Author Topic: Ear mites  (Read 826 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Ear mites
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »
How contagious are ear mites?   Next doors lab has got a really bad case and has scratched her ears raw  :'(   

My two don't have close contact - they sniff under the fence - but my neighbours are going on holiday next week, and they have asked if I will clean and medicate their dogs ears while they are away cos their live-in pet sitter is a bit too squeamish!

Will standard hand-washing hygiene be sufficient - or should I change clothes, too?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Ear mites
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
I think you should be ok with careful hand washing. Rodaidh had a mild case of ear mites when I brought him home from the gundog kennels, I got him treatment for them straight away and neither Alfie nor Tilly picked them up and they were living in the same house. I took care to wash my hands after touching Rodaidh's ears and not to touch him and then touch the other two etc.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
When Roxy had them, the vet said that it was fine to still take her to puppy classes, so long as she didn't roll around with the other dogs.  I took care not to stroke any of the other dogs for that week.  I was surprised as I thought they were highly contagious.  But it must be just very close  dog to dog contact that's an issue.

They did however tell me to wash all of the bedding and spray my rug, as they can live in those.  :-\

So maybe invest in some of those disposable aprons to wear when you treat them?  Just in case the dogs rub their ears against you. 

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »
how do you know if they got earmites

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »

The vet diagnosed these - if your dog shows signs of scratching, rubbing and/or the inside of the ears appear unusually pink, inflamed or gunky, then it's probably best to get it checked out. 

Sadly, next doors dog had scratched her ears raw until they were bleeding before her owners noticed anything wrong  :'(

I've given my two a dose of Thornits, just in case  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »

I noticed it first due to a musty smell coming from the ears.  Roxy hadn't started scratching at the point I noticed the smell and the vet diagnosed ear mites.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »
They also have a really strange smell!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.