Author Topic: Wormer - Off colour?  (Read 5666 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
Re: Wormer - Off colour?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 01:35:26 AM »
Drontal didn't agree with Dax so we use Milbemax and he is fine with that.   ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
Milbemax for mine also, never had any side effects . I have never had any problems with worms but tbh i wouldnt want to take the chance.
Tina and Dylan

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »
I'm blown away, how can they make a negative sound so positive?? So it's obvious that there are/was a percentage who ARE/WERE affected by the taking of this medication?
Admitedly Roxy has had Drontal since i had her from 8 weeks. Before that she had stronghold. She' never had a problem like this maybe was quieter for a day but no vomiting. But then she was only having 1/2 tablet/month.

If Hamfam is correct I would refuse to pay the vets bill as they have caused the problem with over medicating.

I am confused though - why do you all feel the need to worm your dogs so often?  Are they all killing and eating live prey or going where they shouldn't?

I am not being contentious, only curious.  I would never worm mine unless I had evidence they needed it.

Cath

Cath not contentious at all, i think you have a point. TBH i've never really thought of it like this. Does everyone worm? How necessary is it is an urban surrounding? Yesterday i was informed to worm every 3 months?? It's all a bit confusing as it's what we were told by our vet from the off.
Lucy is wormed on milbemax every 3 months and shows no signs of any reactions whatsoever - she was quite poorly on panacur which is why i switched to milbemax.

Lucy will find dead decaying animals, she eats snails and slugs (a known source of heartworm) and just about anything that doesnt run faster than her, i worm her because i feel she is at risk and i would rather do that than find she is seriously ill and it could have prevented it with a pill every three months.

I understand and respect why some owners would rather not administer drugs to their dogs but for me it is a question of risk management and on balance i prefer to worm. on the other hand i do let Lucy run free in grassland and as a result she has recently succumbed to a grass seed >:D and some would only walk their dogs on hard surfaces when grass seeds are about.

Horses for courses really ;)

I thought Panacur granules were the only wormer effective against Heartworm?   correct me if I'm wrong....
helen & jarvis x

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi all, just to update you. Roxy is  much better in herself this morning although still a little off colour. we went through the night giving her the Lectade every hour which seemed to have helped

We saw Our vets practise partner this morning who was very helpful and reassuring indeed. She agrees with us that Roxy has more than likely had a reaction to the doseage of the Drontal. She want's to eliminate the prospect of it being a bug also though. She said if it is a bug too then it is a pure coincidense but wants to also eliminate that too. She took her temp and we've still got a little blood just a drop or two, nothing like last night but she seems to think that it will clear in a day or two as it is from inflamation of her bowel and it has to all come out of her system. She also gave her another antibiotic injection and anti inflammatory injection and then starting friday morning she has 3 days worth of antibiotic tabs. When we got home i gave her a little boiled rice and chicken which she wolfed down so she's definately perking up as she refused both her brekkie and dinner yesterday.

We've been asked to not re worm her for 2 weeks so her system has time to get back to normal then pop back and we can discuss the different options for worming her. Feel alot calmer than i was yesterday. She really gave me a fright.  :o

I've had to come to work for a couple of hours, but have a friend whos popped in to stay with her until i get home at 4. I feel exhausted.

The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
Glad she's feeling better - hope you get a good night's sleep tonight. Did your vet say whether she would report this as a side effect?
Lynne
x

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
She has made a big bold note on our record and she said we can discuss it when i take her back in. She said to get pup back on track first and then she'll be more than happy to discuss with us reporting the issue to the manufacturer. She was really lovely and has completely put my mind at ease. I can't wait to get home and see her though. My friend said that she is doing ok and is napping in her basket with our cat jessie whilst she watches crappy lunchtime telly. :blink:
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
So pleased she's on the mend.
My two were both sick with drontal so we swopped to milbemax. Haven't had a problem since.

sue, zak and strider x
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Glad to hear she's much better  :D :D :D
Hope you can relax and catch up with some sleep now!
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Neacy

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
Claire, I have only just seen this, so glad Roxy :luv: is getting better :D

Claire, if you need someone to doggy sit if your friend can't do it anytime just PM me as I am just round the corner. :D

Denise. x
Woo woo Mr Harv, woo woo, he's my best mate.

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
Claire OMG. Glad to read that the girl is better!!
I have been giving mine Advocate combined flea and worming treatment and they have all been fine on it, It misses some of the worm species but does cover heart worms and mine tend to play with lost hedgehogs and eat slugs!
Just in case they say it is a genetic thing!! I have never given mum or sister (in law?) Drontal, sorry you have had this bad experience but I will be avoiding it myself now!!
You might find that a spoon of probiotic yoghurt on her dinner may also help settle the tummy.
Watch the anti inflammatories and antibiotics though as they get rid of gut flora and can make dicky tums worse! even in dogs.

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »
Neacy, i'll keep you in mind that's really lovely of you, Thank you. Also Vica Versa. I can't believe we live so close but are yet to meet. Maybe in a week or so when she's back on form we can catch up for a walk with our pups?

Amanda, Thanks for the heads up.  She's had it from when we first got her as it was recommended to us, but since upping the doseage it seems to have had a massive impact on her, with awful results. I'll definately be avoiding this in future.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 05:32:57 PM »
Just read this thread - Hope Roxy is now on the mend  :luv:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
Sounds like she's on the mend :luv:

Give her a squidge from me ;)

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline degusuki

• Site Member
  • Mr.Bones
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
Glad she is on the mend. I gave all mine the Drontal Plus yesterday and watched them like a hawk. All seemed fine, Cookie had a bit of a runny bum and was a bit quiet but all seem fitting fit today even pup.
As I said in my last post I took the dosage from the NOAH Compendeum site.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »

I thought Panacur granules were the only wormer effective against Heartworm?   correct me if I'm wrong....

sorry, but almost the opposite i'm afraid, neither panacur or Drontal target Heartworms  (dirofilaria immitis or d.immitis to their friends) as far as i know only Milbemax and Stronghold spoton target heartworm.

ETA I've just checked on NOAH and Advocate spoton and Program Plus tablets are also effective against heartworm, panacur and Drontal are not

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss