Author Topic: Thornit ear powder (TEP)  (Read 6066 times)

Offline rebeccabloor

Thornit ear powder (TEP)
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
Hi all,

Just a query really on thornit ear powder....

After seeing a few threads on thornit ear powder i decided to buy a bottle from e-bay.

On e-bay there is a few different ones available.

Thornit-ltd EarClear
 and
TEP (as per thornit) formally called thornit but recent name change.

i brought the TEP and have applied it to Bentley as per instructions.

I went to the vets for Bentley's seconds jabs and showed her the thornit powder. she went off to confer with other vet came back and said to be careful what i put into my puppies ears as it could really dry it out?????

Isn't that the point?

She went on to say if my puppy's ears get waxy and are a problem then they could sell me some ear cleanser and treat any ear problems should they arise but that she didn't recommend me putting anything in his ears as he is so young (11 weeks).

I am now confused as to what to do?

HELP!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: Thornit ear powder (TEP)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
My vet had the same reaction, but have to say I use the tiniest amount and I mean like a few grains of the stuff and it keeps her ears in tip top condition, the vet always comments on how clean her ears are ;) :005:

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:02 PM »
IMO I think Thornits is better.  I had all the stuff from the vets when Lola was a puppy and her ears just got muckier and muckier and she didn't like having them cleaned - and I couldn't quite work out how putting more liquid into her ears was actually going to get them clean and dry  :huh:

One pinch of Thornits cleared all the muckiness away and now I use it about once a month to keep them clean (and I actually quite like the smell!).

Sometimes I think vets are anti-anything that they haven't prescribed and charged a small fortune for !
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
I bought my Thornit online too.  I got the same reaction from my Vet, I think a lot of people have to be honest.  I still use it, just a little as and when required, if I forget Melody has very whiffy, itchy ears but they're fine if I keep using the Thornits.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline rebeccabloor

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
So just a wee pinch once a month is ok then?

Bentley is still a baby but i assume starting young would prevent any problems in the future????????

She made me feel really bad today..... >:(

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »
I don't know whether you would need to use it if Bentley's ears are clean.  Somebody will probably be able to advise better on that.

But if you do decide to use it, put a tiny pinch on the handle end of a teaspoon and pop into his ear canal.

Magic stuff  ;)
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »
So just a wee pinch once a month is ok then?

Bentley is still a baby but i assume starting young would prevent any problems in the future????????

She made me feel really bad today..... >:(

That sounds fine  ;)  Don't worry about everything your vet says - when I told my vet they were not keen on the idea of a powder either but I took the bottle in and showed him it and he said the ingredients were similar to the ear cleaner they sell for about 4 times the price  :shades:  I have learned to be selective about what I tell the vet now - there are a few things on here, raw feeding etc that a lot of vets do not approve of.   ::)  However, vets do not know everything and as Thornit works well for loads of people on here, including me, I am quite happy to carry on using it.  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
While he is young you don't have to put it right down the ear canal just rub a bit around the opening, then it will smell nice and not be directly in the ear so you can identify if a problem does arise. :luv:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »
I started Jesse on Thornit at probably around 12 weeks old... He is a now 20 month old American Cocker with even bigger ears that English cockers and hasn't had a day's bother with his ears ever. They are always as clean and nice smelling as a whistle! I use Thornit once a week and it works well.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:13:27 PM »
I only ever use it on Wilf as Ruby is often fine so i never really use it on her at all
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lopey99

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
i cant remember when online i bought thornits from but it was a website recommended on here. From time to time cassies ears smell a bit wiffy and look a little brown so i normally use the end of a small teaspoon and put a little on end and drop it in and give her ears a good rub. By next morning her ears are usually a healthy pink colour and smell great. I only ever use it when they get like this (which is once, maybe twice a month) and i have used it on the ends of her ears when they were looking a bit crusty and it really helped there too.

Personally i would go on recommendation rather than vets opinion who often just see pound signs and i havent heard something recommended on here more than thornits!

Offline BabyB

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
A Morgan has Pyoderma, which makes his ears produce too much oil, I found that the ear cleaner from the vet (which has alcohol in it to dry the ear out once cleaned) was not really doing much.

I bought Thornits and told my vet, he was happy for Morgan to have it, but said due to the ingredients as a vet he couldn't 'officially' recommend it.  He also said that it can have a negative effect on some conditions too though.

IMO and the vets, his ears are lovely, and the best they've ever been for the past 6 yrs or so.
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
I got mine from here   http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=5851.0

I have used it in Jock (lab) who was getting constant ear infections and had to be sedated to have the ears syringed a few times  :'(
Once he was clear i used Thornitts and I haven't had to go back to the vets for ears once  :D

I have only put it in the cockers ears once

I have also bought a cheap pepper shakier and put it in their and one quick tip into each ear is all it takes  ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »
My vet wasn't keen on it either  ::)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »
We mentioned it to our vet when we took Jade in for her jab as she has one ear that gets dirty very quickly, have been cleaning it out every other day.  The vet's wasn't keen on people using powder in the ears in general as it can get clogged in the ear - i guess some people use far to much, we only use the tinyest amounts on Remy and her ears are fine.

Although she did give sell us some of their ear cleaner (alcohol based) it also changes the PH in the ear to stop the ear producing so much wax. It has worked wonders so far and there is defiantly a noticeable difference in the amount of wax produced in Jades ear. And to be fair it wasn't that expensive  - £7