Author Topic: Please Help!  (Read 1165 times)

Offline amanda w

• Site Member
Please Help!
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »
We have a 2 year old cocker named Alfie. I am a little worried as last night when my husband came home from work Aflie and he had their usual roll around. While Alfie was chasing his bone he let out a yelp. Since then he has become very quiet, not the usual waggy happy tailed boy. After watching him he seems to be unable to lie down like he normally does on his front with frogged legs and just walking around slowly. Husband only took him for a short walk this morning as he thinks he has pulled a muscle. Surely if he had broken or dislocated anything he would not be able to walk. He is managing to eat and go to the toilet as normal otherwise he looks so unhappy. Though I would give it until tomorrow then if no improvement I think a trip to the vet will be in order.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »
It sounds like he could have pulled a muscle but if you have seen no improvement with him resting then I would definitely take him to the vets. Better safe than sorry.

I hope Alfie feels better soon.

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
Yep thats what I would do...in the interim have you tried slowing moving one front leg then the other to see whether it is painful for him or not...have you felt all over his front for any lumps or bumps? Could be just a slight sprain or a pulled muscle but if no better tomorrow then yes definitely a trip to the vets.

Thinking of you xxx
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline amanda w

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:26:51 PM »
Thanks for your comments and advise. Alfie is back to normal now after a lot of rest and lots of love. How they make us worry! I don't know how I would cope without COL. It's got to be the best forum ever!

Amanda & Alfie XX

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
Glad he's better, but I would be a bit careful with him for about a week as if he did pull something it might still be a bit "weak" for a while.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't walk him, but perhaps no rough and tumble for a week, even if he seems to want it (they don't always know best!)

However, if he's anything like Buddy then he's a real drama queen and there was probably nothing wrong to start with! >:(

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 03:55:35 PM »
i look after my MIL's yorkie and she is a drama queen. She sometimes get stood on by the other animals and will scream and then hold her paw up then hop around until she has had enough sympathy then miraculously be better....
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk