Author Topic: Might lose my 9 week old boy.... devastating weekend.... can you help me?  (Read 40040 times)

Offline Francesca

• Pepper
Thank you everyone... it's comforting to hear your good wishes.

Pepper did come with 12 weeks free insurance from the breeder but there is a 14 day cool off period attached to it, and his problem started on day 13 of this period. I've begged and pleaded with them that for the sake of 4 hours they might consider the claim, and they're sending me a form to fill in and 'they'll assess it', but I fear this may have been a tactic to get me off the phone.

Anyone getting a new pup, check this out. The vet says this is fairly normal, although there are a couple of companies who do start insuring right from the word go.

I called the breeder soon as it happened, and although she was very sympathetic, made no offer of financial help. I wasn't quite sure whether to expect it or not, but so many of you have mentioned it, it's something I think I will broach. I'm going to wait until I hear what the prognosis is today and approach it later on.

I'll update when I have news from the vets... thanks so much everyone.

Offline BabyB

Hugs to you and to baby Pepper  :luv:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
So very, very sorry.  It is heartbreaking for both of you.

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
oh god  :'( I'm sooo sorry.  :-* to you and Pepper and hopefully he'll start getting better soon  :luv:

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
So sorry to hear this news.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
So very sorry to read this and I so hope that Pepper pulls through  :luv: :luv: :luv:

I hope you can also discuss this with your breeder along with your vet - what niggles me is that if this is a congenital condition and he's had it from birth why wasn't it picked up a bit earlier by the breeders vet?

everything crossed for pepper  :-*
helen & jarvis x

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4

So very sorry to read about poor little Pepper as you say its so unfair that you have all these problems after taking all steps to make sure things were all done properly. poor little lamb, I have never come across this problem before and can only think how terrible it is for you .
 I can only hope and pray that something is sorted out for you and for your little one.My heart goes out to you.Liz

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
poor pepper and poor you, i do hope it can be resolved   sending hugs from me and Quincy xxx
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
What a terrible situation to be in, you must be strong for Pepper, let's hope that financially things can be sorted, are thoughts are with you and little Pepper, everythings crossed.

Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Really sorry to hear the news about Pepper but as others have said, this is a 9 week old puppy with a congenital condition - the breeder is morally responsible and most probably legally responsible (if they breed quite regularly rather than this being a one-off litter from a pet bitch). I know it's difficult to think of such things when you're worrying about a sick puppy, but consumer legislation such as the Sale of Goods Act does include the sale of puppies - you should not be expected to bear the total cost of Pepper's treatment & many breeders would offer a full refund if nothing else (but of course you'd need to get your vet to supply full details of Pepper's condition to the breeder).

As a general request to other members, please could I ask that no offers of financial help be made on the forum. It's great that people care so much but it's better if this is not done here, especially when there are other options that can be explored first. Thanks.
Jane

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Thinking of you and Pepper, hope the vet can help him.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Did Pepper come with any documentation from the breeder - breeders contract etc, even the original ad which may state that the puppies being sold are healthy and vet checked?  It is very difficult to confront people especially when you're upset, but as Jane S has said you may well be covered by legislation and it would be worth seeking advice.

I would suspect that the insurers feel that the two week cooling off period is the breeders responsibililty.  

Again will be keeping my fingers crossed for little Pepper.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Karma

• Site Member

So sorry to hear this - hope the vets have some positive news for you!

I agree with Livercake that I would be concerned as to why this wasn't picked up earlier... as others have said, you may well be able to claim some money back from the breeder, which might at least help towards the vet bills...

Thinking of you and Pepper    :-*
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
Poor baby :luv: Hope the vet has some good news for you soon. Thinking of you both :-*
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline Tattydi

• Always in my heart Max RIP 21.01.09
I also send my good wishes and hope the out come is good and the poor little soul can be sorted and you can sort the money situation out. 
Love Diane x

missing my cocker kisses and cuddles :(