Author Topic: Barney's at the vets again  (Read 5594 times)

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
Barney's at the vets again
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:28:29 PM »
Barney is back staying over at the vets as they try to stabilise him again. :'(
Since I last wrote he had an episode of a few seizures 3 weeks ago. At that stage we managed to get him stable inside a couple of hours and he bounced back to normal immediately. He has been in great form since then and he has even lost weight as he is much more active since his meds were adjusted. He started seizing on Sunday and had 6 grand mals just one after another. Seemed to come round about two hours later but quite hyper. More seizures on and off until today with some recovery between them. Today, however he was either hyper or staggering about loosing control of his back end so the vet decided to keep him in.  :'(
My husband took him over and says our vet has said that we might need to consider that it's the end of the road for him as we can't control his seizures effectively. However he has always pulled through so far and is a really happy boy in between them. When he is seizing it is awful for us but he doesn't really know anything about them. I am just not prepared to let him go without a fight. He is a real fighter and has lots of good times between the bad- surely its worth continuing as  I really don't believe is "suffering"? We are also having major problems with our eldest son and his mental health problems so it is a difficult time for us at the moment.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Barney's at the vets again
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:27 PM »
Oh no, I am so sorry you must be going through hell.  :'( :'( Poor Barney, got my fingers crossed for him and thoughts for you and your family.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »
Poor you  :'(

Am so sorry you're all having it rough right now . Although vets know best most of the time, if you think otherwise then stand your ground. i went to the vets to say goodbye to my JRT, to cut a long story short I walked out of there ten minutes later with him in my arms. He lived another four years.

you know your own dog. If he's not suffering and you want to give him a chance then you do what you feel in your heart is the best. No one, not even the vet, will know him like you do.

Take care  :-*

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:53:28 PM »
So very sorry to hear that  :'(  ..thinking of you and sending healing thoughts and a (((BIG HUG))) x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:13 PM »
Poor you  :'(

Am so sorry you're all having it rough right now . Although vets know best most of the time, if you think otherwise then stand your ground. i went to the vets to say goodbye to my JRT, to cut a long story short I walked out of there ten minutes later with him in my arms. He lived another four years.

you know your own dog. If he's not suffering and you want to give him a chance then you do what you feel in your heart is the best. No one, not even the vet, will know him like you do.

Take care  :-*

Wot Jan said!

You do know your own dog best and if he is ok between seizures then why shouldn't you give him the best shot at life, as long as he isnt suffering in his day to day life, then I wouldnt give up on my dog without a fight either.

Thinking of you

xxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:27 PM »
Oh dear poor baby boy  :luv: All the dogs here send lots of kisses to Barney baby  :luv: :-*

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »
I agree with Jan and Caroline...

If you feel he's ok to keep going then stick with it...  you'll know and he'll tell you when he's had enough..  :-* :-*

Thinking of you lots and hope this one sorts it's self out quickly

Big hugs
Hannah xxxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
sending feel better soon wishes to Barney :-* xxxx

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »
Sending  healing hugs to Barney and you and your family  :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:42 AM »
What a terrible time you and your family are going through  :'(
Me and Betty are keeping every thing crossed for Barney  :-*

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear you're having a really rough time at the moment.  We'll be thinking of you! :'(
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »
I am sorry that Barney is back at the vets. Hope he is home with you again soon.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this.  I agree with the others.  If all he is suffering is confusion about his fits and not pain then I wouldn't give up on him either.  You absolutely know your dog better than the vet.  Of course you do.  Even my vet had to admit that in the end.  Praying for you all. :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Spaniel Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 05:02:01 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Barney and my thoughts are with you, I know in humans it can take quite a time to sort the levels out - I have a mentally handicapped daughter who had very bad epilepsy which is now very well controlled so lets hope the same for Barney. :luv:

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »
So sorry you are having such a bad time :'( Only you know what's best for your boy. and when/if the time comes you will know.
I feel so sorry for you, because I know what you are going through.
All I can do is send you lots of love.
Love machine