Author Topic: Travel Sickness  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Val.cuz

• Site Member
Travel Sickness
« on: November 06, 2007, 07:45:51 PM »
Hi,
My little Golden girl is 6 months old and is thriving in every way, just one problem though she gets car sick all the time, I have tried not feeding her before trips,tried putting her in a seat belt harness and tried crate but nomatter what I do she is always sick whether it is a short or long journey,has anyone got any tried and trusted remedies to stop this all advice greatly appreciated. I know I could try any number of things on the market but would love to try something that would work first time   thanks   Pebbles Mummy     

Offline pippa funnell

• Site Member
Re: Travel Sickness
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »
My puppy pippa is the same, but have put her in the car with it running but not moving, just to get her used to getting her in the car to reassure her.we can now drive for a little distance without being sick and always end the car journey with a walk in the park.Look forward to reading any more advice from COL members.Pippa's mum

Offline Albert Tatlock

• Site Member
  • Ttthhhrrrrrrppppp!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
Don't know if it works but the breeder I got Cooper off of said if puppy gets travel sick then feed it in the car every meal for a couple of days (when not moving of course  :005: ) Cooper was sick a couple of times on the 2 hour journey home, but he'd not long been fed (bit silly of the breeder I thought, but I suppose if he was hungry!) but thankfully he's been fine since. Breeder said feeding in car associates car with good things & that's how it works. Could be worth a try & doesn't cost anything if it doesn't work.

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
When Rommel was 6 months, every trip in the Jag salloon would have him throw up where he has never been sick in the little race car that doesnt even have a roof.

I put it down to the fact that in the clubby he was always busy. He would stick his head in the wind or pop his head up to bark at cars behind or whatever. Perhaps it was because he could see outside where in the jag he was too small. If he wasnt carrying on he was sleeping. Not so in the Jag. He was throwing up all over me.

I sold the Jag.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »
I am sure i have read that you can give them travel sickness tablets that you can get from the chemist and give them the childs dose.  I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a mo tho

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:09 PM »
I dont know how he travels in the car but I found with Alfie that if he cant see out then hes fine. Alfie travels in the boot in a crate and with a towel over the crate he just settles down to sleep. Billy has taken to it so well (even thought he was sick all the way home when I picked him up) that he loves the car and i sometimes have a fight on my hands to get him out :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »
Luckily Florence travels well in the car, but in the past I have used Stugeron. As jaggersmum says, give the childs dosage.

Offline Shell.B

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »
Luckily for us Cassie loves going out in the car, she's so well behaved in it better then in the house :005:
A friend of ours shows Standered poodles and she uses something similar to travel sickness tablets, think it's called sea legs. Will try and find out for you.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
When I got Charley he was always travel sick.  He vomited on his first journey home from the breeder.  It got to the point where he would run away rather than go out in the car.  Now, he can't get in the car fast enough.

I cured him by doing the following.

Not feeding before going out in the car.  Go for a short journey and take him for a walk to the local woods where he enjoyed going.  Give him a few Doggie chox when we arrived there.   I continued this with longer and longer journeys until he associated the car with enjoyable experiences.  After about five weeks he was cured, and he was able to travel to France - about 800 miles - without a problem.

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
Jake is ok for short journeys - about 30 minutes but anything longer and he's sick.

I'm trying to increase it slowly, but so far the 30 minute rule stands.