £50 before the medicines.

Just to add he sleeps alot more now, since the GA he had for the castration. He's full of energy outside but when he gets in he sleeps more. His water intake has slightly risen, but it's not massive.

I am going to phone the emergency vet to see if they can advise me about this breathing, but can anyone else shed any light from personal experience? Many thanks.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Yellowboat

• Site Member
  • Honey & Holly as pups
Re: Funny breathing - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
My cocker is 10yrs old and has had pretty good health. A couple of years ago he started seriously snoring - never gave it much though just assumed it was his older age. He has been through the mill lately with a few nasty ailments. Last summer he had a really bad wart removed from his ear. Then he was very low during Christmas which there seemed to be no reason for. In Jan/Feb he started bleeding from his little man bit and this eventually resulted in a castration to stop the bleeding. This as successful, but he had quite a seriously bad tummy for a few weeks.

Just after the op, he had a funny incident of breathing. It is heavy breathing through his nose and it's a bit like he's trying to cough too. The closest thing it looks like is asthma. It didn't return for a few weeks, then another bout. Each bout last about 3 or 4 minutes then he seems fine. Last night he had another one whilst sleeping. It woke me up.

He's always been a bit of a noisey sleeper, what I call faffing and farting and funny breathing patterns whilst dreaming, but this is a tad worrying.

I took him out yesterday for a couple of really nice long walks and he was pooped! I know he's been on short walks because of the op for recovery and needs to get back out there again, but I was a bit surprised at his panting.

As a carer for my mum, I don't always have the money for vet visits. I am insured but every time I go just for him to be looked at it's nearly £50 before the medicines.

Just to add he sleeps alot more now, since the GA he had for the castration. He's full of energy outside but when he gets in he sleeps more. His water intake has slightly risen, but it's not massive.

I am going to phone the emergency vet to see if they can advise me about this breathing, but can anyone else shed any light from personal experience? Many thanks.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »
Hi Mel, sorry I have no advice for you, but I am sure somebody with far more knowledge will come along with their ultimate wisdom.

Just wanted to say that if money is a bit tight, could the PDSA, RSPCA or Dogs Trust help ? 

Gentle squidges for your cocker  :luv:

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:59:21 AM »
Hiya
I spoke to the emergency vet who seemed to think from my explanations that it could be this elongated soft palete problem. He isn't coughing which could indicate heart problems and his breathing is ok today. Been out for a walk and had a treat and now firmly afixed to my bed for sleep. He does look tired today with reddened haws and looking a bit sleepy, but maybe last nights problems made him tired.

I'm just going to keep an eye on him and see what may contribute to the odd breathing.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!